Deadly Straits by Robert E. McDermott

callpor
2nd October 2011, 18:51
Have just finished reading Bob McDermotts great novel "Deadly Straits" on my Kindle. It's his first published novel and available as an e-book on Amazon.
If you want to enjoy a really exciting but technically proficient and modern maritime thriller, then this is the one.
It is based upon recent events and involes modern vessels and their crews in truely understandable situations. For once, the characters are wholly believable and 'real' with none of the rubbish spouted by more well know authors.
It would be good to hear that the membershipo of SN have given Bob's extremely competent but thrilling book their endorsement.
Chris(==D)(==D)

David Campbell
3rd October 2011, 05:11
callpor. Taking yur word for it. Have just downloaded to my iPad Kindle, good value at $2.99. Will let you know what i think, but am a slow reader. Regards.

callpor
3rd October 2011, 15:24
Its a good yarn and well worth $2.99 . Enjoy. Regards

Andy Lavies
10th October 2011, 20:02
I've downloaded it onto my wife's Kindle - don't know when I'm going to be allowed to read it.
Andy

callpor
11th October 2011, 16:44
I've downloaded it onto my wife's Kindle - don't know when I'm going to be allowed to read it.
Andy

Andy,

While you are waiting read the critique by Richard Spilman in OldSaltBlog at http://www.oldsaltblog.com/2011/10/03/deadly-straits-by-r-e-mcdermott-a-review/ .

Chris

Andy Lavies
7th December 2011, 08:59
I've read it - not quite at a sitting because bedtime got in the way - but over two days. The author is knowledgeable in maritime matters and it shows. I'm glad that I didn't come across any of his baddies during my career - I doubt I'd be as resourceful as the heroes. The plot, in these politically troubled times, is believable with a multitude of twists, turns and new surprises round every corner. A thoroughly enjoyable yarn.
Andy

Andy Lavies
28th January 2012, 17:12
Bob McDermott's book "Deadly Straits" is (or is about to be) on 'special offer' for a week or so. I thoroughly enjoyed it and it is available for Kindle (99p during the sale) as well as in paperback. Recommended for a good read.
Andy

Gareth Jones
28th January 2012, 17:19
What can I say - such recommendations and only 99p ! just downloaded it !