Maths A levels for marine engineering - advice sought

Andrew Craig-Bennett
14th September 2011, 14:26
May I seek advice?

My elder sprog has just started in the sixth form - he wants to go to sea as an engineer so has selected maths, further maths, physics and chemistry.

He is finding the further maths a bit of a shock as he was not in the top maths set (though he did get an A at GCSE) and is wondering if he can keep up with it or whether he should drop it now and choose another subject (the modern set up is that they start with 4 A levels and drop one in the second year).

My instinct is that he should stick with the "further maths" even if it is a struggle, but not being an engineer myself I would welcome advice from those who are...

Satanic Mechanic
14th September 2011, 14:57
annoying one that

GCSE is enough to be honest but companies always like to see a good A level - plus it helps with the science subjects.

I have actually been asked advice on this in the last few weeks and I tend to be of the opinion that a good mix of academic and practical is the way forward, in this case I might be inclined to drop chemistry and to maybe take a couple of metalwork, technical drawing/CAD, Engineering qualifications - not 100% sure how the English system works.

Might even consider going as far as going to college and getting a BTEC diploma in engineering, I have seen this done a few times and it appears to be an excellent foundation

Duncan112
14th September 2011, 14:58
A pass in "ordinary" maths - provided it is pure and applied should be fine - got me through my HND with no problems - some of the thermodynamics requires a grasp of calculus and dimensional analysis. After getting my tickets I went on to do the Engineering Council Examinations - again a straight follow on from A level (A word of caution though, I took my A levels in 1981 if you believe the stories about dumbing down then it may be a tad harder transition now) I can thoroughly recommend "Engineering Mathematics" by K A Stroud as a text book for the HND and beyond.

Any queries feel free to contact me by pm - if perchance you are going to the Swire Mariners jaunt in Dover button hole me there.

Cheers,

Duncan

Andrew Craig-Bennett
14th September 2011, 15:44
A pass in "ordinary" maths - provided it is pure and applied should be fine - got me through my HND with no problems - some of the thermodynamics requires a grasp of calculus and dimensional analysis. After getting my tickets I went on to do the Engineering Council Examinations - again a straight follow on from A level (A word of caution though, I took my A levels in 1981 if you believe the stories about dumbing down then it may be a tad harder transition now) I can thoroughly recommend "Engineering Mathematics" by K A Stroud as a text book for the HND and beyond.

Any queries feel free to contact me by pm - if perchance you are going to the Swire Mariners jaunt in Dover button hole me there.

Cheers,

Duncan

Funny you should mention that Duncan...You've just decided me to go!

sparkie2182
14th September 2011, 17:44
Perhaps this may be of benefit...............

http://www.khanacademy.org/

septiclecky
15th September 2011, 14:37
Try the link below for further info

http://www.ljmu.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/2012/course.asp?CourseId=H350