Shipbuilders Ship Models

Waighty
30th September 2011, 20:35
Does anyone have any information regarding the very detailed and very lifelike ship models that shipbuilders used to supply to shipowners. What promted this thread was seeing a model of a Hanjin box boat in the Korean Airways office on Piccadilly in London recently.

I remember seeing photos of some of the models supplied to Bank Line and very fine they looked too.

Were they supplied as part of a newbuild contract or did Bank Line specify how many they wanted? Were they all kept at head office or were they shared out to the overseas offices as well?

Lastly who's got them now and are they worth anything?

John Dryden
30th September 2011, 21:08
Hi Waighty,don,t have much info but always wanted one since I was a lad,be interesting if your questions are answered.
I did find one along time ago when poking about in the cellar of the mission to seamen in Whitby where my parents were the live in caretakers,it was covered in dust but in great condition.It went down to London for auction along with a huge oil painting of a sailing ship I found next to it.If I remember they raised £18000 for the mission.
I found this link googling; http://www.bonhams.com/usa/auction/17770/lot/133/

Alistair Macnab
30th September 2011, 22:31
When the USA offices and agencies were closed down, London asked for all the many ship models to be sent back to them. Some years ago, however, I noticed a Bank Boat model in what was formerly a Strachan Shipping office here in Houston. They were very cagey about telling me anything about its provenance! It may very well still be over here.

teb
1st October 2011, 06:56
I have a shipbuilders model originally launched as "Eastern Ranger/or was it "Eastern Rover ?" for Indo China Navigation then sold to Hong Kong Islands Shipping Co. who after trading her for a few years sold her for demolition in Taiwan. The owners presented me with the model after she was broken up( I actually sold the ship to HK Islands then again to the shipbreakers) I was under the impression in the old days the models were made by the apprentices in the yard and presented to the owners when they took delivery of their new vessel.

Cisco
1st October 2011, 07:16
I may be mistaken ( I'm never wrong but often mistaken....) the majority if not all the models of UK built ships that graced the offices of British companies and their agents were made by Bassett-Lowke .... some info here .. http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/local/bassett_lowke_s_ships_for_auction_1_924056

chadburn
1st October 2011, 18:02
I have a shipbuilders model originally launched as "Eastern Ranger/or was it "Eastern Rover ?" for Indo China Navigation then sold to Hong Kong Islands Shipping Co. who after trading her for a few years sold her for demolition in Taiwan. The owners presented me with the model after she was broken up( I actually sold the ship to HK Islands then again to the shipbreakers) I was under the impression in the old days the models were made by the apprentices in the yard and presented to the owners when they took delivery of their new vessel.

Most of the large Shipbuider's (when we had them) had their own model building department as they not only built the complete model's to present to the Owner's but also sectional model's like the engineroom layout which after being "verified" by the Drawing Office would the end up in the Outfitting Engineering Office as a visual guide, they were then usually scrapped when the vessel was completed.

Union Jack
1st October 2011, 21:00
The Museum of Transport in Glasgow has a very fine collection of well over 200 such models, presumably many of which were passed on by shipping companies and of course by the many late lamented Clydeside shipbuilding companies.

I also recall from childhood days that there were huge models of transatlantic liners located, somewhat bizarrely I used to think, even as a child, in glass cases on the first floor of R W Forsyth, the very posh ladies and gents outfitters, on Princes Street in Edinburgh. Perhaps these were passed on by their colleagues in the Glasgow store, who would have had much more ready access to such delights.

Equally curiously, there was a glass encased large model of the 1918 V Class destroyer, HMS VETERAN, lost with all hands in 1942, at the back of my school hall, but I sadly never enquired as to its provenance and have no knowledge of its present whererabouts. Since VETERAN was built at John Brown's there is an obvious Scottish connection, perhaps through an old boy.

On a smaller scale, there used to be a very smart model of a Ben Line vessel in the window of their offices in North St David Street in Edinburgh, but I cannot recall the name.

Jack

Shipbuilder
1st October 2011, 21:55
I seem to remember hearing somewhere that they were built by the apprentices at the shipyards during the construction of the actual ship. Don't know if its true.
Bob

jerome morris
1st October 2011, 22:49
I have also heard these fine models were built by the model shops of the varoius ship yards, with said model being delivered along with the actual ship.
Seems that most of the models have ended up in museums, once the original company was merged into an even bigger company run by bean counters with no interest in a ship model.
State University of New York ( SUNY), Fort Skyler has a number of large builders models and the US Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point also has a number of builders models. There is a 16' model of the SS Washington of 1939 at Kings Point which is very well done.
I aquired a large model (20') of a United Fruit Co. banana boat that had been built in 1945 by the ship yard. The model was in very bad shape but it is still very impressive....Some day I hope to restore her.

teb
2nd October 2011, 04:35
The shipbuilders model I have of "Tsing Yi Island" is in a glass case some 4ft6" x 2ft x1ft. .The builders were "Joseph Thompson & Sons of Sunderland. in 1961
(Would post a photo but my camera went missing on a recent cruise and have not yet purchased a replacement)(?HUH)

Jim S
2nd October 2011, 17:03
Most of the large Shipbuider's (when we had them) had their own model building department as they not only built the complete model's to present to the Owner's but also sectional model's like the engineroom layout which after being "verified" by the Drawing Office would the end up in the Outfitting Engineering Office as a visual guide, they were then usually scrapped when the vessel was completed.

I remember Yarrow had a full size wooden mock up of at least part of the machinery spaces for Ashanti the lead ship of the Tribal Class frigates in 1960-61 for the very reasons that you give. I cannot now remember too much about it but as an apprentice I was very impressed. I am assuming there were mock-ups of the boiler room and gearing room but all i remember seeing was the engine room.
All this of course before all singing and dancing computer generated images.

eldersuk
3rd October 2011, 00:51
When I was a whippersnapper I was fascinated by the builder's models on display in the Williamson Art Gallery in Birkenhead.
In later years whilst serving my time in Cammell Lairds I understood that the yard had a model making department where such models were made. In even later years I have heard of this type of model being sold or auctioned for tens of thousands of pounds.

Derek

bri445
3rd October 2011, 11:21
There used to be a very nice model of one of the ferry boats in Woodside terminal, Birkenhead. Which one?

James_C
4th October 2011, 12:18
There were many tales of hundreds of shipbuilders models being heaped up into skips and being burned as the Clyde shipyards were demolished/cleared from the 70s onwards.
Criminal really.

Alan Rawlinson
4th October 2011, 17:18
Does anyone have any information regarding the very detailed and very lifelike ship models that shipbuilders used to supply to shipowners. What promted this thread was seeing a model of a Hanjin box boat in the Korean Airways office on Piccadilly in London recently.

I remember seeing photos of some of the models supplied to Bank Line and very fine they looked too.

Were they supplied as part of a newbuild contract or did Bank Line specify how many they wanted? Were they all kept at head office or were they shared out to the overseas offices as well?

Lastly who's got them now and are they worth anything?

Visited the remnants of Bankline when they were based in the old Royal Mint at Tower Hill in the 90's. The office was well furnished with lovely ship models in prominent places, but not sure the money traders appreciated them like some of us..... I can recall my old ship SOUTHBANK perched over a desk.

Can' t believe they were dumped.

Waighty
6th October 2011, 12:02
My thanks to all who have contributed to this thread; fascinating to read.

When I lived in Edinburgh (working for Forth Ports) there was an office in Rutland Square where one of the many chemical and gas tanker companies had a branch office; I can't recall the company's name but the "Etagas" was one of theirs, as was "Betagas". The front window of this office was packed with very good models of the various tankers. I went back this year for a look-see and they were gone!

I would love to get hold of the model of the "Corabank". Why? To remind me of the nature of true hard work! Seriously, the one I would really like to get is "Riverbank" (1970s), fine looking vessels. If only the cargo handling gear had been better...

gordy
6th October 2011, 12:13
Many of the Glasgow Transport Museum models are now in the new Riverside Museum. There is not a model 'room' as such, but a 'conveyor belt' type display which has an information screen which illuminates as each model passes. There is also a very large display unit where the models are suspended on wires.

In Fairfields yard in Govan, the model building shop was a great source of entertainment for skiving apprentices. There were models still there of ships long gone to their owners, so where they were intended to go who knows?

slick
6th October 2011, 15:21
All,
There are a few on HQS WELLINGTON at Temple Stairs London, MV London Statesman (?) comes to mind, and a Shell Tanker, it is like a model fleet review.
There is also on display probably the finest collection of Merchant Navy Cap badges.

Yours aye,

slick

Winebuff
11th October 2011, 19:18
There are a number on show at the Maritime Museum in Liverpool.

I picked up a wooden Half Hull in an antique shop in Exmouth many years ago, supposed to be a French trawler and made by the skipper. Looks very good on the wall of my office, even if I am the only one to see her.

BelliniTosi
11th October 2011, 20:03
This model went for £7k at auction last year
A FINELY RESTORED DOCKYARD BUILDER'S MODEL OF THE S.S. PHOTINIA, BUILT FOR J. ROBINSON & SONS BY PICKERSGILL OF SOUTHWICK, 1913
with carved laminated hull with lacquered and lined decks, with complete fittings finished in gold and polished brass, mounted on four turned brass columns within glazed mahogany case with details date (hull repainted, case and plate later), overall measurements -- 22¼ x 58¼ x 13½in. (57 x 148 x 34.5cm.)

and this one for £10k
BUILDER'S PRESENTATION MODEL OF THE S.S. BERNICIA AND IVERNIA, BUILT BY REDERIAKTIEBOLAGET SVENSKA LLOYD GÖTEBORG for the London line 1920-21 by bassett-lowke ltd, northampton
with laminated and carved hull, lacquered and lined decks complete with gold-plated fittings, masts, davits and rigging, mounted on four oxidised-brass columns on raised display plinth with builder's plates, within original glazed case, overall measurements including stands -- 64 x 79½ x 21¼in. (162.5 x 202 x 54cm.)

and these were sold at a Bonhams auction last year
152 A generic cased Builder's model for the SS Towergate & Aldersgate 1906. 58x16x19in (147.5x41x48cm) case £10,800
153 A builders' model of the Turret Deck steamship Elaine 50.5x11.5x17in (128x29x43cm) £12,000
154 A Fine Builder's model of a steam Bucket Dredger. 56.5x19x25in (144x48x64cm) £11,760
155 A builder's model of the Bank Line ship MV Eastbank, 1947 16x20x75in (40x50x190cm) £13,200