Shaw Savill Line

brandane
16th June 2004, 08:56
Greetings from Auckland New Zealand

I am ex assistant Purser on Shaw Savill Line serving on Passenger Ships "Southern Cross" , "Northern Star" and "Arawa" from 1967-1973.

Since 1973 I have been living in New Zealand and have worked continuously in Passenger Services with Air New Zealand in Auckland.

I am actively involved with the Shaw Savill Society NZ Branch in the capacity of Committee member and Subscriptions Officer and assist with the organisation of reunions and meetings in NZ.

Would like to hear from any former sea-going staff or shore based staff interested in joining the Society in either UK, Australia or New Zealand.

Jamie Shedden , Shaw Savill Society, New Zealand

Steve
16th June 2004, 09:37
Hello Jamie and welcome to SN, as you can see we are in the early stages but thanks for joining and hope to see you on the Boards.

steve

Ian
16th June 2004, 22:44
Hi Jamie,
Welcome to the site.
Great to have you aboard. Never sailed with Shaw Savill but as R/O with a number of British and Canadian companies in the fifties and sixties.
Am wondering if you have a site for Shaw Savill. I am about to add a couple of new sites to my personal site including Shaw and Bank LIne.
Hope to see you often.
Cheers from Montreal.
Ian
(Admin).

brandane
17th June 2004, 07:01
Hello Jamie and welcome to SN, as you can see we are in the early stages but thanks for joining and hope to see you on the Boards.

steve

Hi Steve

Thanks for welcoming me to SN - I am sure it will be very successful webpage once people get to know about it. I will certainly pass on the website to our Society members in NZ, and I am sure there will be good input from some of our members. I have a few photos which I hope to be able to include when I find out how to do it!!

Cheers Jamie

brandane
17th June 2004, 07:12
Hi Jamie,
Welcome to the site.
Great to have you aboard. Never sailed with Shaw Savill but as R/O with a number of British and Canadian companies in the fifties and sixties.
Am wondering if you have a site for Shaw Savill. I am about to add a couple of new sites to my personal site including Shaw and Bank LIne.
Hope to see you often.
Cheers from Montreal.
Ian
(Admin).

Thanks Ian for your words of welcome - I am sure it will be a great site once more and more sailors register and get nostalgia flowing!

We do not have a website as yet - although it has been suggested and discussed - the cost of set up has determined the delay as retired sailors are loathe to part with their hard earned subs!!

There is an excellent website which you may not be aware of :
www.ssmaritime.com
and one which relates the history of "my ship" ss Southern Cross
which has only recently gone to the breakers just short of her 50th Anniversary.
www.ssmartime.com/sthcross2.htm

So much to read about the old ships and so may happy memories.
Thanks for the opportunity to spread the " word " around the globe.

Cheers Jamie

david smith
17th July 2004, 16:05
Try looking at www.coastalcrafts.co.uk (my site) which directs to www.shawsavillships.co.uk where there are loads of photos of Shaw savill ships

juddyroth
26th August 2004, 03:53
undefinedThanks Ian for your words of welcome - I am sure it will be a great site once more and more sailors register and get nostalgia flowing!

We do not have a website as yet - although it has been suggested and discussed - the cost of set up has determined the delay as retired sailors are loathe to part with their hard earned subs!!

www.ssmaritime.com
which has only recently gone to the breakers just short of her 50th Anniversary.

Cheers Jamie

juddyroth
26th August 2004, 04:05
IAN,I have just joined up with shipsnostalgia so forgive if I lose my way around the site.I'm a silver surfer of 80 yrs and trying my best.During WW2 I sailed on board the "TROPIC" when she was called SAMSYLVAN,and i would love a photo of her as she then was.All my best wishes in your venture with the Shaw Saville club/web page in the future - juddyroth

Steve
26th August 2004, 11:33
Welcome to Our little group juddy !

Ian
26th August 2004, 15:11
Good to have you aboard Juddyroth!
You must have some REAL stories to tell. My sea time was relatively short but long enough for me to realize that if I didn't quit and get a shore job I would be in trouble later on..............now I wish I had stayed just a few years longer but then might not have been able to retire at 53!
Too bad ships do not carry .sparks' anymore otherwise I might just get the wanderlust again (don't tell my missus though!?).

Best wishes from one of my favourite ports, Montreal.

Ian
(Admin).

John Rogers
29th August 2004, 18:26
Hi Steve

Thanks for welcoming me to SN - I am sure it will be very successful webpage once people get to know about it. I will certainly pass on the website to our Society members in NZ, and I am sure there will be good input from some of our members. I have a few photos which I hope to be able to include when I find out how to do it!!

Cheers Jamie

I hear that you have a good MN branch in Auckland.

PSherborne
3rd April 2005, 04:45
Hi Jamie,

I'd be interested in finding out a bit more about the SSL society. I have many familiy connections with SSL and would like to chat to a few who know more than myself.

Paul

3rd April 2005, 09:47
During WW2 I sailed on board the "TROPIC" when she was called SAMSYLVAN - juddyroth

Samsylvan was built at Bethlehem-Fairfield shipyard. Yard number 2256, November 1943. Originally named J. Whitridge Williams, she was completed as Samsylvan. She was renamed Tropic in 1947 and San Francesco in 1952. On 31st January 1960 she grounded near Hainan Island on a voyage from Whampoa to Yulin. She was refloated but damaged and sold locally for scrap. On 9th June 1960 she foundered in a typhoon at Hong Kong, while awaiting scrapping. She was raised and scrapped locally.

Information derived from "The Liberty Ships 2nd Edition" Sawyer & Mitchell (1985)

Cheers,

DaveM

warwick
17th June 2005, 10:04
Hi Jamie. Glad to see you've found this excellent website. warwick

Greetings from Auckland New Zealand

I am ex assistant Purser on Shaw Savill Line serving on Passenger Ships "Southern Cross" , "Northern Star" and "Arawa" from 1967-1973.

Since 1973 I have been living in New Zealand and have worked continuously in Passenger Services with Air New Zealand in Auckland.

I am actively involved with the Shaw Savill Society NZ Branch in the capacity of Committee member and Subscriptions Officer and assist with the organisation of reunions and meetings in NZ.

Would like to hear from any former sea-going staff or shore based staff interested in joining the Society in either UK, Australia or New Zealand.

Jamie Shedden , Shaw Savill Society, New Zealand

lapoolcan
9th March 2006, 04:46
Sailed on the Arawa 3 trips deep sea as an engineer in 1970- 1971.I also did a couple of coastals on the Akaroa before sailing as 4th Engineer on the Medic.
Now live in British Colombia Canada. John Eaton

thunderd
9th March 2006, 09:18
Hello John I notice you have just made your first post and would like to welcome you to the site, I hope you enjoy it.

R58484956
9th March 2006, 09:54
Welcome John to the site

tanker
9th March 2006, 10:13
Welcome aboard from Italy.
Gp

john hughes
24th March 2006, 06:43
brandane
re Southern Cross,did you sail with Tom Fulton Ch Eng,who was a good friend of mine I did several trips on the old Persic,in the early 50s.
regards John Hughes.

brandane
5th April 2006, 14:37
Hello John,

Sorry I have not checked this page for some time - I am regular visitor to the website but so many interests - have overlooked this forum!
Yes, I sailed with Tommy Fulton who was C/E when I was on the Cross in 1967 - and again in 1968. He was a real gentleman and great guy to sail with.
cheers Jamie

zelo1954
16th June 2006, 22:09
Hello John,

Yes, I sailed with Tommy Fulton who was C/E when I was on the Cross in 1967 - and again in 1968. He was a real gentleman and great guy to sail with.

When I sailed as a passenger on Northern Star from Soton to Wellington in Oct 1970, Tommy Fulton was the chief engineer. Maybe that's why that particular voyage was seemingly trouble-free mechanically.

I remember the names of a few other officers on board because of my involvement in the deck cricket. 2nd officer was Sharp, 3rd was Marshall, and the purser was Weedall. Skipper was Larrive. As I recall the ship carried a staff captain. What were the duties of a staff captain?

Cheers, Geoff

ewenlowrie
4th September 2007, 14:44
h[ jamie would like to jion the shaw savill society looking forward to hearing from you and meeting some of yous cheers for now lowrie

noel robson
4th September 2007, 22:44
sailed with Tommy Fulton on one of his last trips to sea,had to come back to
the cargo ships once the passy ships had gone,had a real good trip with him
Tommy contracted the big C and died within the year.A real nice man.

gadgee
4th September 2007, 22:47
Noel

When did Tommy pass away? I think he was Ch/Eng on Northern Star with me in 1973/4.

noel robson
5th September 2007, 16:45
Willhave to dig out my old discharge book,but must have been late 70s or early 80s

Rossbay
5th September 2007, 20:53
Hello Jamie,welcome to ships nostalgia and greetings from Londonderry.

Ivan
8th September 2007, 22:01
Is there a Shaw Savill Society in the UK.
Ex leckie Canopic, Megantic 1967 -1970

mcglash
8th September 2007, 22:56
Is there a Shaw Savill Society in the UK.
Ex leckie Canopic, Megantic 1967 -1970

Yes there is,contact Brandane AKA Jamie Shedden for the details.
When you were on the Canopic was Kenny Molt 3/E?
Cheers Mcglash

blobbybluey
9th September 2007, 01:06
anyone in auckland live on ti irirangi road ive noticed a ss house flag flying from a house there

Porky
9th September 2007, 04:48
mcglash wrote

Do you mean Kenny Moulton, short thin Londoner, if you did, he did a one way passage out to NZ in 1972, and has since died. He was best man at my wedding.

KIWI
9th September 2007, 04:53
Did any one sail with Johny Mallard who I think was 3rd engineer on Southern Cross late 50s early 60s?I sailed with him in P&O & last saw him when he looked me up when she called into Wellington. Kiwi

raybnz
9th September 2007, 21:46
The flag could belong to one of those Maori groups who are after taking back the land. There are a few flags that fly around the Huntly area too. To me its a insult to all those fine seaman and engineers of course that had to earn a living the hard way.
I have made my feelings felt to this bunch.
anyone in auckland live on ti irirangi road ive noticed a ss house flag flying from a house there

Ivan
9th September 2007, 22:31
Yes there is,contact Brandane AKA Jamie Shedden for the details.
Cheers Mcglash

Yes I remember Kenny Moulton on Canopic. I was 3rd leckie sept1967 to sept 1968 I have a photo of Kenny taken at Capetown when we lost an anchor.

Ivan

Frank Holleran
10th September 2007, 00:30
The flag could belong to one of those Maori groups who are after taking back the land. There are a few flags that fly around the Huntly area too. To me its a insult to all those fine seaman and engineers of course that had to earn a living the hard way.

Find these comments quite racists...dont know what seamen and engineers have to do with something political and historical theft of land....as for earning a living the hard way..no one twisted my arm to go to sea and earn a living.(Thumb)
Regards
Frank

raybnz
11th September 2007, 09:27
Hi Frank I am sorry you found my remarks quiet racial. I have lived and worked quite a considerable part of my life with Maoris and now live in the Huntly area where as part of my job I deal a considerable bit with the local Maori population. I have always found the genuine Maori very accommodating and great to get along with.

Perhaps I should have more clearer in my statement but that flag brings a lot of happy memories to me.

Find these comments quite racists...dont know what seamen and engineers have to do with something political and historical theft of land....as for earning a living the hard way..no one twisted my arm to go to sea and earn a living.(Thumb)
Regards
Frank

Frank Holleran
11th September 2007, 11:27
Brings back a lot of fond memory's for me to...point taken, must have been having a sensitive moment when I read it...(been married into Maoridom for 27 years) like all walks of life you have to take the good with the not so good.
Regards
Frank

Ian Magee
11th September 2007, 12:10
G'day Jamie,
Would you please send me details, I served with Shaw Savill 1969-1972, Akaroa, Cymric, Ceramic. I have also lived in Auckland since 1972 look forward to your reply by PM.......thanking you Ian Magee....

herbie
20th September 2007, 02:03
Does anyone know her last trip with passengers?
I sailed on her with my late parents and Dads 6th form students in late 1975.
Called at Lisbon then Canaries and back to Southampton on about Nov 2nd.
Have a few old menus and a photo of me with the Captains cocktail party, very glam for a 10 year old!
Must have rubbed off as at sea 7 years later( for a bit more than 2 weeks!)

blobbybluey
11th November 2007, 00:37
maybe i confused the issue the flag i was referring to was a shaw savill house flag and definately not one of those "maori" groups of which my daughter,son in law and children are all part ofthey ncould argue about land rights with you for a while but not on here eh. regards jeff(Thumb)

Jinglez
2nd September 2009, 13:45
Ahoy there. I am the daughter of Capt Angus MacDougall ex Shaw Savill and Crusader shipping 1950's-1975.
I need to contact someone that remembers the voyage of the 'Saracen' that transported an elephant from Los Angeles to Auckland in Dec 1972.
Dad was then C/O.
As a child, i was known to Dads crew as "Red legs", anyone remembering that will know why !!!
I still have many happy memories of Dad coming home with his crew to our house in Auckland and would love to hear from anyone that may remember that too.
I would also like to contact John Welsh the Chairman of the NZ S.S. Society, the current email address i have for him is not valid.
Does anyone still use this website as i notice the last post was in 2007. I do hope so.
Thank you.

John Crossland
2nd September 2009, 23:31
Hi Jinglez,

I have contacted John Welch and informed him of your post.

billyboy
2nd September 2009, 23:50
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

voyagerx1
16th September 2009, 22:24
As A/S on The 'Star' from the xmas cruise, December '72 and the world cruise in Jan '73. was Officer steward on the trip out and subsiquent 3 cruises out of Sydney. Lots of stories from those cruises like the little dancer I took ashore for my birthday on 25Th of February '73 in Suva Fiji, she was supposed to have her birthdax a few weeks after but lost it because of sailing over the international Date Line From Apia, she had two parties I believe to make up for the 'Loss'- Any of the officers or crew remember me? Think I might have been honoured to get tips from the officers for my birthday and when I got transfered to passenger tables on the homeward route cause anne lake a stewardess got herself pregnant and the officers were an easy couple of tables to deal with. Whatever happened to Eddie and George?? never forget 'Southern Man' sung by them in the 'Pig and Whistle' on our sing song evenings....

ernhelenbarrett
17th September 2009, 07:33
Hi Jamie
I joined the Alaric/GWRQ when she was built in Glasgow, did the sea trials and then spent the next 4 years on her, all on the Aussie-Uk via Genoa run. Alaric was the only UK built ship of the "A" class, Aramaic, Afric, Arabic all being built in Germany, good ships and a great bunch of blokes, Vicky Vizer was Master on Alaric most of the time. The only hard bit was the SSA policy of signing on a crew a week before sailing from London, you signed-on but didnt have to report until just before sailing day, ok for the locals but me coming from Edinburgh joined the ship on sign-on day but didnt get a meal on board till sailing day!!!. After one of the passenger ships went on fire cos the duty mate was up in the pub for a meal SSA started supplying one meal per day!!
Regards Ern Barrett

adrianvare
10th January 2010, 16:10
Saild on the Southern cross in the 60s, Northern Star , and ARANDA, run the crown & Anchor in the crew bar on all 3 of them . took part in the boxing run by Norman Turner on th Northern Star [=P]

Roger Widdowson
5th September 2010, 09:22
Hi.
AM interested in membership.
Will be in N/Z November,Wellington area if any help.
was with Crusader Line from 66 .mid 68,as engineer.
Please reply on website address below.
Thanking you.
Roger Widdowson

widroger@easynet.net.au

brandane
13th September 2010, 11:48
Hi Roger - have replied to your email ~ sorry was overseas when you post here and only just read it now, Cheers Jamie

Ian Whitehead
13th September 2010, 12:48
My first trip to sea was as 2nd R/O on SS Mataroa on her penultimate voyage, she was scrapped in February 1957, I arrived Auckland in August 1956 and had a great six weeks at the end of Queen Street. I teamed up with Lt/Cdr Keith Markwick who was C.O. New Zealand Sea Cadets and he took me to the family farm in Helensborough to shoot Possum.

voyagerx1
14th September 2010, 00:13
Thanks Ian for your words of welcome - I am sure it will be a great site once more and more sailors register and get nostalgia flowing!

www.ssmaritime.com

Cheers Jamie
Jamie, hi again.
just reading your thread but the second link won't load, can you check to see if it's still current, maybe a mistake in the link???

Brittania
16th March 2014, 21:43
Hello everyone. (Thumb)Just a bit of nostalgia for me seeing this forum exists. I was a passenger with my parents and family on the SS Southern Cross on the way out to/from the Panama Canal and South Africa. I would be interested in seeing a passenger list for the September 1966 trip if anyone has one!!?? This is my certificate of crossing on the Southern Cross and if you can decipher the green signature I'd appreciate it too! I must say, the 'ceremony' still gives me nightmares! Men in coal sacks, dirty brown water, green faces, being grabbed and dunked in murky water really traumatised me! Thanks for that! :eek:
http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n516/brittaniajones/ShawSavillLineTaniaEquatorCertificate_zps60d1265d. jpg