USNS Perry

GBXZ
28th August 2011, 06:40
I recently watched a SKY "big ships" doco about the USNS Perry and her replenishment capabilities . The embarked Helo that she was using for Vertep appeared to have civilian registration. Is this usual ?

triumphguy
6th September 2011, 20:47
I recently watched a SKY "big ships" doco about the USNS Perry and her replenishment capabilities . The embarked Helo that she was using for Vertep appeared to have civilian registration. Is this usual ?

Many of the underway replenishment ships used by the USN are former Navy ships, now operated by civilian contractors. Although under the control of the USN, the ship itself is not USN and the crew are civilians. 'USNS' (United States Naval Ship) identifies such a ship (as opposed to 'USS', United States Ship).
The helo has a civilian registration number because it is a civilian aircraft operating off a civilian ship.
Cheers,
Patrick Cherry
USN 1974-1978

GBXZ
14th September 2011, 07:28
Thanks Patrick

mrcanoehead
17th February 2012, 15:00
belive the copter company is still GEOSIS, they used pumpas & lynx copters, also heard that evergreen is doing it as well.....

surfaceblow
17th February 2012, 17:27

MSC operates most of the underway replenishment ships with civilian crews. In a move for cost saving MSC has contracted out the operation and maintenance of the helicopters used on some of the USN vessels. Some of the USN ships are operated by contract companies.

Joe