Marine art:QUEEN MARY/QUEEN MARY II

Fairfield
25th June 2004, 21:35
Alasdair MacFarlane was a marine artist whose scraperboard drawings of Clyde built ships appeared in the local evening paper during the 1950s.
This is a scan of one of his drawings,the Clyde steamer,and the original QUEEN MARY built in 1933 and renamed QUEEN MARY II to accommodate the Cunarder.
Both are still with us-the Cunarder of course at Long Beach and the Clyde steamer now a restaurant in London.

georgem
28th July 2004, 22:32
Hi Fairfield,
Many a time we went on the QMII "doon the watter" from the Broomielaw to Rothesay. Other names I remember are the "Jeannie Deans" paddle wheeler and of course the perennial "Waverley". :thumb:

Fairfield
29th July 2004, 18:49
Hi Fairfield,
Many a time we went on the QMII "doon the watter" from the Broomielaw to Rothesay. Other names I remember are the "Jeannie Deans" paddle wheeler and of course the perennial "Waverley". :thumb:

Likewise.We used to holiday alternately at either Rothesay or Dunoon and one trip going or coming home was on QM II.JEANIE DEANS was by far the better paddler,WAVERLEY in my opinion being a poor imitation.Having said that,glad everything that/s happened to her since 1973.Pity JEANIE/s fortunes were not better.Must dig out a pic.

oldbosun
30th July 2004, 00:22
Now that she's a restaurant in London did she have to give up the Name "Queen Mary 2" to accomodate the latest QM2 ?

Bob S
30th July 2004, 17:30
I believe that she reverted back to QUEEN MARY when she became a restaurant ship. Certainly the "2" was missing back in '94 when the attached photo was taken.

Fairfield
30th July 2004, 18:58
I believe that she reverted back to QUEEN MARY when she became a restaurant ship. Certainly the "2" was missing back in '94 when the attached photo was taken.
She actually went back to QM in 1977 but seems to have gained an Arabic 2 not Roman II for London.

cboots
29th November 2004, 13:29
Can anyone imagine the ultimate insult that the new "pride of the British merchant navy" is built in France!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Heavens, Nelson must be turning in his grave.
Cboots

CHRIS LITTLEHALES
18th February 2005, 02:12
Pride Of The British Merchant Navy Built In France
What,s Nelson Going To Say When Royal Navy Builds Two Air Craft Carriers In France
Chris Littlehales

CHRIS LITTLEHALES
18th February 2005, 02:42
Queen Mary 11 Might Fly The Red Duster But She American Owned
& The Captain Is British But There Wont Be To Many More Brits There

Doug Rogers
18th February 2005, 02:47
Lets not count our chickens as yet on that, last I heard the modified designs had not been fully approved nor had the finance. No doubt by the time it all goes through (or if) and they get built they will be obsolete!!.