Esso Hythe entering Poole Harbour c1960

poddys
22nd August 2011, 13:28
This is a photo that I took from the Haven at Sandbanks many moons ago. I used to watch Esso Hythe come in and out regularly to feed the power station at Poole. Hope it's of interest to someone.

Cutsplice
22nd August 2011, 22:40
Seen the Hythe,Lyndhurst, Woolston etc quiet a few times round and about Fawley and Milford Haven, always seemed busy and loaded in a very short time, possibly in about an hour and then sail.
Thanks for posting the photo.

kauvaka
22nd August 2011, 23:14
Used to get into Poole for an overnight stay on the BP Supervisor in 1960. Nice place with pubs, including one with a talking parrot, and winkle kiosks on the quay. Never got beyond the quay.

Trader
22nd August 2011, 23:48
She was a regular in Dover before they closed the depot down. Esso used to bunker the hovercraft, there was a bowser down every time they came in.

Alec.

Keltic Star
23rd August 2011, 04:32
I was Mate on the Hythe in 1963, great little ship and a bobby's job.

paul0510
23rd August 2011, 10:42
...and I was relieving 2nd Mate on her for what seemed like ages in the mid 70s. Great coasting experience! Also sailed in this capacity on the Woolston, Ipswich, Penzance, Tenby and Inverness.

poddys
23rd August 2011, 11:08
I used to watch the Esso Hythe and several others (the names I forget) go in and out of Poole Harbour in the 1960's.

The only tanker I ever went on though was a Shell Tanker in Paramaribo (Suriname) about 1990. I was installing some computer software there and we got invited to lunch with the captain on board. That was a great experience.