SS Rodney foundered 1925

laurie
10th September 2011, 21:36
Hi, I am trying to trace my Grandfathers roots. He was serving on the SS Rodney when she foundered and all hands were lost. Now according to my fathers orphanage records the ship was owned by Sir James Bell and co. Hull however according to other records it was owned by Alf Monsen, Tonsberg, Norway. He was Norwegian and his name was Thoralf Mathisen. He married my Grandmother in 1917 in Hull and his name eventually changed to Thomas Mathison. The ships imo number was81572 in 1879 at Edward Witty, West Hartlepool. Please, please, please does anyone have any info at all?

Roger Griffiths
11th September 2011, 11:52
Hello,
She was originally PROTARO O/N 81572 and changed names to RODNEY in 1909 when she became Norwegian owned. Problem with this is all her crew records from this date, if they still exsit, will be in Norway.
As far as I can tell your Grandad was never natralised but there is an outside chance he registered as a British Seaman and you may be able to find him on this pay to view site.
http://www.findmypast.co.uk/media/news/news-item.jsp?doc=merchant-navy-seamen.html
According to my information RODNEY sailed from Grangemouth for Emden 9/November/1926 lost with all hands.
This site offers good info
http://www.mariners-l.co.uk/NorwaySeamenResearch.html

Roger

laurie
11th September 2011, 22:58
Hi Roger, thank you for your reply. I will investigate that site. I am still quite confused as I can see according to uk wreckage that the date she foundered was 1926. However according to my fathers orphanage records the SS Rodney was lost 12/11/1925. This date was confirmed by the owners Sir James Bell to the orphanage who needed the date of Grandfathers death confirming in order for his children to be admitted to the orphanage. Secondly, the ship was also ,registered as being owned by Alf monsen, Tonsberg. I am in receipt of a letter in Norwegian from Alf monsen to W. Tulley and co. in relation to the seaworthiness of the vessel in 1926 (April, I can only deduce that the orphanage records are incorrect). I have not being able to get this letter translated. The letter was dated 06/01/1927. There was a meeting on the following Monday ? re: to the loss of Rodney. Once again thank you. Is it worthwhile posting on info. re: Rodney on the shipping forum?

Thanks Anita.

Roger Griffiths
11th September 2011, 23:29
Hello Anita,
Of course the orphanage records are incorrect! Do you honestly think they gave a toss! My guess is that in in order for his children to be admitted to the orphanage lies were told. Over the years I have corresponded with many victims/residents of the Hull Seamen's General Orphanage and their testiments are as horrific as any from that era.
You can post on the shipping forum if you wish but I doubt you will get anything more.

As always I could be wrong.

Roger

tgar
12th September 2011, 07:44
Hi,
I did a little Norwegian in my first year at university. It was a while ago, but I still have my dictionary. If that letter's not to technical, maybe I could give you some idea of what it's about..?
tgar

laurie
12th September 2011, 11:57
Hi Roger, I quite agree. The date didn't tally with the letters I have. I too, don't think the orphanage gave a toss. After reading my fathers records I was heartbroken. It seems they were treated as items and not as children. The feeling I got from the records were that of a very victorian attitude and there seemed to be no warmth shown at all to these little souls. Thankfully Dad found a very good friend which would have been of tremoundous help to them both,
best wishes Anita

laurie
12th September 2011, 12:02
Hi Tgar, thank you for your offer. If you don,t mind it would be of tremoundous help. It is just the part in reference to the meeting Alf Monsen was attending as this may help in tracking Grandfather down. I am running short of time now however I will be able to send this piece of info on Thursday evening if that is ok. Look forward to seeing the result.
Best wishes Anita.

tgar
12th September 2011, 18:53
Thursday's fine - won't be able to touch it before the weekend anyhow, as I've no time either! I can't guarantee I'll be able to do it, but it's worth a try...
tgar

Roger Griffiths
12th September 2011, 19:07
Hello Anita,
Forgive me, I got her original name wrong should have been POTARO
She was removed from the British register in 1892
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATID=-5564835&CATLN=7&Highlight=%2C81572&accessmethod=0
And sold to J D Bischoff of Versack Germany and renamed F BISCHOFF
Sold in 1909 to A Monsen. renamed RODNEY
I would try and get hold of old newspapers from the time to see if there is any info there.
Lloyds List should give you the exact date of loss.

http://www.mariners-l.co.uk/ResLloydsLocations.html

Roger

laurie
15th September 2011, 19:07
Hi Tgar, don't worry if you cannot translate and thank you for trying. Here goes:
Drers arede skrivelse av 3 ds. erkjendes mottaget. Med har jeg kun at meddele, at da jeg for ca. I aar tilbake reiste hjem, var baaten i alle dele i god stand og efter mit skjon et meget sterkt og godt skib. Redningsmateriale var i alle dele i god stand og orden, od skibets red-ningsbaater var gode og utstyret efter sjofartskontorets regler. Utenom det paabudter antal av livbaate, fantes der ogsaa motorbaat, som vistnok under kri-gens tid blev anskaffet i Trondhjem, da baaten der laa under klassification.
This is the paragraph in relation to the meeting discussed. Thank you again Tgar,
best wishes Anita.

laurie
15th September 2011, 19:15
Thanks Roger.

clevewyn
15th September 2011, 19:17
Google translate comes up with

"Immigrants ared letter of 3 ds. War and recipient. With that, I just announce that when I need approx. In the years went home, the boat all to share in good condition and after mit beautiful a very strong and good ship. Rescue materials were all sharing in good condition and order, od ship's red-ningsbaater was good and the equipment after sjofartskontorets rules. Besides the obligatory numbers of lifeboats, were there too motorboat, which apparently in the war-time gene was acquired in Trondheim, then boat which lay under klassification."

laurie
15th September 2011, 19:22
Thank you Clevewyn, no mention of a meeting there. If I post the rest, could you translate for me,
Thanks Anita.

laurie
15th September 2011, 19:28
Does anyone know which of the eight regional state archives would be local to Tonsberg, Norway?

laurie
15th September 2011, 19:32
Roger, is Emden an English or Norwegian port?

clevewyn
15th September 2011, 19:48
Thank you Clevewyn, no mention of a meeting there. If I post the rest, could you translate for me,
Thanks Anita.

Sure but be my guest.

http://translate.google.com/#no|en|

Roger Griffiths
15th September 2011, 19:51
Roger, is Emden an English or Norwegian port?

EMDEN is a city and port in NW Germany
Roger

laurie
15th September 2011, 21:28
Thank you Clevewyn,
Den sidste besiktelse og klasse av skrog, makineri samt livredningsredskaper var efter saavidt jeg erindrer foretat i Hull 1924, hvorved der efter endt reperation blev utfaerdiget fartscertifikat fra Sjofartskontoret.-

Jeg bemerker av Deres skrivelse med hensyn til lastningen i Grangemouth at baaten kun hadde indlastet 1202 tons last 50 tuns bunkers, og jeg gaar derfor ut fra at baaten, som jo var bestempt Emden der skulde complitere sin beholdning av bunkers, som vanlig belop sig til ca. 200 tons for en reise Osterjoen - England. Det vil jo defor vaere klart at s/s Rodney ved afgangen fra Grangemouth maatte vaere meget let lastet, og efter mit skjon paa god trim for at kunne motstaa en hvilkendomhelst paakjending av storm,-
Med hoiagtelse
arb.
Rigtig avskrift bevidnes:
A. T. Olsen (s)
tidligere forer av s/s Rodney

clevewyn
15th September 2011, 21:38
"It reached the last inspection and classification of the hull, makineri and lifesaving equipment was behind as far as I recall foretat in Hull 1924, whereby there after completing reperation was utfaerdiget fartscertifikat from Sjofartskontoret .-

I noted from your letter with regard to loading in Grangemouth that the boat had only indlastet 1202 tons cargo 50 Tuns bunkers, and I go out from the boat, which was bestempt Emden which was complitere its inventory of fuel, the normal amount down to approx. 200 tons for a voyage Osterjoen - England. It would distort be clear that s / s Rodney at the departure from Grangemouth would be very let loaded, and after mit beautiful good exercise that could withstand a hvilkendomhelst paakjending of the storm -
with hoiagtelse
piece
Rigter transcript testify:
A. T. Olsen (s)
earlier leads of s / s Rodney"

Roger Griffiths
17th September 2011, 00:14
Hello Anita.
With due respect to clevewyn and Google translations, whats comeing out is a load of gobbolydegook ballacks.
I suggest you post on Siri Lawsons Guest book.
http://www.warsailors.com/gb.html
Siri is Norwegian but lives in the US and her website is the premier source of Norwegian maritime sources of information.
I am sure that someone there can give you a literal translation.

Roger

laurie
12th October 2011, 21:22
Hi Roger, thank you for your message, I shall do that. Hopefully, I will learn more,
Anita