Animals

skymaster
3rd January 2006, 01:37
Does anyone remember transporting animals on any of their voyages.I was deck apprentice on the SS Magadapur 51/11/56-29/03/57.We boarded 6 race horses at Tilbury for the Calcutta Race Club.It was a normal voyage Tilbury,Suez ,Aden Columbo,Madras thence Calcutta.Our responsibility was too take care of them.It was quite a job,they had to stand for the whole voyage[belly bands]We however got them there in good shape and received a grand meal at the Grand Oriental Hotel on Chowringi[spelt right?]and watched a couple of races at the track.I also seem to remember seeing a couple of Giraffes sticking up through a deck awning on a Bank Line ship in Kidapore Docks one time.I can't rember the names of the other two apprentices,anyone?

Mike

vix
3rd January 2006, 03:35
Does anyone remember transporting animals on any of their voyages.I was deck apprentice on the SS Magadapur 51/11/56-29/03/57.We boarded 6 race horses at Tilbury for the Calcutta Race Club.It was a normal voyage Tilbury,Suez ,Aden Columbo,Madras thence Calcutta.Our responsibility was too take care of them.It was quite a job,they had to stand for the whole voyage[belly bands]We however got them there in good shape and received a grand meal at the Grand Oriental Hotel on Chowringi[spelt right?]and watched a couple of races at the track.I also seem to remember seeing a couple of Giraffes sticking up through a deck awning on a Bank Line ship in Kidapore Docks one time.I can't rember the names of the other two apprentices,anyone?

Mike
I remember carrying half a dozen dogs or so, as deck cargo, Boat Deck, on RML Loch Loyal, I can't remember if we dropped them in Wilmington, L.A. or San Francisco, I'm sure the dogs were better fed than we were, though. Vix

R58484956
3rd January 2006, 10:17
On Good Hope Castle (1) we carried 2 bulls, 10 cows, 10 horses and 2 swans. 4 legged beasts were for breeding stock. Swans do not know. Cows were sea sick going through the bay. A 4" wire brush was used to brush down the bulls.

Harry C
3rd January 2006, 16:05
Rats and lots of cockroaches. The rat we couldn't get rid of was named Herman.

Harry

gwzm
3rd January 2006, 17:52
Hi,

We carried cattle a couple of times between Red Sea ports while I was with Brocklebank in the 1960s. Loading and unloading them in cargo slings didn't look too comfortable......... for them! See photo in my gallery.

I also remember the crew painting some of their horns red and green for port and starboard. we were glad to see the back of them between the smell, mess on the foredeck, and flies.

All the best,

John

peter lewis
3rd January 2006, 18:54
on 1 of the ferries i worked on we took a cargo of calfs across to france for the veal market it was quite funny watching two drunken abs hanging of the cages with their trousers round their knees and their dicks through the holes in the pens

Paul UK
3rd January 2006, 19:25
been at sea far to long !!

Robinj
3rd January 2006, 20:13
When I sailed in 1967 on the SA Huguenot (Safmarine) we carried a couple of Rhinos, a pair of cheetahs and a few others from Walvis Bay to New York for some game park in the Catskill Mountains. Not to mention the Python the owners brought into the Bar. :eek:

cor
3rd January 2006, 20:38
I remember zebra's, cows, pics, snakes, Kasoeari's, on board of the Mississippi Lloyd we have 2 dogs 1 for the officers and the 2e
for the cook and this dog named moppie and she like beer very much, when I must go to the afther dek in the dryvis store I always thakes moppie whit me and when I open the door I said to moppie go thake them and then he go hunting the rats.
After that I can go in.

cor

J Boyde
4th January 2006, 07:46
Sailed with animals in the Galway, The Araluan, including a goat one trip, but mostly dogs. In the Union Co racing horses were common and some ships had stables. All by air now.
Jim B

Mac
4th January 2006, 09:29
In the late 1950's China Navigation Co.Steamers on the Bangkok to Hong Kong run always carried about 150-200 head of buffaloe on deck in addition to up to 100 pigs in crates on top of the hatch covers.
During the South west monsoon with a following wind of about 10 knots which equalled the ships speed, it was sometimes necessary to take a round turn to freshen the air.
All the livestock were discharged within an hour after arrival in Hong Kong.

Happy New Year
Mac

KPC
4th January 2006, 20:42
On USS Co "Slow Greens" all the race horses competing in Australia were transported by ship. Intercolonials had stalls aft and were generally job for Bosun who was paid extra. Poor horses must have wondered what had struck them. Sometimes a carer was carried but generally were looked after by crew. Once carried Ashtons Circus from Sydney to Lyttelton on Wiamea...whole menagerie including Elephants,Monkeys,Lions & Tigers etc. Strange Days indeed Mama.
KPC

Santos
4th January 2006, 21:19
Rolling down to Rio and the Agentine in the mid 60s. Deck cargo of ten Hereford and Aberdeen Angus Heifers and two Bulls for the Argentine.

Cattle living in stalls on either side of the after deck, cared for by stockmen who fed them and looked after them. Whole ship became very smelly once passed the Canaries. Unfortunately a couple of the cattle suffered from sea sickness, but this was soon cured by the Vet travelling with us by the use of Epsom Salts, but unfortunately with the usual consequences that Epsom Salts brings. However the decks were swilled down twice a day by the stockmen and kept pretty clean.

Ten days out, Old Man remarks to Chief Steward on the excellence of the coffee in the saloon. Chief Steward very pleased. General agreement alround that the coffee was certainly more tangy although the Tea seemed a bit bitter.

Arrival in Argentine accompanied by cattle being seen off with much waving of hankies, as most had been adopted as pets by the crew and fed on apples etc.

Right says Bosun lets get rid of these stalls and get the ship clean again. Stalls broken up and wood ,straw and sh1t shovelled over side into lorries. Washing down commenced.

Suddenly loud cry of " Oye Chippy, come and look at this " Chippy comes and looks, smiles and goes to Chief Officer. " I have to report some damage Sir ",
" Where Chippy ", " A Sounding Pipe on the afterdeck broken off at deck level Sir ", " How did that happen ?" " Must have been when the cattle stalls were loaded in Liverpool Sir, been covered over by them till now ", " Get the Chief to weld it back", " Aye Aye Sir " " By the way Chippy, what tank was it " " No 6 Sir ", " No 6 " " Yes Sir "

" But thats the fresh water tank we have been using for drinking " " Yes Sir , and guess whats been topping it up " !!!!!!!

True story, I was there and Yes I thought the coffee tasted better too.

Chris .

pilot
10th January 2006, 17:08
Does anyone remember transporting animals on any of their voyages.I was deck apprentice on the SS Magadapur 51/11/56-29/03/57.We boarded 6 race horses at Tilbury for the Calcutta Race Club.It was a normal voyage Tilbury,Suez ,Aden Columbo,Madras thence ?

Mike
Also with Brocks.1963-71: Called at Djibouti north bound to bunker and would load 200 cattle on deck. Discharged onto lighters at Suez Bay whilst waiting our North Bound Convoy, States Bound. Rumour was the freight on these paid for the bunkers used from India to US East Coast.
Carried Grey Hounds one voyage from Tilbury to Jedda, about 1965 (ish.) Bought by the Saudi Royal family.
Best Regards. Martin

japottinger
11th January 2006, 14:35
As a first tripper on Bullard King Umgeni leaving London 16/1/57 to Cape Town arrival 5/2/57 we carried 3 racehorses for the Cape. They were in large box stalls with open top half on the aft deck looked after Ch Officer Thornton as I recall. Oddly enough they always reached out to try and take a bite out of any members of Indian crew when passing, never bothered anybody else.

wully farquhar
11th January 2006, 17:24
Was with Salvesons of leith (salmela) and chartered by S.A.F. marine,we shipped six race horses down from the Big Apple to Cape Town.They belonged to Gary Player the golfer.The bosun got the job of looking after them.Don't know how they performed on the race course after their ordeal, but never heard anything so must have been ok. (Thumb)

Hamish Mackintosh
11th January 2006, 19:50
The railway boats out of Goole carried livestock on a regular basis ,in fact the two I was on had special 'pockets" welded on the bulkheads and deck of the tweendecks (Thumb) to support portable pens.We worked four on and four off and the spare man (second wheel) got the job of looking after the stock at the start of each watch,isn;t that how the term" Farmer"got started at sea?

Paedrig
11th January 2006, 21:34
On one trip on the Loch Ryan we brought six American Quarter horses from California to London. We ran into a proper hooligan of a gale in the Western approaches and nobody expected the horses to survive being thrown about in their stalls but they did, the groom who travelled with them was very relieved and so were we!

non descript
11th January 2006, 21:37
The railway boats out of Goole carried livestock on a regular basis ,in fact the two I was on had special 'pockets" welded on the bulkheads and deck of the tweendecks (Thumb) to support portable pens.We worked four on and four off and the spare man (second wheel) got the job of looking after the stock at the start of each watch,isn;t that how the term" Farmer"got started at sea?

Ah, is that where it came from.... it was one of those words I took for granted and never thought to look for a derivation. Thanks