Owners of the Palm Line

lagerstedt
3rd January 2006, 10:42
Was the Palm line ever owned by the Unilever Group of Companys?
I remember seeing something about Plam line ships, can't remember what, in the Unilever factory in Petone, which is near Wellington, NZ in the very early 70's.

Regards
Blair Lagerstedt

scottie dog
3rd January 2006, 11:33
Hi Blair
Yes Palm Line was owned by Unilever, for how long I dont Know but certainly between 1975 until 1984 which is the period I worked for them.

Regards
Mike (Applause)

Bruce Carson
3rd January 2006, 14:03
Lever Brothers (later Unilever) had acquired various shipping interests, which were merged as the United Africa Company in the late 1920s.
In 1949 the name was changed to the Palm Line.
Ocean Transport and Trading bought the line from Unilever in 1985. They, in turn, sold it to French interests a few years later.

Bruce C.

lakercapt
3rd January 2006, 16:13
Yes Palm Line was part of Unilever Group. At one time they were Known as United Africa Company.
Their assocciation ment that we used to end up in Brombrough Dock with Palm oil, groundnut oil, palm kernals and other oil seeds for the local Lever Brothers plant.
Never eaten margarine since.
The seagulls at Brombrough were very educated as the knew the Mersey tides.
Brombrough Dock water was , to tell it like it was, was toxic from the plant cooling waters. They used to gather at the lock gates before high tide when the sluices were opened to level the dock. Once those waters hit the Mersey any fish where killed immediately and the gulls had an easy meal.
Don't know if the dock still operates or if they finally cleaned up.
On benifit for the ships was any marine growth was killed and fell off. Believe the Mnchester Ship Canal had the same effest.

lagerstedt
5th January 2006, 09:15
Thanks for that. I have vague memories regarding photos of Palm ships on office walls. Did any ever come down this way?

Regards

Blair Lagerstedt
NZ

Palmship
8th January 2006, 20:06
In 1984 after the continued down turn in the West African trade 3 vessels were charters out to the Lloyd Brasiliero Line. The Lokoja Palm '82, became Lloyd Australia, Lagos Palm '82 became Lloyd Rio and the Bamenda Palm '79 became Lloyd Texas. The Lokoja and Lagos definately made voyages to Australia, I have photo's of them in Sydney harbour, and possibly on to NZ,not sure about the Bamenda though. Hope this helps. Graham

Cameo
30th May 2007, 12:06
If anyone is interested in a Palm Line publication there is a good one written by Laurence Dunn & P.M.Heaton, published by P.M.Heaton Publishing of Abergavenny, Gwent in 1994 priced at £17.95. ISBN 1 8720006 01 9.
This book gives the history and lst of ships from the formation of Bromport Shipping Co. in 1916 to the end of Palm Line, very interesting reading.
Hope this info is of use.
Regards.
Mike M.

R58484956
30th May 2007, 12:13
Greeting Cameo (Chief) and a warm welcome to SN. Thanks for signing on and enjoy the site. Like yourself most of us left the sea years ago but our minds are still there. Bon voyage.

Christopher Roberts
30th May 2007, 13:54
Alas Brombrough Dock is no more it has been tuned into a land fill site - the power station also has been demolished - the River Mersey has been cleaned up and fish and wild life is thriving

Ron Hamilton
30th May 2007, 14:53
Had an interesting trip on the Burutu Palm in '53/54, good cook, 'dottie skipper' with a Spanish name, & never wanted to go down that coast again. On a nostalgic trip home in '93, I can verify that fish are again prolific in the Mersey,for when I strolled along the promenade on the opposite side from Bromborough Dock ( by Brunswick Dk), the kids were offering to sell me sizable fish they were catching, unheard of when I was a kid ! Ron Hamilton,Tokoroa, N.Z.

Peter (Pat) Baker
31st May 2007, 12:43
Ronnie Hamilton,

I assume the skipper you refer to would be Francisco de Imaz, known as Frankie Imaz. I sailed with him in the Gambia Palm 1955-1956, and I also was in the Burutu Palm later in 1956.
Cheers,
Pat Baker.

Christopher Roberts
27th June 2007, 13:46
Afternoon Cameo,looking at your profile we both sailed on the same Palm Line ships (1 Kano Palm jan 1966) (2 Lobito Palm dec 1963) What years were you on either of those vessels

johntmorley
18th July 2007, 22:24
Hi Blair
Yes Palm Line was owned by Unilever, for how long I dont Know but certainly between 1975 until 1984 which is the period I worked for them.

Regards
Mike (Applause)
Originally United Africa Company then Unilever as I remember
JohnTy[=P]

vectiscol
22nd July 2007, 21:51
Wasn't there an article on Palm Line in Ships Monthly magazine just a month or two ago?