Donga

Fairfield
25th June 2004, 20:44
Not exactly an Elder Dempster ship,but in later years,ships of the Henderson Line operated a joint service to West Africa.
This is Henderson/s DONGA,built in 1960 taken in Glasgow in 1979 towards the end of the general cargo era.Across from her is MATANGI ex PORT ST LAWRENCE.

Ian
26th June 2004, 10:18
Great contributions to the site Fairfield.................
My old professor at the Watt School used to go on and on about his time with Paddy Henderson. I think he spent a number of years as R/O on the Kentung/MMJK.
You must have quite the collection.
Keep 'em coming. I am using the CALEDONIA on my site. She looks so forlorn just before being scrapped.
Regards from Montreal :thumb: ,
Ian
(Admin).

Cairo
11th June 2011, 16:11
I recall in '78 cadet intake the Donga being the base for the females, I was on the Deido on the same run in WA ony a week apart. Caz Shaw and April Locke ring a bell - odd I can't remeber what the guys were called. It was all very above board by the way - just in case any false impressions were raised.

the_vietnam_bear
19th October 2011, 13:54
Not exactly an Elder Dempster ship,but in later years,ships of the Henderson Line operated a joint service to West Africa.
This is Henderson/s DONGA,built in 1960 taken in Glasgow in 1979 towards the end of the general cargo era.Across from her is MATANGI ex PORT ST LAWRENCE.

Launched 1960: mv DONGA

mv DONGA
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
built by Lithgows Port Glasgow,
Yard No 1133
Engines by J G Kincaid & Co Ltd Greenock
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last Name: LYDRA 1983
Previous Names: Diamant Merchant 1981
Port of Registry: Limassol
Propulsion: B&W oil engine 2SCSA 4cy 5850bhp 14 knots
Launched: Tuesday, 12/04/1960
Built: 1960
Ship Type: Cargo Vessel
Tonnage: 6559 grt
Length: 465 feet
Breadth: 63 feet 1
Draught: 26 feet 3
Owner History:
British & Burmese Steam Navigation Company Glasgow

Remarks: Arrived Alang on above date for scrapping.

Is this the Donga you are referring to

makko
19th October 2011, 15:24
Our Cadet intake went on her in Liverpool, about mid 1980 (1st. year) in the company of our Super, Iain Dalgleish.
Rgds.
Dave

TIM HUDSON
19th October 2011, 16:43
Was aboard her off Lagos in 1978 using Common Bros 'Note on Owners' to buy as much food (and beer !!) as possible for the mini bulker on which I was serving - 4 months off Lagos awaiting a berth with full cargo sugar. Very friendly and generous crew on Donga if I remember correctly. !

andyh
20th May 2012, 00:13
My first ship, very happy memories.........first port of call Banjul [1979) very exotic for a teenager from Chesterfield!!! Captain F M Howe

R58484956
20th May 2012, 14:17
Greetings Andyh and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

SuperClive
1st August 2012, 20:14
My last ever ship... Absolutely filthy galley. Joined her to coast as Extra 2/E in Tilbury whilst waiting for my deep sea ship (Cardigan Bay) to get back in port. I was invalided home 3 days after joining - as were several other crew members. 'Something' of W African origin in the water was the verdict. I was off work for 3 months and India Buildings wouldn't let me back to sea unless I could prove 100% fit - which I couldn't, so jumped ashore...

Unfortunately, very bad memories of this ship.

Torrance
28th March 2013, 23:37
I was 3rd Mate on the Donga in 1975 on the West African run, and we had two female cadets at the time, only one I remeber was Wendy Starawaski I think speeling probably wrong.

Torrance
28th March 2013, 23:43
Captain Richardson from Cory's and then Captain Alan Railton, Happy days did almost 4 months, so it couldn't have been that bad, I had just arrived from Cory Maritime, via the Hector and Ajax, (they thought we were bulker men), so this was my first Cargo ship. Then on to the Antilochus, now that was old!!

Graham the pipe
25th August 2013, 08:26
Interesting to read the 'contrasting' opinions of her as a vessel. She was my first ship as a certificated 3/0 after second mate's in '61. Don't have my discharge book to hand but did numerous voyages as 2/0 on her through to '66. Sadly many of my compatriots from those days have crossed the bar, Captain Johnny Morris and C/O Stan Garside to name but two.

However, I'm sure Chief Engineer Dick Johnston - who I know is still with us - will confirm our Montreal parties became a thing of local legend. All memories of her, to me, are happy ones and the farewell party thrown for me when I transferred from her, in Sapele, to the 'Degema', in Lagos, is an occasion I will never, ever, forget. I still have the pipe stand, presented by the engineers and the 'compendium', presented by Johnny, on behalf of 'all others'.

eldersuk
26th August 2013, 00:04
Graham,

I can't imagine what sort of a stand Dick Johnston and his squad would present you with. It wasn't by any chance a 'long stand'?

Derek

Graham the pipe
26th August 2013, 07:35
Derek,

Maybe it was but I didn't have time for a 'long weight' so boarded my canoe at the timber wharf {we were alongside} for the creek crossing to pick up the Landrover which was driving me - and all my worldly possessions - to Benin Airport {a jungle clearing} for my flight to Lagos. (Could write a book on that VERY eventful journey!}

Don't forget to ask Dick about my 'early hours of the morning' trip over to the - I think - Empress of Canada - which was berthed opposite us on Jacques Cartier. Persuaded the Canadian, female guests at a party taking place on her, that the one we were about to 'start', on 'the ship over there', would be 'far more fun'. That was the beginning of a SIX WEEK party as it coincided - very conveniently - with a dock strike. Happy days - and nights!

WilliamH
26th August 2013, 09:42
My first ship, very happy memories.........first port of call Banjul [1979) very exotic for a teenager from Chesterfield!!! Captain F M Howe

I sailed with Mike Howe on the Dumbia in 1969, a great guy to sail with, he thought us engineers were wonderful, but that was only in to comparison to the to the 2nd mate, radio officer, and to lesser extent the 3rd mate, who were real rebels, it made for a very happy ship.