Cape Howe

Jeffers
8th January 2006, 10:52
I've been trying to find a picture of my first ship, the "Cape Howe". She was an iron ore carrier that I joined in 1968. She was registered in Glasgow, but I don't remember the company. I did six months on her and I remember she used to roll a bit, a common feature of iron ore ships!
I'd be grateful for any info, thanks.

P.S. I've looked on Shipspotting.com, they have a "Cape Howe", but it's a different ship.

P.P.S. I have found one thread on these forums that mention her, but it's only got a small thumbnail pic attached.

Gulpers
8th January 2006, 12:27
Jeffers,

There is an excellent website for Scottish Ship Management and the following has been extracted from it;

Cape Howe

November 1962: Completed by Lithgows, Port Glasgow for Lyle Shipping Co Ltd, Glasgow. Time chartered to British Iron & Steel Co. Ltd. (BISCO) for 15 years.

Scottish Ship Management Limited was formed in 1968 as a result of the merger of the shipping staff of H. Hogarth & Sons and Lyle Shipping Co. Unfortunately, in 1986, as part of the demise of the British Merchant Navy, the company ceased to exist.

Follow this link to the Cape Howe page and enjoy! (Thumb)

http://www.scottishshipmanagement.com/howe.html

Jeffers
8th January 2006, 16:13
Great Stuff Gulpers, you've come up trumps again! Ta very much.

Gulpers
8th January 2006, 17:35
Jeffers,

You are most welcome.
As I've said before to others, we are all here to help each other! (Thumb)

airds
8th January 2006, 18:39
I've been trying to find a picture of my first ship, the "Cape Howe". She was an iron ore carrier that I joined in 1968.

Cape Howe details at Clyde Built database (http://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuilt/viewship.asp?id=18460)

ps send me a message with your email address - found a large pic of her.

muldonaich
8th January 2006, 20:12
hi i was on cape howe in the early sixties go to merchant navy looking for old friends there is a photo of her there she was a good ship smith was old man red man was mate regards kev.

ron fletcher
15th March 2008, 00:04
Jeffers could it be that we were on the Cape Howe at the same time
I joined her at South Shields on 31 July 1968 and sailed for Monrovia.The only name I recall was Peter Findlay the Ass Stwd
. He was an old queen and liked to be called Dalores,but was a great bloke and showed me the ropes in those first scarey weeks.Would like to hear from you.

trotterdotpom
15th March 2008, 09:19
Jeff, if you PM me your email address, I can send you an amusing account of the Cape Howe which was published in Sea Breezes a couple of years ago.

John T.

Galley Boy
15th March 2008, 23:03
Jeff,--did two trips on the Cape Howe from Tyne Dock Ore Quay to Canada
(Seven Islands?)-Glasgow--Canada--Newport in the mid sixties,most of the crowd came from South or North Shields.Three photos of her on this site
www.photoship.co.uk
Regards Cliff

eddy260
19th May 2008, 22:09
done 6 months back and fore canada bosuns name was billy