Totland Bay Lifeboat

Dickyboy
12th September 2011, 21:56
I happened to be in the Church Hall in Totland (IOW) A couple of days ago, and found a small memorial to the Totland Bay Lifeboat. It appears to have been in service for about forty years from the 1880s to the 1920s. I've posted some pictures in the gallery, but I live quite close to Totland, and have never heard of this lifeboat, a bit before my time! Does anyone have any general info on it? It's local history, almost lost in a tatty old church hall. Probably most people who use the hall barely look at it.
I would hate to think that if the hall was destroyed, then so would this Memorial and what it commemorates.
I'm not a Lifeboat man, just a member of SN who happened to come across it by chance.
Cheers!
Dickyboy (Wave)

Watson47
13th September 2011, 00:42
From the records; The first lifeboat installed at Totland Bay, to keep watch over the Needles Channel and The Shingles, was named the 'Dove'. This was provided by the Isle of Wight Sunday Schools Committee who had launched an appeal to raise sufficient funds to build a lifeboat. The boat came into service in 1879 and the crew, as with all lifeboats, were volunteers from the local community. The Dove quickly proved its worth and in the first five years of operating it brought 36 people to safety ashore. In 1884 this record convinced the Royal National Lifeboat Institute, formed by Sir William Hillary in 1824, to build a lifeboat station at Totland Bay. In 1885 the RNLI provided the Charles Luckombe a large 12 oar, 37 feet long, 8 feet wide, self-righting lifeboat. In 1903 the Charles Luckombe was replaced by the Robert Fleming which served until 1924 when the Totland Bay lifeboat station closed and the service was replaced by a motor lifeboat stationed in Yarmouth harbour. This brought to a end the era of rowing lifeboats at Totland Bay.

Dickyboy
13th September 2011, 07:30
Many thanks Watson47
That's very interesting, especially the fact that the Dove was provided by Sunday Schools. Perhaps that's the reason that the memorial is in the local Church Hall?
I'm pleased to know that there are records of the Lifeboats/Stations existence, other than the memorial.
Cheers!
Dickyboy

SSILB-Ricky
7th September 2012, 00:35
Hi, my first post here, the reason being is the post about Totland Bay Lifeboat before the RNLI took on a station there.

The details are correct from 'Watson47', but can I add some other details to shed more light.

In 1984, the lifeboat 'Dove' was sent to Shanklin, to establish a new Independent Lifeboat service on the South of the island, the Shanklin Lifeboat kept the Lifeboats name 'Dove', the Sunday School (we Believe) wanted the 'Dove' to still be a active lifeboat, with Totland Bay lifeboat being operated by the RNLI, the Sunday School Lifeboat needed a new home and Shanklin were the lucky community that received the 'Dove'.

The Shanklin Lifeboat was based at the base of Shanklin Chine.

Now (we) have found reference to the Shanklin Lifeboat station (called Lifeboat house) still being operational in 1905, weather the 'Dove' was their active lifeboat is questionable, this is due to the 'Dove' being destroyed by a storm, whilst stationed at Shanklin, a very high tide and pressure allowed the sea to get into the station (lifeboat house) and took everything with it - with luck a crew member on overnight watch escaped due to another crew member going in to the station (lifeboat house) and waking him from his deep sleep.
The year the above happend I will let you know, as am not 100% at the current time of typing this.

Dickyboy, I would love to see the photos or even visit the Church in Totland, where is it located please?

The reason is and why I have said 'we' above, is that I am the 2nd Coxswain from Sandown and Shanklin Independent Lifeboat. :cool:

The 'Dove' being part of our History, as much as Totland Bay and we are gathering as much infomation as we can about the 'Dove' as part of our roots and to give us and others some history of our service.

We are still seeking these details to fill in gaps, but are getting there with bits and bobs. Shout details and crew are hard to track - am sure we will get something soon.

In 2011, SSILB launched our newest Lifeboat, an Atlantic 21 Inshore Lifeboat, her name, 'The Dove II', as a mark of respect to the old boat and her crews.

Please visit our webiste - www.sandownlifeboat.com

or visite www.facebook.com/SSILB1
For up to date history photo's that we have found.

I hope this has helped.

Dickyboy
9th September 2012, 09:18
Hi, my first post here, the reason being is the post about Totland Bay Lifeboat before the RNLI took on a station there.

The details are correct from 'Watson47', but can I add some other details to shed more light.

In 1984, the lifeboat 'Dove' was sent to Shanklin, to establish a new Independent Lifeboat service on the South of the island, the Shanklin Lifeboat kept the Lifeboats name 'Dove', the Sunday School (we Believe) wanted the 'Dove' to still be a active lifeboat, with Totland Bay lifeboat being operated by the RNLI, the Sunday School Lifeboat needed a new home and Shanklin were the lucky community that received the 'Dove'.

The Shanklin Lifeboat was based at the base of Shanklin Chine.

Now (we) have found reference to the Shanklin Lifeboat station (called Lifeboat house) still being operational in 1905, weather the 'Dove' was their active lifeboat is questionable, this is due to the 'Dove' being destroyed by a storm, whilst stationed at Shanklin, a very high tide and pressure allowed the sea to get into the station (lifeboat house) and took everything with it - with luck a crew member on overnight watch escaped due to another crew member going in to the station (lifeboat house) and waking him from his deep sleep.
The year the above happend I will let you know, as am not 100% at the current time of typing this.

Dickyboy, I would love to see the photos or even visit the Church in Totland, where is it located please?

The reason is and why I have said 'we' above, is that I am the 2nd Coxswain from Sandown and Shanklin Independent Lifeboat. :cool:

The 'Dove' being part of our History, as much as Totland Bay and we are gathering as much infomation as we can about the 'Dove' as part of our roots and to give us and others some history of our service.

We are still seeking these details to fill in gaps, but are getting there with bits and bobs. Shout details and crew are hard to track - am sure we will get something soon.

In 2011, SSILB launched our newest Lifeboat, an Atlantic 21 Inshore Lifeboat, her name, 'The Dove II', as a mark of respect to the old boat and her crews.

Please visit our webiste - www.sandownlifeboat.com

or visite www.facebook.com/SSILB1
For up to date history photo's that we have found.

I hope this has helped.

Hi Ricky!
Re the Totland Bay Lifeboat.
The memorial, for want of a better word, is on the Broadway in Totland, on the left as you head down from Freshwater village. It's up on a bank with steps leading up to it. It's not generally open to the public, bit I meet friends there every Sunday, including today. If you want to visit and have a look, give me a personal mail via this site. Note, this is in a hall, NOT a church. (Thumb)