Andrea Doria

Piero43
30th December 2005, 16:55
This is a picture of the newest Italian Navy ship, at her christening in Fincantieri's Riva Trigoso Yard.
Andrea Doria is the first of class of the franco-italian Horizon project for a multipurpose frigate.
Her sister ship Caio Duilio is under construction.
Piero

bobby388
7th January 2006, 02:31
Hi Piero if you wernt a member id say that wasnt real it is absolutly butifull post a pic when she.s afloat honestly its lovely
REGARDS
Bobby(Glsgow)

John Rogers
7th January 2006, 02:40
What a great looking ship,the lines, so futuristic in design, I bet she does not give of much of a signature.
John

non descript
7th January 2006, 10:04
Great photo Piero, thank you.

tanker
7th January 2006, 15:18
Bella foto Piero molto interessante.
Gp

lagerstedt
8th January 2006, 05:06
A great photo. I don't recall seeing a vessel of that tonnage sitting on a rubber tyred low loader before. Is that the normal method launching a vessel of that size? How do they launch like that - drive it start into the sea or river? I recall a Swedish passenger ship by that name or one similar to that which collided with another vessel in heavy fog in the Atlantic. Am I correct with the name and collision.

Regards
Blair Lagerstedt
NZ

ruud
8th January 2006, 08:59
A great photo. I don't recall seeing a vessel of that tonnage sitting on a rubber tyred low loader before. Is that the normal method launching a vessel of that size? How do they launch like that - drive it start into the sea or river? I recall a Swedish passenger ship by that name or one similar to that which collided with another vessel in heavy fog in the Atlantic. Am I correct with the name and collision.

Regards
Blair Lagerstedt
NZ
Ahoy Blair,
Indeed you are correct, here that story:
http://www.andreadoria.org/

Piero43
8th January 2006, 11:46
... I recall a Swedish passenger ship by that name or one similar to that which collided with another vessel in heavy fog in the Atlantic. Am I correct with the name and collision.

Regards
Blair Lagerstedt
NZ

Hello Lagerstedt!
It's not exactly as you say:the "Andrea Doria" was an Italian liner of Italia Navigazione SpA. She was rammed and sank on 26 july 1956 off Nantucket Lightship by the Swedish America Line "Stockholm", with the loss of about 50 passengers and crew.
The name Andrea Doria is recurrent in both merchant and naval italian ships, being the name of a glorious admiral of the ancient Genoese Republic (abt XVI century)
Piero

Piero43
8th January 2006, 12:16
This pic seems to have raised quite interest, so I will tell something more about.
I feel "Andrea Doria" a little "my ship", since I worked at the Horizon Project from 1994 to 2001, although not as designer but only as work planning manager for the Italian ships. The UK Navy was part of the project until 1998, when resigned and proceeded separately with the Type 45's design and production.
The ship is pictured in the Fincantieri's Riva Trigoso Yard, near Genoa, where she was built. The wheels beneath her are part of a new launching system, that replaced the slipway (aircraft carrier "Cavour" has been the last ship to be launched in Riva Trigoso in the traditional way)
The ship is assembled and pre-outfitted in the workshops. When ready to launch, she is transferred by mean of a series of motorized dollies in the open, and then rolled by the same dollies on a barge, and towed in Muggiano yard, in La Spezia, abt 30 miles eastward.
There the ship is rolled from the barge in a floating dock, the dollies are removed, the dock sunk, and the ship is floated and transferred to the berth for her completion.
This method seems quite intricate, but, although by far less spectacular and "romantic" than the launch from the slipway, is economically much more convenient.
Riva Trigoso Yard has no outfitting berth, and lays in an open bay; the slipway has to be built up and removed every launch, with very high costs.
I will send photos of the launching operations of "Andrea Doria"as soon as i can find them.
Piero

lagerstedt
13th January 2006, 23:42
Thanks for the info on the launching method.

Regards
Blair Lagerstedt
NZ