Capt R. L. Richards (BoB Richards).

Alan Richards
3rd September 2011, 00:13
Hi

Anyone remember my Father Capt R. L. Richards (BoB Richards) ?

The ship's I remember he was Master on were :

Neass Seafarer - Neass Champion - Neass Texas - Neass Lousiana - Neass Trader

I would love to hear from anyone who remembers him.

I remember a name from the office, Mr. Lily I forget his first name.

I remember a 1st mate one of the times I sailed on holiday Dave Berry.

Regards

Alan Richards

John Cassels
3rd September 2011, 09:49
Morning Alan,

Never sailed with your Dad but he was a well known Master with Denholms.

Bill Lilley was one of the ship group managers.

Alan Richards
3rd September 2011, 10:08
Hi John

Thank you for quick response. Yes Bill Lilly, that was the name.
My Dad passed away a few years ago.
He was with Denolms a long time, most all of his seafaring career.
Thank you for remembering him.

Alan

Alan Richards
3rd September 2011, 10:13
John
Just read the quote at bottom of your message.
Very good I lime it ha ha !!

Alan

Alan Richards
3rd September 2011, 10:16
Predictive text aaaaaargha !

I like it !

Alan

John Cassels
4th September 2011, 10:52
Sorry to hear that Alan , I know he was a well respected Man.

Although I never actually served with him , am sure I met him once.
Either he was leaving a ship which I was just joining - or the other way
about.

Am actually in the middle of France with the caravan just now but when I get
home , will have a look through the pile of Denholm magazines I still have
and see if I can find anything of interest to pass on to you.

Alan Richards
4th September 2011, 13:01
Thank you very much John
Much appreciated

Enjoy your holiday in France
Hope the weather is good for you

I am out in the sticks just now holidaying in a chalet in Perthshire Scotland

Take care

Alan

Bigmo
4th September 2011, 13:33
Alan, I sailed with your father from October '73 to May '74 when I was Ch.Officer on the Naess Louisiana as she was then. He was a gentleman and a pleasure to sail with.

r b quiery
4th September 2011, 22:54
I sailed with your father on the champion in 1964 he relieved capt Mcphee in San Pedro after she ran aground at Jebel Dhanna.
rodney miegran was c/o not sure of spelling. Fred Keddie was 3/0 Jimmy prentice was c/s Bob Woods & my self were the apprentices
As i remember it he was a gentleman regards

John Cassels
5th September 2011, 09:55
I sailed with your father on the champion in 1964 he relieved capt Mcphee in San Pedro after she ran aground at Jebel Dhanna.
rodney miegran was c/o not sure of spelling. Fred Keddie was 3/0 Jimmy prentice was c/s Bob Woods & my self were the apprentices
As i remember it he was a gentleman regards

Your name rings a bell from the distant Denholm days.

You're nearly right , it was Rodney Megran.

Angus Murray
5th September 2011, 17:40
Alan
Your message had me checking my Discharge book as i (so i thought) remembered your Dad well. My discharge from the CRINAN (3rd Mate - March 1968) shows that i was signed off by RL EDWARDS, same initials but different Masters of same vintage. Judging by other comments, they both had a common characteristic - both being perfect gentlemen! Maybe some other members can recall the other RL.

Regards

Angus

QUOTE=Alan Richards;535887]

Regards

Alan Richards[/QUOTE]

r b quiery
5th September 2011, 18:14
I also sailed with R L edwards when i was 3/o on the Crinan I remember a small gruff welshman who was a nice guy.

DCMARINE
6th September 2011, 13:52
Sailed with R.L. Edwards when I was 2nd Mate on Kyoto Forest in 1971.
Donald Campbell

Stephen J. Card
14th September 2011, 21:04
Hi John

Thank you for quick response. Yes Bill Lilly, that was the name.
My Dad passed away a few years ago.
He was with Denolms a long time, most all of his seafaring career.

Alan

Alan,

Sad to hear that your father has passed away.

Captain Richards was master on my second ship, the motor-tanker WARWICK FORT.

I joined the ship as Deck Cadet in Bahrain on 23rd July 1971... a mere forty years ago! We bunkered then went round to Jebal Dhannah to load crude for discharge Japan. Back to the Gulf for another cargo, again discharge Japan (Chiba) then down to Singapore. Into drydock and the everyone paid off 27th October... ship sold!

So... there in my Discharge Book on the right hand side a smart rubber stamp... "R.L. Richards".

Stephen

jimonty
1st October 2011, 05:16
hi allan,
i joined the "seafarer" under your dad in Rotterdam 1964, as a first tripper 5th engineer, on 5 of the most incident filled voyages imaginable. how your dad survived as a skipper and retained his sanity says so much for him as an absolute gem and a gentleman !!
jim montgomery oban, argyll
ps it will take several pages to fill you in on these voyages

jimonty
1st October 2011, 05:43
hi allan,
i joined the "naess seafarer" in Rotterdam in 1964 as a first tripper 5th engineer sailing under your dad on 5 of the most incident packed voyages imaginable. these demonstrated what a gentleman who some how retained his sanity under the most trying of circumstances he was.
if you are interested i will relay these stories to you, although it will take up several pages !!!

jim montgomery
oban
argyll

Alan Richards
2nd October 2011, 15:22
Jim I'd love to hear your stories.

Also I can pass all these stories to his grand children and great grand children.

Regards

Alan

Alan Richards
2nd October 2011, 15:49
Hi Stephen

The Warwick Fort that rings a bell.
I think I have some old photo's of that vessel somewhere, I was very young at the time when he sailed on her.

Regards

Alan

Alan Richards
2nd October 2011, 15:56
Jim

A wee story, My brother and I and of course our Mum were on the Seafarer with Dad when the Seafarer was in dry dock in Marseille (is that spelling right). We were all onboard for 6 months. My brother Ian and I went to school there for the few months. I vaigley remember an island with a prison we went to visit would that be right ? (Memories) !!!

Regards

Alan

Charles Stephen
3rd October 2011, 14:11
I sa iled with Capt Bob Richards on the Naess Louisiana for a number of voyages. A real gentleman he was. I was his Catering Officer. Charles Stephen .Kinghorn. Fife

Alan Richards
3rd October 2011, 18:39
Hi Charles
Its a small world right enough, we moved to Burntisland 46 years ago from Glasgow, we were their for 10 years. Stayed at 11 Greenmount Drive, Burntisland. We stay up North in Brechin, Angus now.

John Cassels
3rd October 2011, 20:00
Charles , your name appears a few times in the Denholm news from yonks
ago.

Your fantastic menus on the Lousyanna to begin with ?.

LTS
3rd October 2011, 21:04
Hi Charlie.

Sailed with you on Nordic Sky in '78.

Do you remember picking up Vietnamese boat people in the South China Sea.

This was before the Wellpark incident and we were told by the office not to stop and help any boat people.

If I remember right we towed them to just off the coast of Thailand, fed and watered them, and gave them directions to reach a port.

Regards, LTS

BTW, do you still play the pipes?

chadburn
4th October 2011, 16:31
I sa iled with Capt Bob Richards on the Naess Louisiana for a number of voyages. A real gentleman he was. I was his Catering Officer. Charles Stephen .Kinghorn. Fife

Brave Men serving on Sulphur Carrier's(Applause), had a chance to serve on the Texas and decided against it.

muldonaich
4th October 2011, 19:22
they were ok as long as you kept the exhausts clear with the pick axe handle you soon found out if the watches chains rings were gold or not iwas a long time on the lousy i can tell you she did not deserve that name i went through a hurricane on her off the usa coast think it was called arlene they took some battering in the n/a for years good sea ships handyman was killed on her cadet hurt when i was there eddy keaveny was chief steward on her that trip rgds kev.

Richard Mobey
4th December 2011, 00:12
Hi Alan,
Just found this site, good to see old names and ships.
Your father was Captain on the Naess Louisana on my first trip to sea way back in 1972. I remember him as a gentleman although to this day I still remember him only allowing me a half pint of lager on my 18th on board the ship !!
So sorry that he's passed away but I still remember him clearly.

Regards,

Richard.

Alan Richards
4th December 2011, 02:18
Hi Richard

Thank you for remembering my father.
That sounds just like him 1/2 pint of lager for your 18th !
When I sailed with him as a young lad I remember
All tbe lads playing darts and cards for 200 fags.
It was a small bar but there was always a good crack.
Fond memories.

Best regards

Alan Richards

ghaldane
20th February 2012, 15:36
Hi Alan
My dad is David Berry (I presume the same one!?!) I was in fact browsing to try to find a picture of the Naess Seafarer and came across this forum!
Sadly my dad is in a nursing home and, as it is his birthday tomorrow, I was hoping to find a decent picture that I could have had enlarged and framed for his room. We only have a rather dog-eared postcard which he sent to my sister & I many years ago!!! My mum sailed with my dad on the Naess Seafarer (and so did my sister) and they have cine film of many voyages, including her going through the Suez Canal. My dad became a pilot in Grangemouth shortly after I was born in1961. I am sure my mum will know your dad, I will speak to her tonight.

Kind regards
Gail

Gulpers
20th February 2012, 22:53
Gail,

On behalf of the SN Moderating Team, a warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey!
You will thoroughly enjoy your time on SN and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)*

Here's a start for your photograph search.

There are a couple of small pictures of NAESS SEAFARER here (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/search.php?searchid=1091038) in our Gallery.

Hopefully some more will turn up for you. (Thumb)

Alan Richards
21st February 2012, 07:43
Hi Gail
Thank you so much for getting in touch. I do remember your dad at Marrsiell in dry dock South Of France.
I'm sure Your Mum and Dad and either you or your sister were on the Naess Louisiana or Texas too. It must have been in the seventies I guess. Best regards to your Mum and Happy Birthday To Dave your Dad. Bless him so sorry to hear he is in a home. I'm 55 now getting on eh !! I vaugly remember visiting your mum and dads with my family at their house it must have been close by. At the time we lived at 20 Craignethan road,Whitecraigs, Newton Mearns. My Dad also was a Pilot on the river forth. At that time we moved to Burntisland in Fife. He covered Grangemouth too. I dont know if it was at the same time, my memory is not so good. I work on an Oil rig "Claymore Platform" as Maint Supervisor. I am onboard right now. I get home 28th Feb.
Anyway its brilliant to hear from you.
Hope your Mum and Dad remember us.
Take care
Alan Richards

Alan Richards
21st February 2012, 07:49
Hi Gail
Back again found this picture of the Neass Sea Farer I googled it. Follow the link below.

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=1326647

Regards
Alan

ghaldane
22nd February 2012, 00:35
Hi Alan
Was great to hear from you - my mum & I had a great day going through photographs, as she was sure she had a few from that time! So far we can only find one of your mum paddling in the sea at Marseille with my mum & dad! We have now to find the videos, which were made from all the old cine films, which she says feature your dad, mum, your brother, yourself & my sister!! My mum has very fond memories of you all! If we find them I will definitely send you a copy!
Many thanks also for the link to the photographs - they're great.
Regards
Gail

Alan Richards
22nd February 2012, 15:59
Hi Gail
That would be brilliant thank you so much.
The Seafarer was in dry dock for 6 months I think.
My brother Ian and I went to a french school while we were there. I was quite young I only had to write english from a book and do simple maths. Ian was 4 years older and had to do more advanced stuff. We got a taxi from the ship to school and back.
I seem to remember checked bomber jackets we both wore, funny what sticks in your mind. Sorry I'm just ranting off what I remember. Gosh I was 9 when we moved to Burntisland when my Dad got a job as Forth Pilot so guessing I must have been about 6 or 7 years old. Only guessing. Sadly my Mum, Dad and brother have all passed away.
So I love to hear all about happy times :O)
My email address is alan.richards1956@yahoo.co.uk
I do have old photo's my Dad left, I should have a good look through them and see what I can find.
Take care Gail
Alan

tomrussell
6th March 2012, 10:34
Hello Alan, I remember your dad. He was a really nice guy. I was a first trip electrician on the Naess Texas, joined Rotterdam sept 1966, and paid off dec. '66. Also sailed with him on Naess Louisiana from May '72 until Oct '72. He hadn't changed, still a nice guy.
Tom Russell

tomrussell
6th March 2012, 10:44

Hello Charlie, I don't know if you will remember me, Tom Russell, electrician. I was on the sulphur tankers with you. I remember going up to the Spindletop Restaurant with you playing your bagpipes. Happy times. I don't live in UK now, moved to South France a few years ago
kind regards
Tom

Alan Richards
7th March 2012, 10:32
Hi Tom

I love to hear all the stories everyone has.

Cheers
Alan

MGow
14th January 2013, 02:20
Hi Alan
I'm researching family tree and wanted to contact you as I have found a Cptn Robert Richards in our family tree. Did your father have a brother Thomas and sister Sheena? Was his mother Anna McDougall, and grandfather Thomas L McDougall?
If so- please get in touch.
Thanks
Mike

donald murray
5th December 2014, 13:43
[UOTE=Alan Richards;535887]Hi

Regards

Alan Richards[/QUOTE]

donald murray
5th December 2014, 14:02
Hello Alan
I have been browsing through SN and saw your text although its a few years old I hope this will be of some interest to you. I was deck apprentice on the Naess Texas from 30/01/66 to 31/07/66 and if I remember right your Dad joined with me at the same time in Rotterdam. He was on board with me the full six months. A quiet, much respected Master and a proper gentleman. Some of others on board were Archie Galbraith (C/O) Mel Murray (2/O) Willie MacAuslane & Gerry Duncan (3/Os) The other two apprentices were Jack Davidson and Dave Rennie. Port Sulpher and Beaumont were not the most exotic of ports but I enjoyed my time on board very much
Best regards
Donald Murray

Alan Richards
5th December 2014, 14:16
Hi Mike
Yes that is my Dad
His brother Tom and sister Sheena are still on the go.

My number is 07732 933792 if you want to text or call.

Email is Alan.richards1956@yahoo.co.uk

Look forward to gearing from you

Take care
Alan

Stephen J. Card
5th December 2014, 14:56
[UOTE=Alan Richards;535887]Hi

s
Alan Richards[/QUOTE]

Alan,

Possibly the name is Dave Perry.

Stephen

donald murray
5th December 2014, 17:32
Alan,

Possibly the name is Dave Perry.

Stephen[/QUOTE]

The two deck apprentices with me on the Naess Texas in 1966 were Dave Rennie (Edinburgh) and Jack Davidson (Dunblane). They were both Crinan intakes January 1964. I was in the July intake relieving them in Middlesborough July 1964
Best regards
Donald Murray

muldonaich
6th December 2014, 00:40
I sailed with a Dave Perry on the seat rain ships he was ex Manchester liners brgds kev.

muldonaich
6th December 2014, 00:42
I sailed with jack Davidson when he was mate and he was a bloody good one.brgds kev.

Alan Richards
6th December 2014, 09:54
Hi Donald

No his name was defiantly David Berry

Look a few pages back, his daughter Gail got in touch.

Thank you mate
Take care
Alan Richards