Tuxedo Princess

mick Wright
29th December 2005, 15:59
Whilst spending Xmas in Newcastle I noticed an old Ferry the Tuxedo Princess from the Larne run,now a night club moored near the Tyne Bridge but can anyone give me the history of this vessel?

Mick Wright

(Cloud) Plenty of snow in Cleethorpes. -3.

Jeff Egan
29th December 2005, 16:08
One interesting thing about the Tuxedo Princess is that for many years Gateshead counsil wanted the owner to pay rates as they argued the vessel was a building and not a ship anymore, so each time this came up (Every couple of years) the owner ordered up a pilot and some tugs to take the ship off the berth just to prove it was still a ship. Before the moves actually happened the council backed down and the pilot and tugs cancelled, till the next time.

bobby388
29th December 2005, 16:46
she sat in the clyde below kingston bridge for years as a night club before going to n/casle.there was always trouble around her although i dont know if thats why she moved (bobby)

Bruce Carson
29th December 2005, 17:21
Are her turbines still intact?--it's surprising that, as a Denny built steamship, there doesn't appear to be any thought of a restoration to running order.

Bruce C.

meechingman
29th December 2005, 19:53
Hi

Noone seems to have answered your question!

Tux is the former British Rail / Sealink ferry Caledonian Princess. (EEK)

Do a quick search around here and you'll find more info and photos.

Andy G

Alistair Black
30th December 2005, 08:02
Launched from Denny's on 05/04/61
331.5' x 55' x 17.5'
Gross tonnage 3630
11,500 SHP, 2 steam turbines.

Mad Landsman
30th December 2005, 19:16
Try this - http://www.hhvferry.com/ne_1_4.html
She worked out of Newhaven, Weymouth & Dover amongst many others. My own memories are of when she was on the Channel Islands run from 1975 to 1980 (I think).

mick Wright
1st January 2006, 11:29
Thank you Clockman gudun.

Happy New Year To you and all our shipmates wherever they may be.

Mick Wright

jbryce
1st January 2006, 20:17
I believe Tuxedo Princess was at Gateshead for several years, before she was replaced by Tuxedo Royale, which was a larger vessel. Not sure if Princess went to Hull or somewhere. Not sure if it was around the time that the Millenium Bridge was being built across the time that Royale was taken away, she may be at Middlesbrough now, and Princess was brought back.

Mad Landsman
2nd January 2006, 20:14
Current best info is that Tuxedo Princess (ex Cally P) is back at Gateshead and the Tuxedo Royale (ex Dover, ex Earl Siward) is at Middlesborough. You can't miss the Cally P she still has the old Caledonian badge on her stem which even shows up in postcards.

gadgee
11th January 2006, 19:10
Hi Mick

Have a look at this link:-

http://www.britishbuilt.wanadoo.co.uk/Tuxedo%20Princess.htm

If you enter the gallery page at this SN site and enter either caledonian or tuxedo into the search(GO) box, it will come up with much about the ship in question.

Whilst spending Xmas in Newcastle I noticed an old Ferry the Tuxedo Princess from the Larne run,now a night club moored near the Tyne Bridge but can anyone give me the history of this vessel?

Mick Wright

(Cloud) Plenty of snow in Cleethorpes. -3.

mick Wright
11th January 2006, 23:43
Cheers Gadgee Mick

taxidave
17th April 2009, 00:25
Tuxedo Princess -: Ex Cally.
Fitted out as a floating night club to be berthed on the Tyne at Gatshead and was later moved to Glasgow.
Tuxedo Royal -: Ex SS Dover/Earl Siward
Her replacement was the now the Tuxedo Royal. The Royal was later move to the old Middlesbrough Dock and moored near the 'dead' centre of Middlesbrough "MFC Riverside Stadium ".
The Princess returned to the Tyne,more commonly known as 'the Boat' left the Tyne last year for Piraeus Greece but I think has been recently been scraped in Turkey.
The Royal is still about on the Tees. She was moved to the Ghost Yard Graythorpe (Able UK) and now she moored at SLP Eng Fabrication Middlesbrough.
Taxidave

snooper
17th April 2009, 20:54
Hi,
The march issue of 'Ships monthly' had a colour feature about that place in Turkey,Aliagaa or something like that where the ships are cut on the beach.Indeed,it had a photo of the 'Tuxedo Princess',I think her bow was missing & superstructure greatly reduced.
peter