SS Waipori

lagerstedt
2nd January 2006, 22:51
The SS Waipori at Newcastle, Australia during 1946. Mr Clough Blair was Chief Officer at that time.

KPC
2nd January 2006, 23:42
Waipori 1938-1965. Built by R W Hawthorn Leslie & Co Ltd.Sold to Teh Hu Steamship Co Hong Kong 1965. Transferred Australia Pacific Shipping Co (HK) Ltd hong Kong 1965. Renamed Pacific Mariner 1965-67. sold Kimberley Shipping Corp. Panama 1967..kept same name but Panama Registry. Sold Ming Kee & Co Hong Kong shipbreakers and broken up 1969.
PS..do not think this vessel was SS but MV...maybe wrong.but happy to be corrected..she was on Steel run for many years and was a ship to get rid of any DR's.
KPC

lagerstedt
3rd January 2006, 10:13
I obtained the photo and information from a book called the "shoestring line: written by Clough Blair the chief officer at the time. He later became Captain and with others formed the "Tasman Steamship Co" which operated around the NZ and OZ coast as well sailings across the Tasman. In the early years all the Company vessels were crewed by share holders. In later years when the company grew the filled extra berths with union labour.

zsimone
18th January 2006, 06:48
Hi,
Please find attached another photo of Waipori
Cheers
Gary
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/2429/waipori4282grt193819655ki.th.jpg (http://img42.imageshack.us/my.php?image=waipori4282grt193819655ki.jpg)

duncan montgomery
18th January 2006, 11:12
the waipori was a steam ship i did the last trip on her before union co sold her i think she was originally laid out to be a coal burner as she had two saddle back hatches one between the bridge and funnel and one on the boat deck just aft of the funnel the used to load coiled wire down them if i remember i think she had nine fires down below , boat drill in port you used to stop cargo because she had rope falls on the boats and the only way to get them up again was to use the winches she loved to roll as well

John C
12th March 2006, 11:25
the waipori was a steam ship i did the last trip on her before union co sold her i think she was originally laid out to be a coal burner as she had two saddle back hatches one between the bridge and funnel and one on the boat deck just aft of the funnel the used to load coiled wire down them if i remember i think she had nine fires down below , boat drill in port you used to stop cargo because she had rope falls on the boats and the only way to get them up again was to use the winches she loved to roll as well

Waipori, being a less efficient ship, was laid up for an extended period in Port Chalmers during a trade downturn in about 1958. Two engineers were kept on (I was one and an amazing rascal called Harry Hulmes was the other) and we lived in the local pub. The ship had a triple expansion steam engine. We used to carry steel from Newcastle and Port Kembla to southern ports in New Zealand. After I've gotten over my HMB Endeavour experiences, I shall look around for some photos...probably slides.

duncan montgomery
27th March 2006, 10:56
Waipori, being a less efficient ship, was laid up for an extended period in Port Chalmers during a trade downturn in about 1958. Two engineers were kept on (I was one and an amazing rascal called Harry Hulmes was the other) and we lived in the local pub. The ship had a triple expansion steam engine. We used to carry steel from Newcastle and Port Kembla to southern ports in New Zealand. After I've gotten over my HMB Endeavour experiences, I shall look around for some photos...probably slides.
sailed with harry humes on the kaitoke he has left the planet a few years ago

John C
31st March 2006, 09:57
sailed with harry humes on the kaitoke he has left the planet a few years ago

I too was on the Kaitoke but not with Harry. He was an amazing character with an unbelievable photographic memory. This did not stop him from having to enter the pub by the fire escape ladders when returning late...never remembered to ask for a key.

Sharkie Price
6th April 2012, 18:47
Gidday I can remember the waipori I nearly joined her once in Dunedin with a O/S named Morry Rowe who was from dunedin, she was due to load the circus and take it to Sydney OZ, The elephants had to be chained to the deck on the after well deck. some of the circus hands travelled in gash cabins on the ship. Cheers Sharkie Price

ross mitchell
6th October 2012, 04:23
Gidday I can remember the waipori I nearly joined her once in Dunedin with a O/S named Morry Rowe who was from dunedin, she was due to load the circus and take it to Sydney OZ, The elephants had to be chained to the deck on the after well deck. some of the circus hands travelled in gash cabins on the ship. Cheers Sharkie Price

hi sharkie remember me ross mitchell.still in lyttelton.

spongebob
6th October 2012, 06:25
While we are talking about NZ ships of the early post war period can anyone recall the name of the shipping company started up by returned servicemen and plying the Tasman trade?
An old shipmate of mine and later work mate, second engineer Frank Jack was a crew member and he came from the RNZN where he served as an ERA on Achilles during the battle of River Plate and later on the Leander.
The shipping co went broke but I am trying to find some net reference to it.

Bob

Butters
7th October 2012, 01:08
That would have been the Tasman Shipping Company , set up by Clough Blair with a few ex. serviceman two of which were Don Urqhart & Mick Ives . They started off with the "Wakakura", then upgraded to the "Viti", ex governor of Fiji's yacht.

butters

garry king
23rd October 2012, 08:00
hi sharkie remember me ross mitchell.still in lyttelton.

Hi Ross what a way to meet I am now in Queensland always sad to hear of damage from the quakes. Keep well Garry King.

ross mitchell
4th November 2012, 05:05
Good to hear from you. Things are good here in Lyttelton after quakes - looks quite different though!!.

Have you heard from Sharkie? if so how is he?

Ross

garry king
4th November 2012, 07:43
Good to hear from you. Things are good here in Lyttelton after quakes - looks quite different though!!.

Have you heard from Sharkie? if so how is he?

Ross

Hi Ross no have not heard back from Sharkie. Glad to hear all ok in Port. Last I went to NZ was for my sisters funeral the week of the big one so unable go over the hill. Look after self hope to hear more from you. Garry.