Saying Hello

Jock's grandson
30th August 2011, 11:59
Morning all.
I have just happened on this site and was reminded that that my Grandfather was a sign-writer with Everards in the 50's/early sixties with responsibility from painting ships names and funnels with the Everards flag.

I can remember visiting him as a very young teenager in the yard. When we asked for Davie Martin we were met with "don't know anybody by that name" at the gate. with a bit more enquiry we found out why......... everybody knew him as Jock.

As i really knew little of him I would be grateful for any information anyone can supply

captain61
30th August 2011, 13:02
Welcome aboard this great site. Have a look in the fishing forum, you should get plenty of help on there, Good luck in your search

Stephen

hawkey01
30th August 2011, 16:48
Jocks Grandson,

on behalf of the Moderating team welcome to SN. I wish you well with your research.

Hawkey01

billyboy
31st August 2011, 00:19
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

James_C
31st August 2011, 00:42
A warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia where I hope you'll find much of interest!
Enjoy the voyage!

Keltic Star
31st August 2011, 04:58
Morning all.
I have just happened on this site and was reminded that that my Grandfather was a sign-writer with Everards in the 50's/early sixties with responsibility from painting ships names and funnels with the Everards flag.

I can remember visiting him as a very young teenager in the yard. When we asked for Davie Martin we were met with "don't know anybody by that name" at the gate. with a bit more enquiry we found out why......... everybody knew him as Jock.

As i really knew little of him I would be grateful for any information anyone can supply

Welcome aboard. I hope they gave your grandfather more paint to do his job than they issued as deck stores to their fleet. I recall having to take three old paint brushes back to the stores in Greenhythe to prove they were worn out before new ones were issued.

That said, I would still do it all over again, happy memories and a great learning experience with Fred's Navy.

GWB
31st August 2011, 07:34
Welcome aboard from Brisbane in Oz. enjoy the trip and meet the crew.