Troopship Records

Ron Stringer
18th October 2011, 11:05
I am aware that troopship crew agreements etc., are archived and available but what about their "passengers", i.e. the troops, that were carried during WW2? Are there similar listings of their names/regiments etc., and are they also on line?

My father went out to India on the "Dominion Monarch" with the Cheshire Regiment in 1942/43 and I was wondering if I could locate him as listed aboard. Not terribly significant but just a little more information/documentation to add to the family tree.

Does anyone know?

John Callon
18th October 2011, 11:49
Hi Ron,

I worked on the troopship Devonshire for two years and I would say yes, names and ranks of troops carried would be listed. All the administration regarding the military was carried out by the Orderley Room Staff (whome were in the services themselves), so I would think a starting point would be to contact the MOD and maybe they could point you in the right direction. Good luck.
Regards,
John

Roger Griffiths
18th October 2011, 15:03
I am aware that troopship crew agreements etc., are archived and available but what about their "passengers", i.e. the troops, that were carried during WW2? Are there similar listings of their names/regiments etc., and are they also on line?

My father went out to India on the "Dominion Monarch" with the Cheshire Regiment in 1942/43 and I was wondering if I could locate him as listed aboard. Not terribly significant but just a little more information/documentation to add to the family tree.

Does anyone know?

Simple answer to the first part of your question. No. You may be able to find Regimental war diaries but in my experience they refered to troopships that conveyed them in code. What Battalion?

DOMINION MONARCH made one voyage to Bombay in 1943 arriving

16/3/1943 sailed 27/3/1943 convoy WS26/WS26B

Roger

Ron Stringer
18th October 2011, 15:31
Roger and John,

Many thanks for that information.

He was with the 7th Cheshires, allegedly one of the most travelled Army units in the War. For some reason they travelled back from India overland, via the Caucusas to Basra prior to joining the invasion of Italy.

However I am trying to get his army record from the MoD archives in Glasgow, which may (or may not - you have to pay for the search in advance but they give no guarantee that they will be able to find the record) throw more light on the matter. My brother is following that up via the Cheshire Regiment museum in Chester. I just had the idea that I might be able to short-cut some of the delays involved in dealing with the MoD by getting something from the ship angle, since I remember him talking about going to India on the DM.

Roger Griffiths
18th October 2011, 16:08
If your brother draws a blank with the Cheshire Regiment Musuem
There is a War Diary here.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATID=1526854&CATLN=6&Highlight=%2C7%2CCHESHIRE&accessmethod=0&j=1

Roger