Uncle John Dive Support

david freeman
4th September 2011, 18:19
Is this semi submersible still around offering dive support?

john fraser
4th September 2011, 18:57
Is this semi submersible still around offering dive support?

Still around as Uncle John,or was,a couple of years ago,owned by Caldive in the States.

DenisM
5th September 2011, 18:10
Still owned by CalDive, working in GOM full time. Crewed by C-MAR UK and C-MAR Canada, with now a few US nationals from Caldive in the marine crew compliment

nav
6th March 2012, 09:46
This may be of interest to you. As mentioned elsewhere on the forum, men of this calibre are very rare indeed.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/9087320/Professor-John-Houlder.html

She was drydocked in Tyneside in two adjacent drydocks whose centrelines corresponded very closely with her hull centrelines. It was a bizarre sight to see her straddling the ground between the dock gates. An innovative solution for a great character of a vessel.

RayJordandpo
10th March 2012, 19:32
I worked on the 'Uncle John' in the GOM. I was working for C-Mar (UK) as was a lot of the marine crew. C-Mar (Canada) had a lot of guys on board. The rig was owned and operated by Caldive who also suppled the divers, construction workers, welders etc.

Onzie
23rd October 2012, 21:28
Anyone know if Gordon the ETO still there?
He had been there since day 1 and was there around 5 years ago last time I was on it.

RayJordandpo
24th October 2012, 11:05
He had been there since day 1 and was there around 5 years ago last time I was on it.

He was there when I was on it, his back to back was a British guy who lived somewhere in Central America, owned a farm there as I recall . The Captains were Fred Dupoy and Bill Eslar. Dive Superintendants were both called John (Rey?)

NINJA
24th October 2012, 18:16
An old man was asked, "At your ripe old age, what would you prefer to get - Parkinson's or Alzheimer's?"
The wise one answered, "Definitely Parkinson's. Better to spill half an ounce of Whiskey, than to forget where you keep the bottle!!"

telecaster
24th October 2012, 18:28
Worked on the Uncle John when she was in for repair a Smiths dock (North Shields)in the 1970's...I was on the docking squad when she docked with a pontoon in No 4 dock and the other on in No 5 dock...Was a hair raising expierience for some of the young uns working on her as the means of boarding was a metal cage,vivid memories of a certain crane drive watering his plants in his cab as he was hoisting the cage....happy days.

My other memory is of the Rig Master,he was a dead ringer for John Cleese!

john fraser
25th October 2012, 08:11

Don,t know about Uncle John but I know that last year Caldive paid off UK and other nationalities from DSVs Mystic Viking and Kestrel. One excuse given was that Obama was trying to create employment for US nationals and,Us owned ships had to have US crews.in the GoM
I reckon it was all down to costs.as they cut even the feeding rate.and I see their shares have dropped. I suppose they kept on the staff they couldn,t replace with US nationals. Gordon shaw on Uncle John was a cadet with me in the 70,s

BOB.WHITTAKER
26th October 2012, 10:13
Worked on the Uncle John when she was in for repair a Smiths dock (North Shields)in the 1970's...I was on the docking squad when she docked with a pontoon in No 4 dock and the other on in No 5 dock...Was a hair raising expierience for some of the young uns working on her as the means of boarding was a metal cage,vivid memories of a certain crane drive watering his plants in his cab as he was hoisting the cage....happy days.

My other memory is of the Rig Master,he was a dead ringer for John Cleese!

TELECASTER ,I think the "John Cleese" Rig Master you remember was not off the Uncle John but one of the Kigsnorth Rigs that went alongside at Smith's,I can (Probably with other ex Houlder personnel) put a name to him.I can assure you that none of the Bargemasters on the Uncle John around that era resembled John Cleese,who they did resemble is another matter though. Cheers Bob Whittaker

George Simpson
27th October 2012, 11:08
TELECASTER ,I think the "John Cleese" Rig Master you remember was not off the Uncle John but one of the Kigsnorth Rigs that went alongside at Smith's,I can (Probably with other ex Houlder personnel) put a name to him.I can assure you that none of the Bargemasters on the Uncle John around that era resembled John Cleese,who they did resemble is another matter though. Cheers Bob Whittaker

Bob I think John Cleese was in fact John Pickles he was Kingsnorths Marine super.

As for the smiths dock have a look at the photo I submitted a while ago, http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/251502/title/uj-in-refit/cat/500

George

PS I hope you and your family are well.

BOB.WHITTAKER
28th October 2012, 08:41
GEORGE, John Pickles AKA John Cleese, spoke to Mike Boland two days ago, he was of the same opinion. Everything ticking along nicely ,family extremely well,I've got the the standard problems of advancing years (70 next time) like a new knee-general arthritus-bad back-high blood pressure, but it is all under control with the right pills. Thank The Lord for " The N.H.S. "
The Pucketts called on Boland last week,albeit briefly,having also called at the Campbells.Things reported as AOKin all three households . Cheers BOB

british hazel
26th February 2013, 22:46
Hi There ....

I am just wondering if you remember the Treasure Finder...What happened to her... is she still in service... also is the Brent Delta still going...

Cheers Gents All The Best Dave...

nav
28th February 2013, 00:01
Hi There ....

I am just wondering if you remember the Treasure Finder...What happened to her... is she still in service... also is the Brent Delta still going...

Cheers Gents All The Best Dave...

Still going strong. She became the Polyconcord in 1992, and then sold by Rasmussen to Prosafe in 2001 and renamed Safe Hibernia in the Mexican Gulf where she remains to this day.

http://www.prosafe.com/safe-hibernia/category145.html

Brent Delta info here:

http://www.shell.co.uk/gbr/aboutshell/shell-businesses/e-and-p/decommissioning/brent-field-decomm-studies/status.html

Blackal
28th February 2013, 07:34
Polyconcord - Made the Norwegian headlines back in 1994, when she broke her moorings in Bergen Fjord. Drifted across the fjord and ran aground around the same time as it hit the bridge...........

Al :)

Ken Wood
23rd June 2013, 18:02
Spent many weeks on Treasure Finder as Shell marine rep when she was working in the Brent/Dunlin/Cormorant fields. Also Treasure Hunter and various Safe flotels. Mainly good times although I did witness helicopters falling into the sea unfortunately. The Rasmussen marine personnel were very good to work with. The big advantage with the Finder was her hanger and twin helidecks which were invaluable for the work she did.

Jim Glover
23rd June 2013, 19:35
Worked on the UJ on the Magnus Repair Job to one ofthe legs in 1990 .It took 7 weeks to carry out all the diving and hyperbaric welding work .Gunter Straub was the Diving Superintendant .Very good vessel for working alongside platforms

ben27
24th June 2013, 00:32
good morning nav,sm,6thmarch,2012.12:19:46(4)re:uncle john dive support.i have just read your link on this old thread.he was a great man in his field,and having 5 wives,a great lady's man.an interesting thread,stay well.regards ben27

davand2007
27th March 2014, 16:25
I helped to build the Uncle John in Arendal and Oslo in the 1970's. I worked as a paint inspector for Camrex Paints and we did all the ballast areas with thick bitchmen coatings. I worked on the individual pontoons in Arendal and then these pontoons were floated up Oslo to be constructed into the full submersible. I helped to finish of the Uncle John in Oslo.

Years later I saw her being deadlocked in Smith Dock North Shields. What an unforgettable sight.

davand2007.

BOB.WHITTAKER
30th March 2014, 11:47
DAVE , I was one of Houlders Standby Chief Engineers in both Arendal and Oslo during the build of The Uncle John the other was Ben Blyth . I certainly remember you and your involvement with the Camrex coating of the ballast tanks , a " Rolls Royce " job . ( Which is more than can be said for the engines that were installed )
One person who I'm sure you will remember and probably dealt with the most of the Houlder personnel would be Gavin Hunter who was the Hull Inspector another would possibly be Ken Gant who was Project Manager . I'm Still in touch with Gavin albeit infrequently and he lives near Powburn north of Morpeth . Best regards Bob Whittaker