Saguanay Line

sam2182sw
29th December 2005, 21:44
Some Time About The 1960 At Hull Docks We Had Alot Of This Shipping Companys Ships In All At The Same Time Six Thay Had All Come From The Usa Loaded With Grain Thay All Must Have Left In A Convoy Thay All Arrived Toughter It Was Unuseualy To See That Meany Ships Of The Same Line In Dock Can Anyone Put Lite On What Happened To That Company Thay Had Some Very Fine Looking Ships.there Names All Began With Sun--- Please Post Photos If You Have Any Must Have Blown The Local Shipping Agents Head In Looking After Lot Sam2182sw

Bruce Carson
29th December 2005, 22:22
Hi Sam:
Try the following URL for some pictures and information on the company:

http://iancoombe.tripod.com/id19.html

Bruce C.

John Rogers
29th December 2005, 22:29
There was a big demand for grain in Europe at the time.
John

JET
30th December 2005, 01:57
Hi Sam, In the 1959 Edition of the Directory of Shipowners, Shipbuilders & Marine Engineers it lists the company as having a Head Office in Montreal.
Its services are cargo, liner and tramp services

The fleet is bareboat chartered and there are 14 ships listed. As you said they are all prefixed Sun.
Two more ships, Sunek & Sunrhea were being built at that time.
As mentioned there was a lot of grain being transported from Canada and the U.S.A. to Europe and U.S.S.R.

The interesting item is the statement; The Company also operates more than 70 time-chartered vessels, both steam & motor.
What were the details and names of all these other ships and what happened to them and the Company?

Regards John

sam2182sw
30th December 2005, 13:23
Thanks for that lads i will look at the info you hae posted. its funny when one is sat thinking about what you have done in your life and when you join a great site like this it ame to me the ships we have worked on then thay just disapair well thats what happened about SAGUANEY. as you said there must have beem a big demand for grain to see so meany ship of one line in dok at one time was ery interisting sam

janbonde
30th December 2005, 17:18
They were also involved in the bauxite trade I was with them on their Canadian flag ships ,which traded from the West Indies up the Saguenay river in the Province of Quebec,they also had Norwegian and British flagged ships on charter,they also had bulkers built for the bauxite trade which i belive were British flagged

sam2182sw
30th December 2005, 19:39
you learn somethink on this site sam

Ron Stringer
30th December 2005, 23:15
In 1960/61 whenever we were in Bridgetown Barbados (every month) it seemed that there was a big green-hulled Saguenay boat at the new bauxite loading terminal. We were jealous because they got ashore and we only stayed anchored in the bay for about 8 or 10 hours before sailing for Port of Spain.

Ron

sam2182sw
31st December 2005, 19:50
hi ron sounds about right

Stornoway
31st December 2005, 21:52
I served with Saguenay as 3rd.and 2nd. Officer on the Sunflower in 1961/62.She was a C1A similar to the pictured Sunrose,however the previous owner had converted the wheelhouse into a passenger lounge and bar (12passengers) and added a Wheelhouse and radio room on top
She carried general cargo south calling at Bermuda,San Juan, St. Lucia,Grenada,Port of Spain and Georgetown and then loaded bauxite at the Alcan plant at Mackenzie
However due to Demerara River draft restrictios we had to top off in Chagaramus Trinidad
North bound she discharged at Alcan in Port Alfred up the Saguenay River and
Montreall in the summer.
Loading for southbound at Montreal(Halifax in Winter) and St.John N.B.
I finished my time with Saguenay as 2nd.officer on the Sunrhea a gearless bulk carrier,carrying alumina from Port Esquivill to Alcan in Kitimat B.C. and
Sundelsora in Northern Norway with a few grain cargoes in between.
I enjoyed the time I spent with Saguenay particularly on the West Indian
runs and they did pay better than most companies in those days

stan mayes
8th July 2007, 23:07
Re Postings from ex officers of Saguenay Terminals.
Do any of you remember Captain Philippe Georges ?
All through 1960's he was Chief Officer and Master of SUNRHEA - SUNFLOWER and SUNBRAYTON..

stan mayes
8th July 2007, 23:20
During 1951 and 1952 I was in two ships on charter to Saguenay.
In FREECREST,bauxite from Trinidad to Port Alfred and coal cargoes from Norfolk VA to Hamburg and Rotterdam..
In STARCREST Coal cargoes from Norfolk VA to Hamburg and return cargoes of iron ore from Narvik to Baltimore...
Coincidentally, Captain Georges served part of his Apprenticeship in FREECREST and STARCREST of Crest Line [ Ivan Ivanovic & Co ]

Don Sangster
29th January 2008, 04:14
Joined the Tricape in June 1955 Lightship Cardiff To British Guiana up the River to Mackenzie I had the Wheel when the pilot boarded and he wouldn't let me leave when my watch ended, for the next 6 months I was stuck everytime we arrived there the same going up the Saguenay to Port Alfred only went ashore once into Chicoutimi but the captain was good he used to give me 6 cans of beer each time we docked, the Tricape was owned by Triton Steamship Montreal
although we never got there managed by Goulandris Bros had a couple of bad trips ended up in drydock in Norfolk for three weeks and once in Baltimore arrived home with a cargo of grain about the 20th Dec, enjoyed time in Mackenzie never got ashore in Chagaramus Bay
Cheers Don

KYRENIA
8th November 2008, 20:05
I worked on the Saguenay ships as shoregang rigger in London in the 1970/80,s. They berthed in the West India docks then when these closed to the Royal Albert. They usually topped off with cargo in Avonmouth. Saguenay did a joint service with T & J Harrisons to the West Indies.They often carried racehorses to Barbados. I believe the Saguenay ships returned to the U.K via Canada.
Cheers John.

eldersuk
8th November 2008, 22:49
Sailed on a 13 month voyage on the "Sunjarv" on charter to Saguenay. We were on the bauxite trade.
Part cargos from Mackenzie, Guyana and top up in Chuagaramus, Trinidad. Thence to either Europe, usually Norway, or to Port Alfred. We also did one trip from Port Alfred to Kitimat.

Derek

Paul Baxter
8th November 2008, 23:53
Hello Sam.

I was nopt at sea when the ships arrived in Uk all with grain,but I was on the Canadian Pacific vessel Beaverelm when containers had just taken over the Uk-Canafa route in CP Ships and the Beaverboats then where all on short voyage charters. The Beaverelm was on one of these and did a round trip chater to the West Indies from London.these dates where 22-9=70 till 12-01-71.Outwardbound we carried three zoo animals to Barbados and on the return to the Uk (London) lost a crew member over the side and was strike bound at South-end for a long time.Outbound and homeward bound the vessel was full of general cargo.
Beaverelm off no.304325 london ton 2099 bhp 20700

A very pleasant voyage in contrast to winter N.Atlantic.

Cheers

doddy
29th January 2009, 17:17
Hello Sam
As a young boy I travelled from Tilbury to Guyana as a passenger on the SS SPURT registered at Farsund.She was a Sam Boat and under the flag of Saguenay Terminals.

canada tom
11th November 2010, 23:49
It was my intention to emigrate to Canada. So joined Saguenay.Was sceduled to join the Sunrhea but a domestic problem of a crew member saw me sent instead to the Sunk as 4th. eng. Oct 1965-Jan 1967. Carried grain from St. Lawrence to Europe, alumina from Jamaica to Kitimat and Point Comfort Texas to Sundalsorra Norway.
Company's office was at 1066 University St. Montreal. British flag and Canadian East Coast articles. Wages were excellent.Catering was as good as I had experienced on passenger liners.Was on board Sunek when we collided with the Lawrencecliff Hall in the St. Lawrence.Paid off in Kitimat and stayed, eventually becoming a Canadian Citizen

Macbarry
11th December 2010, 09:03
i done the same trips as stonaway on sunpolyna with sunpolynesia beloning to eniar rassmussen in68-69 fantastic runs all the best macbarry

oldsalt1
1st April 2011, 16:39
Saguenay Terminals were the shipping arm of ALCAN – Aluminium Company of Canada.
The company owned and chartered in general cargo ships and bulk carriers. The prefix “Sun” was given to the names of most of the ships.
The main stay cargoes were bauxite and alumina from the West Indies and South America to various aluminium plants where the raw materials would be converted into aluminium products.
In the late sixties Scottish Ship Management (SSM) chartered the Hogarth owned geared bulk carrier Baron Dunmore to Saguenay. Cargoes of bauxite were loaded in Guyana, Surinam and at Chaguramas in Trinidad, usually for Port Alfred on the Saguenay River in Quebec. Alumina was loaded in Port Esquivel or Rocky Point, Jamaica again for Port Alfred or occasionally Kittimat BC. The Baron Dunmore also loaded bauxite at Conakry, Guinea and, Bintan, Malaysia for discharge at Port Alfred. Grain cargoes were also carried during this charter period.
Before the charter of the Baron Dunmore was completed negotiations were completed with SSM for the ten year charter of two new gearless bulk carriers slightly larger than the Baron Dunmore at 23,340 tonnes deadweight. One was to the order of Lyle Shipping which was a partner in SSM with H Hogarth and Sons and was provisionally named Suncape The second was for Hogarth and was provisionally named Sunbaron. These were built in Norway by Kaldnes Mek Verksted in Tonsberg and were strengthened for navigation in ice. Both came into operation in 1971. Unusually both ships were chartered to ALCAN (Bermuda) and not Saguenay. The provisional “Sun” prefixed names were not used. The Lyle ship was named Cape Race and the Hogarth ship was named Baron Belhaven. Both wore the hull colours and funnel logo of SSM. Grey hull with red boot topping along with cream coloured accommodation block. The funnel was pink with a black top bearing a blue coloured seahorse holding a trident. Shortly after the new ships began trading the Baron Dunmore came off charter to Saguenay.
Both ships traded almost exclusively with bauxite and alumina although the Cape Race did carry a cargo of soya beans from Norfolk Va. to Santander in Spain in 1975 and both ships carried cargoes petroleum coke. During the winter the ships traded to Port Alfred and during the summer cargoes of alumina were carried to Blyth and to the Swedish port of Kubikinborg. The two ships were fitted for carrying part cargoes of Bunker C oil if required. This was to be loaded in Chaguaramas for use at the up-river loading ports in Guyana. These cargoes were rarely carried during the first years of the charter and then not at all.
Part of the charter arrangement was that the ships would carry Guyanese ratings; this was in keeping with the Saguenay tradition of employing crews from the Caribbean. They were signed on at British rates of pay and worked within the recently introduced General Purpose (GP) manning system.
In 1979 both ships were sold to Alcan Shipholdings (Bermuda). SSM retained the management of the ships and the only thing that changed was that the funnel lost the blue seahorse and trident.
The management of the two ships was transferred to Denholm Ship Management of Glasgow in 1986. The Cape Race became the Northern Pioneer and the Baron Belhaven was renamed Northern Explorer. Both ships were then registered in Bermuda and British crews were employed. The funnels were repainted with the ALCAN logo

In 1990 both ships were sold to Greek owners Golden Union. The Cape Race/Northern Pioneer becoming the Flag Eva and the Baron Belhaven/Northern Explorer the Flag Marina. This latter ship, after some years with Chinese owners and an apparently chequered career survives as the Panamanian flag Lucky Winner.
These two ships were replaced by three Japanese built gearless bulkers managed by Denholm with British officers and far eastern ratings until sold. The Northern Enterprise of 66,995 tonnes dwt built in 1985. Northern Venture and Northern Progress of 36,455 tonnes dwt both built in 1989. All three survive albeit with different owners. The first as the Lowlands Saguenay and now as VSP Titan and the sister ships as Federal Venture and Federal Progress respectively.
As for Saguenay Terminals, apparently they have gone the same way as many respected shipping companies and charterers. No doubt chartered tonnage of various flags now carries the raw materials and finished products for ALCAN.

canada tom
2nd April 2011, 14:24
Thanks to oldsalt1 for a good write-up. I should mention that after leaving the Sunek in Kitimat, I went to work for Alcan, Kitimat. It was with nostalgia that I visited Saguenay ships in Kitimat. (All my old crew-mates had my phone number) It's true what they say, "It's difficult to swallow the anchor"
Eventually did time with Canadian Armed Forces, Sea Element.

Mariner44
5th February 2012, 21:48
I spent 2 years on the Sunwalker and Sunbrayton, 1968-1970 on the weekly run between Mackenzie, Guyana and Chagaramas, Trinidadian. Skippers were Hobbes, Roberts, McOnie and Pakri. It was a bit 'wild' but great fun and lucrative. During the 2 years there was growing 'nationalisation' as officer jobs had to be filled by Guyanese nationals - usually Demerera river pilots.

canada tom
7th February 2012, 14:07
I spent 2 years on the Sunwalker and Sunbrayton, 1968-1970 on the weekly run between Mackenzie, Guyana and Chagaramas, Trinidadian. Skippers were Hobbes, Roberts, McOnie and Pakri. It was a bit 'wild' but great fun and lucrative. During the 2 years there was growing 'nationalisation' as officer jobs had to be filled by Guyanese nationals - usually Demerera river pilots.

You mentioned skippers Hobbs and Roberts.
Both names ring a bell.
Chief mate on the Sunek 1966 was Roberts.
He was English with a large family and had a large house in South England. Had lived in British Guana (probably born there)
Had lived and worked in Canada probably in the Great Lakes area.
I think he served in WW11
Was a great help in assisting me to pay-off in Canada

Mariner44
7th February 2012, 15:40
You're right, he was raised in Georgetown, Guyana.

His brother was editor of one of the local papers...maybe the Guyana Graphic, and a very nice house right next to the cricket ground where we went for dinner and drinks one night with my missus who stayed in Guyana for 3 months at the Park Hotel.

Alan Hobbes left Saguenay and became a Humber pilot.

Did you sail with Eddie Wells, by any chance, when with Saguenay. He and I did our tickets together and used to meet up when on leave. He's now living in Canada.

canada tom
9th February 2012, 17:07
You're right, he was raised in Georgetown, Guyana.

His brother was editor of one of the local papers...maybe the Guyana Graphic, and a very nice house right next to the cricket ground where we went for dinner and drinks one night with my missus who stayed in Guyana for 3 months at the Park Hotel.

Alan Hobbes left Saguenay and became a Humber pilot.

Did you sail with Eddie Wells, by any chance, when with Saguenay. He and I did our tickets together and used to meet up when on leave. He's now living in Canada.

I do not recall Eddie Wells.
I was 4th. Eng.
I remember one navigator from Trinidad
One Engishman who emigrated to Vancouver.
Cadet was Hemmings.
3rd. Mate Patrick Peirce was from India and ex-BNI
He visited me regularly in Kitimat and decided to also emigrate to Canada.
He paid off in Panama and found his way to Vancouver, and worked on the BC. coast eventually becoming a BC pilot residing in Victoria.
We met when I was in the Canadian Forces visiting Esquimalt.
He now lives in Abbotsford BC and we are in frequent communication.
When I was on the Sunek we had three Greek junior engineers, recruited in Rotterdam.
I was on the Sunek when we collided with, and sank, the Lawrencliffe Hall in the St. Lawrence River.
Had a good time in Levis dry-dock

Mariner44
9th February 2012, 17:40
Bob Hemmings, the cadet, was a real "Jack the lad". He sailed with me as an uncertificated 3/0 on 'the shuttle'. He couldn't take his drink.

I met him some years later in South Wales, along with Eddie Wells. He had married a school teacher and was very much under her control. The thumb print was clearly visible on the top of his head!

I was on a cruise last December on the Queen Victoria and met one of the engineers who worked on the Sunek at the drydock back then. Small world!

canada tom
9th February 2012, 19:31
We took Hemmings ashore in Bellingham, Washington. Aged 19 he was not permitted to drink, but he sat along-side us, in the restaurant section separated by a rope. He drank coke.
Miltos the Greek junior kept topping-up Hemmings coke with rum. OK till Miltos dropped the rum bottle on the floor. The waitress (Madam Hitler) dashed over and sniffed the "Coke"
We got out just before the arrival of the "Boys in blue"

Always wondered about Hemmings after we introduced him to "Demon rum" after the 8-12 watch

canada tom

canada tom
9th February 2012, 19:45
Was it a ships's engineer or one of the dockies?
Our second Peter Allan was big and a Scot. The 3rd Joe Markof was from Yorkshire.
Then Tom a hard working 4th.
I did all the nights on board
I took bunkers. I took the first night on board. Joe did the second night.
But we were seldom in port 2 nights.
Hence the 2nd never had nights on board.

Mariner44
9th February 2012, 21:29
The missus has just reminded me. The engineer is French Canadian, and is first name is Giles. He worked for Saguenay for about 5 years, I believe.

Mariner44
9th February 2012, 21:31
By the way, I think he was working shoreside at that time, at Davy's in Lauzon opposite Quebec City.

canada tom
10th February 2012, 10:05
We did have a FC eng. cadet. He lived in the Gaspe peninsula.
Originally worked on the "Lakers"
Deep sea time was equivalent double the lakes time.
His intention was to return to the lakes as wages there were excellent.
We dry docked at the Davey shipyard.
I was contacted by a Quebecois, who had resided on the banks of the St.Lawrence close to our collision point.
He sent me an excellent copy (in French) of the report he had compiled.
One evening, waiting for the bus, outside the Davey Yard, in the company of Mac, my welsh Junior, a Quebesoise lady said, in English,
"Have you been here long?"
Mac said, "Six weeks"
The lady replied, "Then, I haven't missed the bus."

True! I didn't make that one up.
canada tom

Mariner44
10th February 2012, 10:57
Hi Canada Tom,

I laughed out loud ("lol" as my daughters tell me) at the bus story.

Here's a photo of Giles, the engineer.....40 years on from when you met him (if indeed you did). He's on the right.

john richards
10th February 2012, 11:37
Canada Tom,Amazing ! Blast from the Past I rememberboth Pete Allan & Joe Markam I joined the Sunrhea in Port Esquvel Jamaica 6 March 1968 as 4th Engineer and paid off in Rotterdam 21st December 1968 with Jimmy Carolan
2/eng & Joe Markam 3/eng did Kitimat, Sundsval Sweden. Marseilles France there for 2weeks height of summer Good criagh John Richards

canada tom
10th February 2012, 19:54
Canada Tom,Amazing ! Blast from the Past I rememberboth Pete Allan & Joe Markam I joined the Sunrhea in Port Esquvel Jamaica 6 March 1968 as 4th Engineer and paid off in Rotterdam 21st December 1968 with Jimmy Carolan
2/eng & Joe Markam 3/eng did Kitimat, Sundsval Sweden. Marseilles France there for 2weeks height of summer Good criagh John Richards

I think Peter Allan went on the Lakes.
Joe Markham was on the Sunrhea after the
Sunek
Met both of them regularly in the bar in Kitimat
(there was only one bar)
This thread is sure spinning out; that's good,

canada tom
10th February 2012, 19:58
I think Peter Allan went on the Lakes.
Joe Markham was on the Sunrhea after the
Sunek
Met both of them regularly in the bar in Kitimat
(there was only one bar)
This thread is sure spinning out; that's good,

Maybe we met in the Kitimat bar.
There were other crew members in the bar with Joe.
I'm a Scot and at that time worked at the Alcan smelter

Cranky
11th February 2012, 05:20
Wondering if anyone remembers Jean Lois Garron or Ron Gale, mates on the Sun boats late sixties early seventies.

john richards
11th February 2012, 10:32
Hi Canada Tom, I do remember the bar @ The Kitimat Hotel in fact we where in there one night and a Big Brown Bear was trying to get in the foyer of the hotel ! The manager shood it away, he said they are coming out of hibernation because the smell of the bakerey then they go routing in the bins. I vaugely remember another place we used to drink a resturant something resembeling a Swiss Chalet also some meeting like a Caledionian Club Pipes and a band dancing etc or was that somewhere else. I might have met you , we used to talk to some lads from the Alcan Plant good atmosphere. I remember going ashore one night and looking up at these huge banks of snow that had been cleared by the snow plough , the driver said they had 26 foot of snow recently. Anyway Tom I have fond memories of Kitimat, We sent one of the J/E`s ashore to buy a rifle for target shooting we had permision of the Skipper, The J/E came back with a 308 cal bear rifle and a bag of bullets! I took it back and bought a more sensible 22 rifle and boxes of ammo, left the rifle onboard when we paid off in Rotterdam. Cheers Tom. John Richards

Mariner44
15th February 2012, 20:34
The chief engineers on the shuttle boats I sailed on were Karl Reinholdt and (I think), Fred? Williams.....but there was a third one who was something of a character/oddball whose name I can't remember. For the 6 months he spent on board he just has a bag the size of an aircraft carry-on bag.

I understand that he'd inherited a load of shares for the LaBatt breweries, and was worth a mint. Reputedly his home address was the penthouse flat at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel in downtown Montreal. His personal hygiene left much to be desired, but fortunately he took his meals in his cabin.

Did you come across him?

John Gillespie
2nd March 2012, 12:03
Sailed on a 13 month voyage on the "Sunjarv" on charter to Saguenay. We were on the bauxite trade.
Part cargos from Mackenzie, Guyana and top up in Chuagaramus, Trinidad. Thence to either Europe, usually Norway, or to Port Alfred. We also did one trip from Port Alfred to Kitimat.

Derek
Was the "Sunjarv" owned and manned by Elder Dempster personnel.?
Johnl

Erimus
2nd March 2012, 18:08
In 1958 I joined Constantines in Middlesbrough in their agency department, the most hated job was the sending out of Cargo Circulars for the regular Saguanay Sailings....we employed a Cargo Canvasser in MIddlesbrough. The Head Office in London was the joint UK Representative for the Line along with Bahr Behrend in Liverpool. Whilst Avonmouth figured on some sailings, then Liverpool, we were more interested in the Glasgow & Tees loadings where we were agents. These circulars had to be issued within 48 hours of our receipt of stemming and that meant that if the girls couldn't get the Banda to do the labels then I, as office boy, had to take about 250 of them home and handwrite the addresses..........then post them the following day.

This service was full Liner only and was to the West Indies,multi-port, with a wide variety of goods, mainly industrial and agricultural....they were loaded at Dents Wharf in Middlesbrough.

Saguanay UK Ltd had an office on London Wall I believe..

geoff

eldersuk
3rd March 2012, 01:16
Johnl

The 'Sunjarv', ex 'Gjendefjell' was bought by Paddy Henderson's just about the time they were taken over by ED's.

The manning was mixed ED's and Paddy's although mostly ED's.
Master, Duncan Campbell
Mate, Pete Finan
2nd Mate, Frank Waring
Ch. Eng., Billy Williams
2nd Eng. Myself
Ch. Stwd, Ken O'Nions
Burmese crowd with Chinese Chippy (Not the take-away kind)
2 Chinese fitters

Derek

annag_57
16th April 2012, 03:05
hi, i am trying to locate an ex-crew member who worked on one of
the saguenay ships that use to carry bauxite from guyana to the caribbean, his name is jose zamora, and he was from honduras, i dont know the name of the saguenay ship,but it was somewhere between 1954 and 1957 if you have any information i will be gratefull
annag

annag_57
16th April 2012, 03:11
Johnl

can you say what year was that ,when you sailed on the saguenay ship to guyana to collect the bauxite

annag_57
16th April 2012, 03:13
can you say what year was it that you sailed to guyana to collect bauxite on the saguenayship, and do you know any jose zamora

Erlingh
15th October 2012, 14:24

Derek

Hi, My name is Erling Hellesund I am interested in the former name of MV Sunjarv. I wonder if she is the former MV Gjendefjell built in Sunderland for Norwegian ships owner Olsen & Uglestad Oslo. Do you now ?

A.D.FROST
15th October 2012, 14:40
Hi, My name is Erling Hellesund I am interested in the former name of MV Sunjarv. I wonder if she is the former MV Gjendefjell built in Sunderland for Norwegian ships owner Olsen & Uglestad Oslo. Do you now ?

SUNJARV(ex.GJENDEFJELL) 1964 Acquired for 425,000 by British & Burmese SNCo.(Elder Dempster) to meet an offered British ship(A Canadian trade union requirement hence purchaced from Norwegian owners)six year paper pulp charter.Inteded name SUNSALWEEN but chaters selected SUNJARV.

raybroad
6th January 2013, 01:34
in 1959 i was 4/engineer on the s.s.federal voyager a british ship chartered to the canadian government home port montreal when in canada. i remember the many sun ships of sagueney terminals at that time. i think there were 30 in total. they were very nice ships with a reputation for good feeding.

ATISS
14th February 2013, 09:12
I was born in Guyana then British Guiana and I am researching material about Guyana and those who might have been in contact with Guyana. I have found the names of several individuals from Guyana who worked on ships out of Guyana including the Saguenay lines, their names were:
Carlos Pinheiro, Romeo Pinheiro, Bobby Pinheiro, Larry Pineiro, Alfred Alsop, Curtis Warren, Richard, Gill, Andre Gill, Aloric Gill and some other names I will post later. Does anyone know of them? Please feel free to contact me anytime.

Mariner44
14th February 2013, 10:32
Demond Alleyne is the only crew member's name I recollect - he was pumpman on the Sunwalker while I was there 1968-70.

ATISS
14th February 2013, 16:40
Demond Alleyne is the only crew member's name I recollect - he was pumpman on the Sunwalker while I was there 1968-70.

Thanks Mariner44, do you have any photos and memories of your voyages to Guyana that you would like to share, if so I can give you my email address and you can send them to me. I will give you the attributions for your contributions.

Mariner44
14th February 2013, 19:45
I shall delve into my archives. I am sure I have a box of colour transparencies from the late sixties that may trigger some memories. They'd need to be digitised for sharing/transmission.

ATISS
14th February 2013, 23:46
Fantastic, try to contact me via the messaging and we can go from there. If there is anyone with any info, any connection or anything about British Guiana (Guyana) please feel free to contact me.

Thanks
Ian

Phaussler
25th July 2014, 23:37
I worked on the Sunwalker during the summer of 1969 as a officer cadet. The skipper was Pakri. As a nineteen year old and coming from Montreal,it was quite an experience .

Patrick

dave beaumont
26th July 2014, 03:32
Been watching reruns on tv here of television show Seaway made in the sixties. and Saguanay ships featured quite a bit.Any one on board when filming done.

Mariner44
26th July 2014, 14:04
I worked on the Sunwalker during the summer of 1969 as a officer cadet. The skipper was Pakri. As a nineteen year old and coming from Montreal,it was quite an experience .

Patrick

I must have been on leave or else on the Sunbrayton that summer.

I had 3 or 4 months sailing with Pakri. An interesting time - he didn't trust any of his deck officers: had to be called for every alteration of course no matter what time of day or night, and when we were loading at Mackenzie he wanted to be called every time we about to shift holds to check our calculations.

The Mate (a Brit living in Portugal - forget his name) eventually invited Pakri to do the loading watches if he didn't trust his team! He backed off a bit after that.

R396040
26th July 2014, 14:24
Remember when sailing on Cunard cargo ships on the Montreal run in the sixties made a one off call up the Sagenuay River to port Alfred with cargo. Very picturesque river run from the St Lawrence to docking,wild counntry. Cant remember much in Port Alfred though just couldnt wait to get to Joe Beefs in montreal.
Sttuart