nosira ships

nomad
17th October 2011, 14:14
is anyone else surprised these ships lasted 30 years i for one did not think they would last 15 years

Ian J. Huckin
17th October 2011, 20:23
is anyone else surprised these ships lasted 30 years i for one did not think they would last 15 years

I was on the building team for these ships. For the first one, Lin, I had over 600 guarantee defects, there was a condition of class on her crankshaft before she did her maiden voyage and the first cargo was suggested as being 30,000 ton of pipe brackets as she vibrated so bad. This was partially cured by installing an electronically governed balancing unit in the steering flat. I can explain it more but it would take ages.....

Ugly, uncomfortable ships at best.....

nomad
18th October 2011, 22:05
yea they were ugly and cheap but i did have some great times on them and sailed with some terrific people
we had a few weeks in nagasaki repairing some of the defects on the lin after getting caught in a storm whilst taking grain from new orleans to china kinda ironic another british built ship was there at the same time also getting emergency repairs

andyburn
7th January 2012, 23:20
I was on both the Lin and the Madeleine ..some good times, some not. I'm looking for a port name from the Lin trip, the dates were from November 87 to May 88. One of the Southern Pacific Islands. I've a feeling it was in Fiji, but other than that my memory fails me....anyone help?

Ian J. Huckin
13th January 2012, 19:37
Was long gone by then. Actually though for the best part of '89 I was on a 500 ton specialized reefer scooting around all the Islands picking up tuna from Korean long liners and Islander pole boats. Rotuma Island and Fijian crew...stopped every Sunday for a church service on deck. Strange times.....

marinemec2004
7th July 2012, 17:43
I sailed on the Lin sometime in the mid-eighties... Canadian Lakes.. Great run.
In 10 years spent in the Merchant Navy, never been on such poor feeders as these ships. Did another one of theirs, the Reynolds! Crap ships, everything done on the cheap.

A.D.FROST
8th July 2012, 10:59
In 10 years spent in the Merchant Navy, never been on such poor feeders as these ships. Did another one of theirs, the Reynolds! Crap ships, everything done on the cheap.

Its ironic that his (Arison-Nosira) other ships were Carnival Cruises(Ouch)

Ian J. Huckin
29th August 2012, 17:57

Hmmm, guess you are being serious after your other comment about the Reynolds...

marinemec2004
29th August 2012, 20:22
Hmmm, guess you are being serious after your other comment about the Reynolds...

Ian , only telling it as I found it... I was on the crew side, so maybe it was different for you guys " up top".. You cannot argue that the ships were cheaply made.. The accomodation on the Lin ( for us anyway ) wasnt up to much.
The food, like I said earlier -never ever did I sail on a ship other than the Lin were everything was rationed. Couldn't have been much of a budget.
Like I said though the run up the lakes was superb..
Each to his own.
Also, may only have done 10 years, but 5 of them were with Joe Shell, and every one of them was a minimum of 6 months -how long were YOUR trips. Also, sailed on 25 + year old tankers and enjoyed them more than both of those Bolton trampers!

Pat McCardle
30th August 2012, 12:37
Just mentioned this to a mate of mine who joined 'Lin' on her maiden tip out of Sunderland. He was a Steward on her, Dave Lisle, he said the food & accommodation was very reasonable.

A.D.FROST
30th August 2012, 14:02
I usually find that a good/bad feeder is down to the Chief Thief or tucker fuker

Ian J. Huckin
4th September 2012, 21:53
Ian , only telling it as I found it... I was on the crew side, so maybe it was different for you guys " up top".. You cannot argue that the ships were cheaply made.. The accomodation on the Lin ( for us anyway ) wasnt up to much.
The food, like I said earlier -never ever did I sail on a ship other than the Lin were everything was rationed. Couldn't have been much of a budget.
Like I said though the run up the lakes was superb..
Each to his own.
Also, may only have done 10 years, but 5 of them were with Joe Shell, and every one of them was a minimum of 6 months -how long were YOUR trips. Also, sailed on 25 + year old tankers and enjoyed them more than both of those Bolton trampers!

After sailing for four years on early 50's built Doxford engined Ore Carriers I went and stood by building Rossetti (longest trip 22 months) Reynolds and Rubens and they were as good as any bulker in those days. Reynolds was the partyingest ship EVER!!!!

However, your point about the Nosira ships is well taken. I stood by building Lin and Sharon and they were the pits...read my earlier comments. Generally 6 on 2 off (on pay) then after about 14 years I went foreign flag usually 8 on and 3 or 4 off depending on how the money lasted. Best feeders were SSM worst was a 500 ton reefer trading around the Pacific Islands. Well the food was good but it was what we caught from the sea or bought at local markets ourselves. The company just paid a huge amount of money and you looked after yourselves!!!

Nothing even approaches how much fun I had in eight years of trading up the Lakes with Boltons and other outfits....bliss!!!!

Ian J. Huckin
4th September 2012, 21:56
Just mentioned this to a mate of mine who joined 'Lin' on her maiden tip out of Sunderland. He was a Steward on her, Dave Lisle, he said the food & accommodation was very reasonable.

I remember Dave, I was 2/eng on that voyage....bloody rattle trap ship.....

Pat McCardle
5th September 2012, 07:14
I'll mention you to him when I next see him....he's off angling in Norway.

Ian J. Huckin
5th September 2012, 15:32
I'll mention you to him when I next see him....he's off angling in Norway.

As long as he does not remember the aweful mischief me and Richie Avenin (Mate) got into up in Duluth (*))

darren23
7th November 2013, 05:45
yea they were ugly and cheap but i did have some great times on them and sailed with some terrific people
we had a few weeks in nagasaki repairing some of the defects on the lin after getting caught in a storm whilst taking grain from new orleans to china kinda ironic another british built ship was there at the same time also getting emergency repairs

nomad I was on this ship at this time was my first trip to sea don't know if you remember my name was findus

nomad
11th November 2013, 00:56
remember you? I was the one that gave you that name lol I sent you a private message

WillyJamesMc
14th July 2014, 17:21
Gordon Walker & Billy McGee aka the "Connah's Quay Nomads" Nosira Lin 1982. Cant remember where we were at the time possibly after leaving Santos. The photo is dated as being developed September 1982, which I think I had developed when we were in Malaysia.

WillyJamesMc
14th July 2014, 17:27
Nosira Lin somewhere in Japan 1982, before leaving for the infamous crossing to Vancouver and the incidents that followed.

nomad
20th July 2014, 15:21
Nosira Lin somewhere in Japan 1982, before leaving for the infamous crossing to Vancouver and the incidents that followed.

From left to right you have Billy Magee Tommy Larkin Kevin Smith Paul Richardson and Sockeye I just remember his last name was salmon this photo was probably taken in Osaka we also went to Nagoya and Funabashi (Tokyo) then light ship to Vancouver

Philip Pick
6th August 2014, 09:05
As long as he does not remember the aweful mischief me and Richie Avenin (Mate) got into up in Duluth (*))

He made Mate? Bl**dy Hell! i remember him and Mrs when he sailed 2nd mate (Reynolds?)
You and he in Duluth? Oh dear - has Duluth recovered?

:-)