Did you ever sail on the Bankline ' white ships '?

Alan Rawlinson
13th October 2011, 11:18
We have had a few exchanges on SN about the ' white ships ' Inchanga and Isipingo. ( The 2 survivors of the unique trio built) but I thought it might be interesting to get up a list of ex Inchanga/Isipingo shipmates.

This was triggered by a request for information on a ' Ted Weller ' who sailed on the Inchanga. Any one any knowledge of this gent?

From memory, I am aware of 3 or 4 of us who were 'Inchangerites', to coin a phrase, and I know Jim, in Felixstowe, was an Isipingo man.

Any more out there? Time is passing.........................

jimthehat
13th October 2011, 11:41
We have had a few exchanges on SN about the ' white ships ' Inchanga and Isipingo. ( The 2 survivors of the unique trio built) but I thought it might be interesting to get up a list of ex Inchanga/Isipingo shipmates.

This was triggered by a request for information on a ' Ted Weller ' who sailed on the Inchanga. Any one any knowledge of this gent?

From memory, I am aware of 3 or 4 of us who were 'Inchangerites', to coin a phrase, and I know Jim, in Felixstowe, was an Isipingo man.

YUP Isipingo,two years as 3/0 from 16/9/57(Dakar) to 13/9/59 (calcutta) master... frosdick
mate Jr lynch
2/0 a ginger haired yorkshire man

jim

Ben Masey
13th October 2011, 17:26

Hi,I was second mate on Isipingo 7/6/63- 16/4/64
Master (Brigadier) Awcock
C/E Morgan
Butler "Brown Owl"

Can't remember the names of others.

Ben Masey

Alistair Macnab
13th October 2011, 18:00
For the sake of completeness, I must again admit to having sailed on the "Inchanga" as Third Mate from April(?) 1958 to May(?) 1960 joining in Mombasa after flying out on a BOAC Argonaut from London to Nairobi then East African Airways Dakota to Mombasa. Somehow or other, I don't remember how I got home! Was it from Calcutta or Durban, I don't remember.
(No corny comments, please!) One thing I do remember is that I had only been aboard the ship in Mombasa for three hours when the Old Man stopped my tap for some reason or another!
Staff on board during the voyage were:
Master: Captain Jackson OBE; Captain Harry Allan (Ballymena), Captain John Williams (Durban)
Mate: Wilkie Rutherford
2nd. Mate: Alan Macgregor (Aberdeen)
3rd.Mate: Hamish Macnab (Ayr)
Radio Officer: Tom Scott Weir (Glasgow)
Apprentices: John Mellows (Northern Rhodesia and General Botha); John Baird (Australia via Durban) and Andrew Lavies (Johannesburg)
Chief Engineer: Fred Gibbons (Wales and Durban)
2nd. Engineer: Pete Arrowsmith (Calcutta)
Surgeon: Dr. Ray (Calcutta)
Stewardess: Mrs. Bowness (Lancashire via Durban)
Purser: Mr Ray (Calcutta)
Writer: "Brown Owl" (Calcutta)
and various engineers including : Bannerjee (Calcutta), Bandaraniake (Ceylon), Das Gupta (Calcutta).
We had three Chinese engine room fitters and two Chinese Carpenters, a bunch of laundry wallahs and a hairdresser as well as an enhanced service staff including waiters, a Chief Steward AND a Butler!

Alan Rawlinson
13th October 2011, 22:09
I spent the whole of 1952 on the Inchanga, as Apprentice/uncertificated 3/0. Capt. Jackson. C/O Rigby,2/O J Lynch.
The other first trip App was Ian Harvey, recently retired I/C from the S African ports service.

Still getting 'flashbacks' near 60 years later, and for all the wrong reasons!

Picture a balmy tropical night, ship gliding along , outside it is dark, with cloud shadows from the moonlight. NO radar. Approx location - the half degree channel ( was it called?) Maldive Islands.... Last words of the hand over - something like " Keep her in the middle " Me on the bridge, with not a clue where we were, and the distant sound of partying, wafting up from below. It's a definition of helplessness, I suppose, looking for palm trees in the shadows...

jimthehat
13th October 2011, 23:49
I spent the whole of 1952 on the Inchanga, as Apprentice/uncertificated 3/0. Capt. Jackson. C/O Rigby,2/O J Lynch.
The other first trip App was Ian Harvey, recently retired I/C from the S African ports service.

Still getting 'flashbacks' near 60 years later, and for all the wrong reasons!

Picture a balmy tropical night, ship gliding along , outside it is dark, with cloud shadows from the moonlight. NO radar. Approx location - the half degree channel ( was it called?) Maldive Islands.... Last words of the hand over - something like " Keep her in the middle " Me on the bridge, with not a clue where we were, and the distant sound of partying, wafting up from below. It's a definition of helplessness, I suppose.

How on earth did we manage to keep those ships afloat without radar ,as you say alan going through the half degree channel north of gan.Look what happens now ships with all modern cons still manage to run up on a reef.
I think our ships doctor was a dr Ghosh ,him i will never forger.One morning when we were in calcutta drydock the doc and I were sitting at breakfast when someone came running into the saloon shouting that the 2/e had fallen off the gangway and was down in the bottom of the drydock,we both rushed out,the doc took one look and refused to go down ,the mate and i went down ,but the poor sec was dead.
We called for a stretcher but the dock police refused to let us touch the body until they got clearance,it was about 1500 before permission to lift the body was granted,terrible attitude of the police.

jim

David E
14th October 2011, 01:28
Inchanga
I was in her from June 1950 until March 1952 alternating as App/Senior App and U3M over the period.Some names,particularly the 2nd.Mates have faded over 60 years-others are well remembered.

Master: Captain A Stafford-Watts: Captain J W Greig: Captain J Beavis
Mate:Wise: J Rigby
2nd.Mate: 1.Seychellois 2.South African (x Botha) 3. Brit Names forgotten
4.John Lynch
3rd.Mate: South African (x Botha): John Lynch: Self
Apprentices: Ted Webber (x Botha): Self: Alan Rawlinson:Ian Harvey (x Botha)
Chief Engineer: Fred Gibbons
Purser: J.Johnson
Stewardess: Mrs Bowness

I suspect the Ted Weller mentioned may be Ted Webber who was the Senior Apprentice when I joined her.He was S.African,x Botha and came from Durban.He left the ship after suffering Appendicitis,I met him later in Madras when he was in the "Nairnbank" and lost track after that.He is listed in the Gen.Botha,1948 Year,but there are no entries after the "Nairnbank"

In passing, does anyone remember the name of the Apprentice/U3M who was killed by a falling derrick in the "Cabarita",in 1952,when the head shackle sheared ?

Andy Lavies
14th October 2011, 18:44
1958-1960 33 Months in all as Apprentice/Uncertificated 3/0.

Andy

jimthehat
15th October 2011, 00:02
1958-1960 33 Months in all as Apprentice/Uncertificated 3/0.

AndySo Alastair and yourself Andy were on the inchanga at the same time as i was on the Isipingo,dont think that we were ever in port together,probably passed somewhere in the iddian ocean.

jim

Alan Rawlinson
15th October 2011, 08:17
Inchanga
I was in her from June 1950 until March 1952 alternating as App/Senior App and U3M over the period.Some names,particularly the 2nd.Mates have faded over 60 years-others are well remembered.

Master: Captain A Stafford-Watts: Captain J W Greig: Captain J Beavis
Mate:Wise: J Rigby
2nd.Mate: 1.Seychellois 2.South African (x Botha) 3. Brit Names forgotten
4.John Lynch
3rd.Mate: South African (x Botha): John Lynch: Self
Apprentices: Ted Webber (x Botha): Self: Alan Rawlinson:Ian Harvey (x Botha)
Chief Engineer: Fred Gibbons
Purser: J.Johnson
Stewardess: Mrs Bowness

I suspect the Ted Weller mentioned may be Ted Webber who was the Senior Apprentice when I joined her.He was S.African,x Botha and came from Durban.He left the ship after suffering Appendicitis,I met him later in Madras when he was in the "Nairnbank" and lost track after that.He is listed in the Gen.Botha,1948 Year,but there are no entries after the "Nairnbank"

In passing, does anyone remember the name of the Apprentice/U3M who was killed by a falling derrick in the "Cabarita",in 1952,when the head shackle sheared ?

Hallo David - greetings from Cornwall...

Had a look in the old discharge book, and I see we were together on the Inchanga for Xmas 1951, as I signed on on the 20th December 1951. Don't remember the slightest thing about it! Must have been a corker.

I do remember hearing about the tragedy on the ' Cabarita ', but not the name of the poor lad.

Johnnietwocoats
17th October 2011, 05:25
I have often thought that I would have loved to do all my Apprenticeship on one of the White Ships....

I was born for the old Colonial lifestyle.....

On my frst trip on the "Eastbank" I fell in love in the Seychelles....1960...

Did the Isipingo or the Inchanga call there on a regular basis?

Alistair Macnab
17th October 2011, 05:34
Johnny....
The mail contract before the air mail connection to Mahe was by BI's "Kampala" and "Karanja" on the Bombay - Mombasa - Durban service. Like you, I always hoped we'd call in to the Seychelles but never did whilst I was on the "Inchanga".
Even calls at Gan in the Maldives were usually accomplished by Brocklebank's. Bank Line's stomping grounds in the Indian Ocean were Madagascar, Mauritius and Reunion.

Alan Rawlinson
17th October 2011, 09:44
Can recall making a visit to Diego Garcia, where it was very wild and difficult to hook up to the mooring buoy in the Ocean swell. Rather think this was on another Bank Line ship, rather than the Inchanga however.

On the Inchanga we visited Rangoon occasionally, and also the little East African islands of Linda, Pemba, Tanga, in addition to the regular stops at Zanzibar and Dar Es Salaam. Seem to remember there was a lot of anchor work involved. My role was to look after the anchor marker we used - and of course it was regularly lost or damaged in the unscientific art of anchor work.

jimthehat
17th October 2011, 09:55
Johnny....
The mail contract before the air mail connection to Mahe was by BI's "Kampala" and "Karanja" on the Bombay - Mombasa - Durban service. Like you, I always hoped we'd call in to the Seychelles but never did whilst I was on the "Inchanga".
Even calls at Gan in the Maldives were usually accomplished by Brocklebank's. Bank Line's stomping grounds in the Indian Ocean were Madagascar, Mauritius and Reunion.

Only called into the seychelles once and that was for a medical emergency.
called into gan twice but that was on the ettrickbank whilst on the far east run.
Di dthe inchanga have a cricket team,The isipingo had the best team on the indian /African coast,we had all the equipment including our own mat which we hauled ashore when necessary.
Our senior app app had played for Rhodesia schoolboys and a couple of our engineers had played state cricket,and the chief was a handy fast bowler and I was the captain and wicket keeper.

jim

David E
17th October 2011, 12:10
Hallo David - greetings from Cornwall...

Had a look in the old discharge book, and I see we were together on the Inchanga for Xmas 1951, as I signed on on the 20th December 1951. Don't remember the slightest thing about it! Must have been a corker.

I do remember hearing about the tragedy on the ' Cabarita ', but not the name of the poor lad.

Checking,I only managed one Christmas at home between 1949 and 1960.This one is one of the few that I do remember.We were in Colombo.John Lynch wanted to go to Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve,so we went ashore,had a few jars at the venerable GOH,attended the service,then hired a boatman for an hour and enjoyed the quietening harbour.
I can't remember Christmas Day itself-I think we got involved in a fairly heavy session with the next door Lecky (Pete Garner?) and some of the Engineers-all hidden in the mists! It was a good job that Rigby was there-his predecessor would have crucified us.Believe it or not-Ted Webber had his shore leave stopped for a fortnight for going ashore with an Engineer in Calcutta-Unbelievable.

I've remembered the name of S.African 3M,Ian Pole.We seemed to rotate 2Ms at three monthly intervals-every time it happened he moved up one pro tem,so did I.He went ashore for his next Ticket-John Lynch joined and was 3M till he moved up permamently early in '52.After I left-you "upgraded"-made a big difference to the pay

Alan Rawlinson
17th October 2011, 14:56
Checking,I only managed one Christmas at home between 1949 and 1960.This one is one of the few that I do remember.We were in Colombo.John Lynch wanted to go to Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve,so we went ashore,had a few jars at the venerable GOH,attended the service,then hired a boatman for an hour and enjoyed the quietening harbour.
I can't remember Christmas Day itself-I think we got involved in a fairly heavy session with the next door Lecky (Pete Garner?) and some of the Engineers-all hidden in the mists! It was a good job that Rigby was there-his predecessor would have crucified us.Believe it or not-Ted Webber had his shore leave stopped for a fortnight for going ashore with an Engineer in Calcutta-Unbelievable.

I've remembered the name of S.African 3M,Ian Pole.We seemed to rotate 2Ms at three monthly intervals-every time it happened he moved up one pro tem,so did I.He went ashore for his next Ticket-John Lynch joined and was 3M till he moved up permamently early in '52.After I left-you "upgraded"-made a big difference to the pay

It did, and I was just getting used to life in the fast lane, when a new App, out of his time took over. I think it may have been someone called Weston, who I knew from pre sea days. His claim to fame was that he had gone overboard on a previous ship, and been picked up. J Lynch was a good shipmate, who kept us both amused and challenged, as he was a cerebral sort. We were all gob smacked when he casually announced he was taking a ticket in Durban without leave or any sign of additional study!

Johnnietwocoats
17th October 2011, 19:57
Johnny....

I joined the Eastbank in July 1960...

We loaded in the the UK for Red Sea ports, Seychelles and India on a Brocklebank Charter...

I met the love of my life in the Seychelles (At least for that part of my life)

Her name was Doris Gendron. French and the daughter of to local postmaster (I think)

I can still remember her address, which I will not post. I believe she left the Seychelles and moved to Australia. Probably met some lucky Aussie on a ship....LOL

BTW...If anyone knows of her I would be interested....

Amsilla
12th December 2011, 10:49
So Alastair and yourself Andy were on the inchanga at the same time as i was on the Isipingo,dont think that we were ever in port together,probably passed somewhere in the iddian ocean.

jim

Hi Jim

My late dad was the purser on the Isipingo-if my memmory serves me right he joined the company in the early 1950's & left the company in 1959. My dad was a south african indian,his mates called him Chris although his registered name was Krishna Reddy. Would you have know him