Any information on MV Fishpool appreciated

bcweb
29th August 2011, 17:05
Hi
My father's brother, Joseph Cummings was a gunner in the 1st Maritime Regiment of the Royal Artillery. He was killed in action while on the MV Fishpool on 25th July 1943 in the harbour at Syracuse
So far I have found pictures of his grave in Syracuse and a photo of the ship. I have not really discovered whether there were any survivors or what actually happened, apart from the fact that it was bombed and had a considerable amount of aviation fuel on board.
If anyone has any details at all about what happened I would be very grateful.

Bob Cummings

R58484956
29th August 2011, 19:52
Greetings Bob and welcome to SN. Good luck with your search. Bon voyage.

billyboy
29th August 2011, 23:15
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

gdynia
30th August 2011, 06:28
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

captain61
30th August 2011, 10:25
Welcome aboard this great site. Good luck in your search

Stephen

James_C
31st August 2011, 00:43
Bob,
A warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia where I hope you'll find much of interest!
Enjoy the voyage!

peter drake
4th September 2011, 20:04
Hi Bob Billy McGee's excellent book Ropners Navy States that Fishpool was hit by two direct hits which set the cargo on fire blowing the ship to pieces .Eighteen of her crew survived.

Pete

john hardy
2nd October 2011, 02:36
hi bob, my uncle, thomas hardy, (cook) was also killed on the fishpool, according to family history he was assisting the gunners at the time, maybe with your uncle. my father james stoddart (butch) hardy, (cook) was on the same convoy in syracuse at the time, can't remember which ship, but it will have been one of ropners, regards, john hardy.