hotspurnorm
4th January 2006, 15:54
Port Townsville

flyer682
13th January 2006, 04:46
and???? (?HUH)

EMMESSTEE
15th January 2006, 07:47
Is this going further ..... and what is it?

----------
Mike.

Dave Spencer
11th May 2007, 21:50
I sailed on her for two trips 1966/67. First ship I was on that was single berth, had air conditioning, a great run and a great crowd. Where did this thread start?

K urgess
11th May 2007, 22:46
I was on the Townsville September 68 to end of January 69.
I remember the air conditioning.
The ac room was next door to my cabin. This meant that my punkah louvre was the first on the circuit.
Sparkie was a very chilly bunny and glad when the heating went on again.

Derbyroy
3rd February 2008, 23:37
this list could go on for ever , I sailed on the port Nelson.. 1969. 2 months later she was a god only knows boat ... in the late 60,s these ships were being transferred for tax purposes, as the ships were all owened by Furness Withy shipping anyway.........

Mick quinn
30th March 2008, 19:37
Sailed on the Port Nicholson 12/67 - 4/68, Port Burnie 4/68 - 10/68, Port Alfred 12/68 - 9/69, Port Chalmers (run-job) 10/69, Port Albany 6/70 - 2/71.

Of these the two part sisters Burnie & Albany were the best ships although the run, Canada/US to Australia/NZ was a run that got boring after a while.

Cranes made a nice change though, derricks are all well and good but they are not labour intensive!

Sorry to leave Port Line but joined Houlders so all was not lost.(Thumb)

Derbyroy
12th May 2008, 00:49
Mick ,
Cranes were ok ..lol until I lost half me right index finger trying to put the topping lift wire back on on top of the crane cab.. no fun at all.. derricks were easy, did the job got greased got lashed down for 24 days and forgotten..cranes had to be run up twice aweek all lashings off and worked for about an hour ...just too keep us busy i suppose ..lol
best wishes anyway . apart from losing a bit of me hand Port Nelson was a great ship and crew ..sorry went she went..
best regard s Derby

Terry Willcox
4th October 2008, 15:51
I was with Port Line for some time ( 7 Years I think ) Port Pirie. Port Auckland. Port Maquarie. Port Nicholson. Port Wellington. Port Napier. Port Invercargill. Port New Plymouth. Port Victor. Scythia. Andania. ( Charter ).1964-1970, Some of the best days of my life.

Iain Reedie
1st October 2010, 19:30
I sailed on Port Townsville 1964/65 as Junior engineer. whilst on east coast of USA Main Engine main bearings failed. Had to be towed in to Newport News dockyard for repairs.
Iain Reedie

Billieboy
1st October 2010, 19:52
Which Port Line bot was it that put a couple of pistons through the Skylights after drydock in Avonmouth? My old school mate Bob Mitchell was supposed to sail on her, but was pulled off after the casualty, to go to another vessel. It would have been about 1962-3

borderreiver
1st October 2010, 19:56
Joined Port Victor 17 sept 1960 on my 16th birthday .Was transferred to the port Montreal. Got home a year later 7 round voyages between japan and NZ. Great time with the girls and 1 pound gave you 1000 yen.

sagalout
9th October 2010, 21:58
I was on The Port Vindex Jan '67 went round the coast then deep sea to New Zealand came back August '67. I was pantry boy sacked all the catering crew off the line but the galley boy stayed & I worked by on a couple of Port boats then went on Shell. Not a happy trip deep sea but round the coast was a great laugh. We all got drunk on the ferry over to Dunkirk where we joined her & sobered up when we got to London 2 weeks later.

john meekin
14th June 2011, 16:39
I sailed on Port Townsville 1964/65 as Junior engineer. whilst on east coast of USA Main Engine main bearings failed. Had to be towed in to Newport News dockyard for repairs.
Iain Reedie

iain, the townsville was a great ship topsides,but a bit of a disaster down below,i joined her mid 1961,at swan hunters,she had just had 5 months rebuild of one of her engines,i think it had gone kaput off the aussie coast,i was a.b.and we had a great time on her,
best regards,
john(yorky) meekin

billythekid
4th September 2011, 11:45
I was with Port Line for some time ( 7 Years I think ) Port Pirie. Port Auckland. Port Maquarie. Port Nicholson. Port Wellington. Port Napier. Port Invercargill. Port New Plymouth. Port Victor. Scythia. Andania. ( Charter ).1964-1970, Some of the best days of my life.

hey terry my father worked for port line as a 4 & 3 engineer from 64 till 67 his name was william (billy or bill) maxwell was wondering if u knew him ??????