To Introduce Myself

DAVID COLLEDGE
20th August 2011, 20:18
I have a double interest in joining Ships Nostalgia: firstly my father, William (Bill) Colledge served in the Merchant Navy during WWII on mv. DONOVANIA and mv. DIPLODON and possibly others for which I do not have details. He attended the School of Navigation at Southhampton on leaving school (Gordonstoun) in 1939 and from 1940 worked for Anglo-Saxon Petroleum. I believe he was 2nd. Mate and he served on both aforementioned vessels and perhaps others as well. Since he died in 1987 I have no known way of confirming further his war time career with the Merchant Navy, but it is nice at least to see photographs of the vessels he sailed on. Mv. DONOVANIA was torpedoed and sank in 1941 or 42 I believe. Like all his contemporaries who were friends of both my parents, he rarely talked about his experiences during the war.

My second interest in joining SN is that when I emigrated to Chile in 1989 at the age of 38 I joined a small private company of marine hull and cargo surveyors for which I have worked ever since; so in an ironic way my career in South America has had something to do with my father's service during the war. I too went to Gordonstoun and then to university in England (my family were woolen manufacturers from Selkirk and Galashiels in the Scottish Borders).

captain61
20th August 2011, 21:45
Welcome aboard this great site

Stephen

hawkey01
21st August 2011, 11:46
David,

on behalf of the Moderating team welcome to SN.
Enjoy all we have to offer. There are members who will assist you in your research aboard.

Hawkey01

billyboy
21st August 2011, 12:44
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

James_C
22nd August 2011, 01:14
David,
A warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia where I hope you'll find much of interest!
Enjoy the voyage!

BlythSpirit
22nd August 2011, 18:12
Welcome aboard David, here is a site relating to the sinking of the Shell Tanker Donovania off Trinidad.

http://www.uboat.net/allies/merchants/ships/1952.html

You'll see some of the names of the crew referred to at the bottom of the page.

Hugh MacLean
22nd August 2011, 19:18
William (Bill) Colledge served in the Merchant Navy during WWII on mv. DONOVANIA and mv. DIPLODON and possibly others for which I do not have details.

Welcome David,
You need to obtain his service record. Was he born in Galashields?

R315649 COLLEDGE W M 03/07/1921 GALASHIELS - could this be him?

Regards
Hugh

slick
23rd August 2011, 06:59
Welcome David,
You'll find that someone here will help you fill in the gaps of your father's seagoing career.

Yours aye,
slick.

gdynia
23rd August 2011, 09:57
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

R58484956
23rd August 2011, 16:31
Greetings David and welcome to SN. Have had two superb vacations in your country. Bon voyage,