Hormuz

Aberdonian
8th September 2011, 11:26
My years working in the Port of Dammam in Saudi Arabia included the period of the Iran-Iraq War (1980-1988). Several neutral ships came alongside with minor damage after attacks in the Strait of Hormuz by Iranian forces using fast launches. One such vessel was a P&O cargo ship; her bridge front had been sprayed with automatic gunfire.

The most mindless assault was on a sheep carrier up from Australia. The attackers had fired RPG rounds into the exposed upper pens killing and wounding many animals.

Incidentally, this was also the first time I saw a long-range mobile phone call being made. The Saudi consignee used his brick-size device from the quayside to call the shipper in Australia to complain about the sheep being underweight. We older guys have reason to feel as if we are living in an age of erstwhile science fiction.

sparkie2182
8th September 2011, 13:14
Good day........

We possibly met up ............. I recall a number of expats working in Damman at that time in the dockside.

best regards...........

S2182

Aberdonian
9th September 2011, 11:34
Good day........

We possibly met up ............. I recall a number of expats working in Damman at that time in the dockside.

best regards...........

S2182

Warm greetings, Sparkie 2182,

Sad to say, and try as I might, I can't recall ever having the pleasure of meeting up with you.

Aberdonian

Waighty
12th October 2011, 16:37
My years working in the Port of Dammam in Saudi Arabia included the period of the Iran-Iraq War (1980-1988). Several neutral ships came alongside with minor damage after attacks in the Strait of Hormuz by Iranian forces using fast launches. One such vessel was a P&O cargo ship; her bridge front had been sprayed with automatic gunfire.

The most mindless assault was on a sheep carrier up from Australia. The attackers had fired RPG rounds into the exposed upper pens killing and wounding many animals.

Incidentally, this was also the first time I saw a long-range mobile phone call being made. The Saudi consignee used his brick-size device from the quayside to call the shipper in Australia to complain about the sheep being underweight. We older guys have reason to feel as if we are living in an age of erstwhile science fiction.

Did you know Steve Hockley, he was working in the docks in Dammam for a German outfit after leaving Bank Line. I believe he's a postman these days!

G0SLP
12th October 2011, 17:15
I was going in & out of the Gulf on reefers at the time - frozen chickens from Brazil... I remember that livestock carrier - it was upwind of us at one point :o . "Corriedale Express", iirc

Aberdonian
13th October 2011, 10:36
Did you know Steve Hockley, he was working in the docks in Dammam for a German outfit after leaving Bank Line. I believe he's a postman these days!

An ex-Andrew Weirs man I met at a residential compound outside Dammam worked for the German outfit BCO. I canít recall his name but he kindly passed on to me several Bank Line magazines.

BCO operated out in the anchorage off Dammam discharging into various types of barges. They also handled Lash ships.

What did your man sail as in his Bank Line days?

Aberdonian
13th October 2011, 10:52
I was going in & out of the Gulf on reefers at the time - frozen chickens from Brazil... I remember that livestock carrier - it was upwind of us at one point :o . "Corriedale Express", iirc

Thatís the ship, Mark. I get your drift re your being upwind of the vessel! The Saudis insisted upon berthing those carriers as far away from the port office block as possible, but to no avail since the prevailing shamal carried the sheep odour in their direction in any case.

sparkie2182
13th October 2011, 10:56
" frozen chickens from Brazil"

SNAP!!!!!

I was on the Port Alfred.

:)

G0SLP
13th October 2011, 11:10
" frozen chickens from Brazil"

SNAP!!!!!

I was on the Port Alfred.

:)

I did three round trips on the 'Meltem', which was a regular, in 1987.

Mark

Waighty
5th February 2012, 11:10
An ex-Andrew Weirs man I met at a residential compound outside Dammam worked for the German outfit BCO. I canít recall his name but he kindly passed on to me several Bank Line magazines.

BCO operated out in the anchorage off Dammam discharging into various types of barges. They also handled Lash ships.

What did your man sail as in his Bank Line days?

Apologies for the delay in replying! Steve Hockley sailed on the Marabank as 3/0 with me in 1971. He was on the Bank Boat, also as 3/0, that grounded and sank at Matarani (Northbank?). He left shortly after that and got a job with Hansa Line as one of their reps in Dammam after a "makee learnee" spell in Bremen. As a cadet he was with NZS and we first met on MAR course at King Teds in 1968.