Best Shoreside Meals/restaurants

Waighty
20th September 2011, 22:58
Another subjective topic!

1. Breakfast Creek Hotel in Brisbane. The choice and size of the meals was wonderful.

2. Port Pire, at least three bars/hotels did incredible food. Of course my memory might be jaded by the 5 jugs of lager, was it called Abbey?, that we'd drunk first. (Pint)

3. A small,by American standards, family run eatery in Newport News. I have never seen or tasted such huge and gorgeous hamburgers in my life. They offered you every conceivable additional filling possible. I always went for fried egg, bacon, dill pickles and what passed for cheese. (egg)

4. The mission in Port Kelang. Little used but the cook there was an artist. The more you went back the better it got, probably because he felt appreciated. (Eat)

5. The Ratkeller in Bremen. Wurst and kartoffeln salat that has never been beaten in my eyes. However, yet again it was after copious quaffing of large quantities of taffelwein!

All I can recall at present. (Bounce)

bob nightingale
20th September 2011, 23:24
Best chippy. Mobile on the locks at Antwerp.

Bob.

makko
21st September 2011, 00:48
Chinese food from a mobile stand at 0400 in Penang, served in a plastic bag! Then a boat ride out to the ship. There was a great cafe on the dock road in San Francisco and the market (Thompson?) in Singapore, out beyond the Anderson Bridge and playing fields. Oh, and a full on Indonesian feast in Djakarta with stage show by traditional dancers etc. Many, many more!
Rgds.
Dave

Steven Lamb
21st September 2011, 03:23
Hustners in Baltimore
Auberge in Southport
Scotts of Mayfair London
Pont de la Tour London
Jurong Seafood Restaurant Singapore

Stop i'm getting hungry !

Rgds
Lamby

holland25
21st September 2011, 04:10
Went to Port Elizabeth SA in 1956 and three of us went into what I can only describe as a newsagents with a cafe attached. We each had the famous Jack S""""s banquet (T Bone Steak, Fried egg and chips, I think we were charged 3/6. It was so good we each had another.

pete
21st September 2011, 12:12
IN durban there was a restaurant called the XL, long since burned out but good food. Also the stevedores eating house in B.A. where they did the BEST steaks this side of the "Black Stump" Ohh the memories (Steak tonight methinks).......pete

Pat Kennedy
21st September 2011, 12:23
Best chippy. Mobile on the locks at Antwerp.

Bob.
Bob,
I remember that mobile Chippy, they put mayo on the chips, bloody lovely!
my favourite was Henry's Bar in HK, best steak,egg, chips,cold beer and sexy waitresses in the whole Far East.
Best Chippy was next door to the pub on the quay in Warrenpoint, especially when you were on starvation rations on the Firth Fisher!
Regards,
Pat(Thumb)

tom roberts
21st September 2011, 13:51
Dont Remember any of the names of the eating houses in B.A. but a beefy lomo or a beefy complete ,forgive me if spelt wrong,were the best I have ever tasted nowhere in the world can beat them for their steaks, and ask anyone who walked the dock road in Liverpool to a ship if they could resist the wonderfull aroma of a Stan Waters bacon sarnie. ,

billyboy
21st September 2011, 14:53
Best shoreside grub is what mum cooked at home...LOL
Mind you a little back street bar in Dieppe used to do a nice steak and chips....till i found out it was Horse meat. nevr went back after that

chadburn
21st September 2011, 15:32
"The Dutch Barn" outside Rotterdam, superb food and a chap playing the Harpsicord!!

eldersuk
22nd September 2011, 00:25
Dont Remember any of the names of the eating houses in B.A. but a beefy lomo or a beefy complete ,forgive me if spelt wrong,were the best I have ever tasted nowhere in the world can beat them for their steaks, and ask anyone who walked the dock road in Liverpool to a ship if they could resist the wonderfull aroma of a Stan Waters bacon sarnie. ,

Stan Waters' served the haute cuisine of the Liverpool dock road.
A carry-out bacon and egg butty made by a fair young damsel with a sore finger and a runny nose and then taken into the Middle House to be enjoyed with a pint.

That was living!!

Derek

Mick Spear
22nd September 2011, 05:00
Port market at Montivideo and any eatery in South East Asia.
Mick S

Pat Kennedy
22nd September 2011, 10:43
I once found myself in a Uruguayan steakhouse near the Prinsengracht canal in Amsterdam. I have never encountered such steaks before or since. They were enormous and very tasty. I felt like I'd eaten a whole cow!
Then I got the bill, and I think I was charged for a whole cow!
Pat
(Eat)(Jester)

Peter Martin
22nd September 2011, 11:21
Bob,
I remember that mobile Chippy, they put mayo on the chips, bloody lovely!
my favourite was Henry's Bar in HK, best steak,egg, chips,cold beer and sexy waitresses in the whole Far East.
Best Chippy was next door to the pub on the quay in Warrenpoint, especially when you were on starvation rations on the Firth Fisher!
Regards,
Pat(Thumb)

I remember Henry's Fish and Chips in Hankow Rd which ran parallel to Nathan Rd. They even had Cornish Pasties! Was this the same as henry's bar?

trotterdotpom
22nd September 2011, 12:42
Waighty, you'll be pleased to know the Breakfast Creek is still going strong - you probably ate at the Spanish Garden but there is another huge outdoor eatery as well now. I took my cousin there to sample the beer ooff the wood and he hated the place - I forgot he's a vegetarian, whoops!

The beer in Port Pirie would have been West End (blechhh) or Southwark (double blechhh). Yes the counter meals were all good in the Exchange, etc. Also a great pie cart in the main drag every night (just near the old railway station from memory).

Standout meals for me: pig's liver in ginger at the canteen in Sembewang ship yards, better than the same at Newton's Circus, but they did good stuff too.

Kobe beef in Takamatsu - bought it by accident but had already given up worrying about the cost of everything. At the other end of the scale, okonomiyaki (cabbage omelet with other stuff) was pretty good too.

Chicken drumsticks in West Africa - hyper-chilli coating was great, but watch where you put your fingers afterwards!

Bratwurst anywhere in Hamburg - yum.

John T.

Pat Kennedy
22nd September 2011, 13:16
I remember Henry's Fish and Chips in Hankow Rd which ran parallel to Nathan Rd. They even had Cornish Pasties! Was this the same as henry's bar?

Peter,
I dont recall Henry's fish and chips, but the location sounds right. Henry's bar was Kowloonside, about five minutes walk from Holts Wharf, and close to the bottom end of Nathan Rd. Always our first stop when alongside in Kowloon before hitting the town.
Pat(Hippy)

john fraser
22nd September 2011, 13:56
Peter,
I dont recall Henry's fish and chips, but the location sounds right. Henry's bar was Kowloonside, about five minutes walk from Holts Wharf, and close to the bottom end of Nathan Rd. Always our first stop when alongside in Kowloon before hitting the town.
Pat(Hippy)

Henrys Bar was in Ashley Road.Kowloon. Was it not the Hasty Tasty round the corner that sold the fish and chips

Derek Roger
22nd September 2011, 15:02
De Pauls New Orleans . No reservations just turn up and join the queue which is always there . Worth the wait despite being seated on rickety old chairs and tables none of which match and a plastic tablecloth ..
Derek

ccurtis1
22nd September 2011, 20:23
The Porama Hotel in LM. First taste of piri-piri.

Pat Kennedy
22nd September 2011, 20:33
If you are ever in Oban, try the Ee Usk seafood restaurant on the North Pier.
I was in there a couple of weeks ago and had fresh local salmon with chips. Gorgeous!
Pat(Eat)

michael charters
22nd September 2011, 20:35
cheese butties from pantry fridge when on winch watch night on board

Bob Murdoch
22nd September 2011, 20:41
The pie cart to the east of the wharfs in Bluff. Back in the early 60's you got great lashings of fried oysters and chips for a couple of bob. Most of the pie carts in NZ were great food.
Bob

Macphail
22nd September 2011, 23:27
"Royan" of Elgin's steak mince.
Spag Bog, normally cooked Scotch Mince.
Yee canna whack it.

John.

Nick Batstone
22nd September 2011, 23:52
Doras Steakhouse in Buenos Aires

mikeg
23rd September 2011, 00:01
Best Fillet Steak ever at St. Croix, Virgin Islands. Wish I could remember exactly where though...:confused:

Derek Roger
23rd September 2011, 00:27
Best food is at home if you know how to cook . Derek

johnb42
25th September 2011, 22:49
Duck kao shwe from the night market in Rangoon (Yangon for the pc), circa 1959. Wrapped in a banana leaf and carefully carried back to the ship by trishaw. Remember it to this day.

john richards
25th September 2011, 23:52
Tuna fish roll in Punnta Areanas Azores, Goat Burger in Bambo bar Kingston Jamacia

dab
26th September 2011, 23:23
After 13 months in the Far East my mate Ray Philp suggested "The Chapel" when we arrived back in Plymouth. We both had fillet steaks with trimmings and a few pints of "Whitbread Tankard". This would be 1964/65. Is it still there.

Ian Harrod
27th September 2011, 07:22
The Porama Hotel in LM. First taste of piri-piri.

I agree; piri-piri prawns in LM washed down with cold Lagosta white wine. A baby's bath of lemon water in the middle of the table to wash your hands in.

Waighty
27th September 2011, 11:23
Waighty, you'll be pleased to know the Breakfast Creek is still going strong - you probably ate at the Spanish Garden but there is another huge outdoor eatery as well now. I took my cousin there to sample the beer ooff the wood and he hated the place - I forgot he's a vegetarian, whoops!

The beer in Port Pirie would have been West End (blechhh) or Southwark (double blechhh). Yes the counter meals were all good in the Exchange, etc. Also a great pie cart in the main drag every night (just near the old railway station from memory).

Standout meals for me: pig's liver in ginger at the canteen in Sembewang ship yards, better than the same at Newton's Circus, but they did good stuff too.

Kobe beef in Takamatsu - bought it by accident but had already given up worrying about the cost of everything. At the other end of the scale, okonomiyaki (cabbage omelet with other stuff) was pretty good too.

Chicken drumsticks in West Africa - hyper-chilli coating was great, but watch where you put your fingers afterwards!

Bratwurst anywhere in Hamburg - yum.

John T.

Hello John,

I'm very pleased to see such a response to this thread it's obviously struck a chord.

I'm glad the Breakfast Creek is still there, who knows I might get back there one day. I now remember The Exchange in Port Pirie, I could describe the place but not the name before. The steaks there were fabulous. I remember Soutwark lager now you've mentioned it, it may not have been the best but it was drinkable and went down by the jug load! I'm sure we took on a load on the Avonbank Are pea soup floaters still available in Aus?

I also had pigs liver in ginger but in Penang at an eatery way out of town and up a hill; don't recall the name. It was cooked in two hollowed out stones until meltingly tender and then more ginger sauce added for serving - gorgeous.

Also take your point about Hamburg - Bock, Brat, Blot, Rot, Leben and Curry Wursts - all great after a night in the Zillertal!

Mike W (Bounce)

JoeQ
27th September 2011, 11:36
I agree; piri-piri prawns in LM washed down with cold Lagosta white wine. A baby's bath of lemon water in the middle of the table to wash your hands in.

The last thing on my mind on arrival in LM was food!!!

Ron Stringer
27th September 2011, 14:08

Have to agree but we always had the prawns (half a dozen each) as a starter, with hot bread rolls and butter, to be followed with half a chicken piri piri, ice cream, coffee and brandy. In the early 1960s that cost just over 2 per head.

Saw a guy off a Lykes Line ship eat 12 of those huge prawns before having a T-Bone steak with all the trimmings. We left before he finished but I would have had to be taken back to the ship in a wheel-barrow after a meal like that!

McMorine
29th September 2011, 18:18
Mombasa, Kilindini Road, Sweetcorn roasted over an open fire at the side of the road, great stuff.
Wasn't there a fantastic Pie Cart just outside the docks in Sydney, circa 1960/70s

brian3
29th September 2011, 18:39
hugoes on dockside ba his beefies (steaks were the biss)

trotterdotpom
30th September 2011, 12:56
Mombasa, Kilindini Road, Sweetcorn roasted over an open fire at the side of the road, great stuff.
Wasn't there a fantastic Pie Cart just outside the docks in Sydney, circa 1960/70s

That would be "Harry's Cafe de Wheels" at Wooloomooloo. Still there, opposite the former "Rock 'n' Roll", tarted up and a tourist attraction but still selling great pies.

John T

McMorine
2nd October 2011, 16:49
Thats the one John, remember it well now, many a great pie and chips on the way back from a good night ashore.

Waighty
6th October 2011, 12:20
That would be "Harry's Cafe de Wheels" at Wooloomooloo. Still there, opposite the former "Rock 'n' Roll", tarted up and a tourist attraction but still selling great pies.

John T

But what about the pea soup floaters? Great stuff after a heavy night, and I'm not talking about Big Phil's mates!

trotterdotpom
6th October 2011, 12:54
Waighty, I think you mean "Pie Floaters" a speciality of South Australia, with the pie upside down in pea soup. Here in Brisbane, we have a bit more couth ... they slide the top off the pie, fill it with mushy peas, then replace the lid.

I thought most people swore off pie floaters after the Snowtown Massacre and the bodies in barrels, but I've just read they've been declared a South Australian Heritage Icon.

Another pub you may remember in Pirie - the Barrier, right beside the wharf where the zinc concentrates festered. It closed quite a few years ago.

John T

johnb42
6th October 2011, 22:39
Anyone remember the Charcoal Haven and Seafood Haven (same restaurant separated by a partition) in Durban? Fantastic food either side of the partition back in the early seventies.
Went back a few years ago on holiday - just a knocking shop now. The old owner was still there serving ale to the "girls", sad.

John Dryden
6th October 2011, 23:06
Food was always the last thing on my mind when ashore but it is the simple kind of food I used to enjoy after the fine dining in Bank Line.
Apart from the steak sandwiches in BA I remember a fish and chip shop in Burnie,Tas. that did wonderfull shark and chips and a cafe in Townsville for the toasted fried egg sandwiches.

trotterdotpom
9th October 2011, 08:15
John D, shark in Australian chip shops is usually called "flake" and I'm quite fond of it too. Lately, they're only supposed to use smaller sharks because of mercury concentrating in their bodies (the larger they are, the older they are and the more mercury will be there) which is a bit of a worry. Don't know if it worries the fish merchants or not - let's hope so.

I always enjoyed "rock salmon" in the London area - about the cheapest fish around but very tasty. I believe it is actually "dogfish", a small shark.

John T

Thats another Story
9th October 2011, 09:02
my barbara's scouse and pee whack soup if anyone wants a free meal in liverpool give me a call(Hippy)(Jester)

Waighty
9th October 2011, 18:56
Waighty, I think you mean "Pie Floaters" a speciality of South Australia, with the pie upside down in pea soup. Here in Brisbane, we have a bit more couth ... they slide the top off the pie, fill it with mushy peas, then replace the lid.

I thought most people swore off pie floaters after the Snowtown Massacre and the bodies in barrels, but I've just read they've been declared a South Australian Heritage Icon.

Another pub you may remember in Pirie - the Barrier, right beside the wharf where the zinc concentrates festered. It closed quite a few years ago.

John T

Sorry John don't recall the Barrier but then again I may have been well out of it by then!

I always knew them as pea soup floaters because they were always in pea soup! The red coloured mince in the pies was very reminiscent of the London pie and mash - God knows what was in it but it tasted great!

Best lobster themidor was the Officer's Club in Durban.

pete
12th October 2011, 17:23
Approaching Harmony Street in NOLA and radioing the Cab Firm and ordering "15 Burgers, all on" as you moved alongside the cab would arrive, lower the cash o'side and haul up the burgers. Heaven !!.......pete

Alan Rawlinson
13th October 2011, 12:35
Approaching Harmony Street in NOLA and radioing the Cab Firm and ordering "15 Burgers, all on" as you moved alongside the cab would arrive, lower the cash o'side and haul up the burgers. Heaven !!.......pete

I like that...

My memories of Harmony St Wharf are all good ones... Too early for the VHS radio, and not sure the cabbies would have read the Aldis lamp very well, but as soon as the gangway was out, ( Quite level with the quay, if memory serves me right) we apprentices would be feeding the vending machines in the shed with dimes, quarters, and in some cases Rupees or Pesos, whatever they would work with! There were all sorts of treats there, ice cold fresh milk, and packets of weird and wonderful snacks, cookies, etc ... US style.

Other memories - the sheer efficiency of the stevedores and lashing gangs, weighed down with tools and any kit needed to finish the job in double quick time.

Then there were the plaques to prepare for the timbers under the wharf....

I always bought Nylon fishing line in Walmarts, ready for the Pacific run round the islands, and ' sea island cotton ' working gear which was special..

Happy Days..