Fleetwood Nautical College - Liberal Studies

Quiney
8th October 2011, 20:34
During my time at FNC, every Wednesday afternoon we had Liberal Studies.
Nowt to do with going to sea.
Sports, painting, boat building (ah, that one is nautical) and the other topics I can't remember.

What were the other topics?

What did you do? I did oil painting with Mr ???, the librarian, and boat building (made a pram dingy) with Nevil Watson.

sparkie2182
8th October 2011, 20:42
Maurice Wilson, is the name you are seeking John.

I did sailing, and became a rufty -tufty sailor, like Marinejoky.

:)

Do you recall the splendid hour per week on M.N. familiarisation?

Sadly and unforgivably i fail to remember the name of the Nav lecturer who took us...........and i really should remember.

It mostly comprised of salty talk of the high seas and non-specific transmitted diseases.

niggle
9th October 2011, 12:38
Aah John more memories coming back to me, in my time at FNC we had liberal studies one year down at Blackpool and Fylde college at Bispham listening to music. Remember the lecturer was into Chicargo but it made a change of scenery from Broadwater and there were females there as well. Here's a question for you what was Mr Hunt's initials? or more accurately did we adjust it to.

sparkie2182
9th October 2011, 13:16
Yeah, I remember............. :)

We had two females at FNC in the '71 intake............Ann Hamilton was one, the name of the other i forget.

They were the first females ever to enroll.

Treborvfr
9th October 2011, 15:35
Yeah, I remember............. :)

We had two females at FNC in the '71 intake............Ann Hamilton was one, the name of the other i forget.

They were the first females ever to enroll.

That is the year I started on the MRGC course. The other was Linda something or other I think.

Bob

Treborvfr
9th October 2011, 15:39
Liberal Studies, I remember it well. One term I did oil painting, another fencing (rapier, not wooden (*)) ), also swimming at Derby baths (where I dived off the 10 metre board for the first time), and ice skating.

Bob

michaelF
9th October 2011, 16:45
That is the year I started on the MRGC course. The other was Linda something or other I think.

Bob

Linda Aspden (sp)

mike

Quiney
9th October 2011, 16:54
Linda Aspden (sp)

mike

Ah yes, a very popular girl!

michaelF
9th October 2011, 17:03
Ah yes, a very popular girl!

Linda was also a girl guide and taught the local Brownies. In 72 i examined all her young troop for their signals badge in semaphore , had to pass them all, even though some had been taught the mirror image of the flags . Happy days .

mike

sparkie2182
9th October 2011, 17:45
Later came Rose Dollah from Singapore, Lindsay Gribben from Manchester and Carol Harrison.

My favourite was Joan Brand in the Gen Office though.

Treborvfr
9th October 2011, 18:08
I remember Rose, and i think I knew Lindsay when i returned to do the radar course in 1975/76.

I seem to remember there was another female who joined my group in the 3rd year, so that'd be around 1973/74. She transferred from Hull, but i can't for the life remember her name.

Bob

Steven Lamb
5th November 2011, 07:19
During my time at FNC, every Wednesday afternoon we had Liberal Studies.
Nowt to do with going to sea.
Sports, painting, boat building (ah, that one is nautical) and the other topics I can't remember.

What were the other topics?

What did you do? I did oil painting with Mr ???, the librarian, and boat building (made a pram dingy) with Nevil Watson.

Hyer John
Liberal Studies - when possible skinned-off to the Broadway for some liquid refreshment - those classrooms use to get terribly stuffy
then back to the digs for a Siesta !

Linda - a dark-haired beauty with a tremendous chassis !
Wonder where she is these days ?

Rgds
Lamby(Thumb)(Hippy)

pete1207
1st March 2012, 12:13
I was at FNC commencing 1971 doing a Maritime Course which entailed Navigation etc. Boarded at the Dorchester Hotel on the front. Winters were bleak. Had some good times . Left to go back to Everards and then P & O deep sea.

sparkie2182
1st March 2012, 16:09
We were in the same intake, Pete. Winters WERE bleak...........:(

Best regards.......

S2182

pete1207
25th March 2012, 20:23
Sparkie,

They certainly were. If I remember correctly it was the start of the Cod War up in Iceland. My sister who also went to FNC on her induction as a Nav Officer with Houlder Bros. One of the first....

Good to hear from you

Regards

Pete

sparkie2182
25th March 2012, 20:28
Thanks Pete........

Treborvfr
26th March 2012, 09:09
I was at FNC commencing 1971 doing a Maritime Course which entailed Navigation etc. Boarded at the Dorchester Hotel on the front. Winters were bleak. Had some good times . Left to go back to Everards and then P & O deep sea.

I started in September 1971, but two weeks into the term. By then the Dorchester was full so I was put into digs in London Street, where Lamby also resided along with several others. I manged to stay there for about 18 months before Keith Forster and myself got thrown out by the new Landlord and Landlady (they didn't understand out sense of humour :rolleyes: ).

The next digs we went to were just down the road from the Mount Hotel, run by one of the college lecturers (on the radio side, his name escapes me at present, it may have been Hughes) and his wife. Great digs, with excellent food (his wife used to teach taught cookery at a college), and the family were very nice. Unfortunately, Keith and I got thrown out of there too within the year due to our "enjoying the night life too much" and always rolling in late. How I ever made it through college I never know, at the time Keith didn't, he had to leave a few months later when he failed his exams. He did return a couple of years later and successfuly passed. I'm not sure what happend to Keith I lost touch with him about 30 years ago, though I believe Lamby has bumped into him more recently.

Bob
(known as Bobbles at FNC)

Steven Lamb
29th March 2012, 16:47
I started in September 1971, but two weeks into the term. By then the Dorchester was full so I was put into digs in London Street, where Lamby also resided along with several others. I manged to stay there for about 18 months before Keith Forster and myself got thrown out by the new Landlord and Landlady (they didn't understand out sense of humour :rolleyes: ).

The next digs we went to were just down the road from the Mount Hotel, run by one of the college lecturers (on the radio side, his name escapes me at present, it may have been Hughes) and his wife. Great digs, with excellent food (his wife used to teach taught cookery at a college), and the family were very nice. Unfortunately, Keith and I got thrown out of there too within the year due to our "enjoying the night life too much" and always rolling in late. How I ever made it through college I never know, at the time Keith didn't, he had to leave a few months later when he failed his exams. He did return a couple of years later and successfuly passed. I'm not sure what happend to Keith I lost touch with him about 30 years ago, though I believe Lamby has bumped into him more recently.

Bob
(known as Bobbles at FNC)

Hi Rob

"Join the Club" matey ! In my mispent college youth I got lobbed-out of 3 digs for mainly rolling-in drunk & tapping one landlady's daughter (same age of course !) Reading between the lines there's been a few 'documentations' listed on here from ex FNC lads who had to shift digs because of similar antics ! "Bring back the 70's" never a dull moment at Fleetwood Nautical College eh ?
Last saw Keith back in the early 2002 we were both in the same outfit and doing a fire-fighting course at Teeside Fire School (by the airport) He eventually got thru his ticket and went on further to become an ET sailing mainly on ULCC / VLCC's with some Arab outfit - think Vela ?

Look after yourself - will give you a buzz in a couple of weeks time.

Best Rgds / 73's
Lamby
(Pint)(Thumb)(Hippy)

Ldpop
13th January 2013, 20:18
Later came Rose Dollah from Singapore, Lindsay Gribben from Manchester and Carol Harrison.

My favourite was Joan Brand in the Gen Office though.

Hi, I am Lindsey, was at FNC 74 - 78

IMRCSparks
29th January 2013, 01:03
Hi, I am Lindsey, was at FNC 74 - 78

Hi Lindsey, How are you these days? We were on the same Radar course at FNC in 78. Has you're cricket improved over the last 34 years? I remember that you were a pretty good spin bowler during those lunchtime sessions when we managed to stay out of the Broadwater! Good to hear from someone from back then. Best wishes,
Kevin (Charlie) Brown
[Now there's a nickname that I haven't used for 30 odd years!!]