Krusenstern or Kruzenshtern?

Shipbuilder
9th November 2011, 11:57
Am trying to find the correct spelling for the name of this well-known sail training ship. Google is no help at all as both spellings are quite common.
Bob

sparkie2182
9th November 2011, 12:01
I understand the latter to be a direct transliteration.

trotterdotpom
9th November 2011, 12:27
How about Крузенштерн ?

John T

Shipbuilder
9th November 2011, 12:54
Thanks for replies,

I now have three spellings(==D)
The first one sounds too English and if I used Крузенштерн, it may confuse my readers, so I will go for
Kruzenshtern
I am tidying up the loose ends on a book that I have finally completed and the Kruzenshtern is only mentioned in a minor way as the present name of the nitrate ship Padua.

All being well, it will be ready for the printers next week. Insufficient patience to try and find a real publisher, as the last one took years, first to get it accepted and then a further two years to publication!

I am going down the "despised" path of Vanity Publishing(LOL)

Thanks for the help.

Bob

walkonthewildside
10th November 2011, 21:26
It is actually the Russian Spelling that is on the Bow of her. Beautiful Ship. But as for the spelling you used I think that would also be correct. Good luck with your book by the way. Hope it goes well for you.

Andrey Nelogov
10th November 2011, 21:37
Good evening,

Adam Johann von Krusenstern; 8.11.1770 — 12.08.1846 Russian Admiral of German origin

Sincerely Yours,
Andrey

werner_ju
13th November 2011, 01:09
Bob:

The Kruzenshtern is named for Johann Adam Ritter von Krusenstern, a Baltic German born 1770 in Estonia. Estonia was part of the Russian empire, von Krusenstern served in the Russian navy.

The transliteration from Cyrillic to Latin characters varies according to the language it is done. The spelling Kruzenshtern is the transliteration in use on board the vessel. From my point of view this is the official spelling of the ship’s name in Latin characters which also is commonly used in Germany. You are doing it right using Kruzenshtern in your publication.

BTW, the Kruzenshtern is no sistership to any other sailing vessel past or present.

Regards,
Werner

Shipbuilder
13th November 2011, 07:54
Thanks Werner,
I had often wondered where the name originated. I know there is no sister ship to the vessel, but mentioned her merely because she was originally the Padua of the Flying P Line that I covered briefly when talking about Preussen and Pampa.
Bob

werner_ju
14th November 2011, 00:05
Bob,

These are great little ships – excellent work !!

If I ever get the time I’ll build the Passat, Preussen and Kruzenshtern from paper kits in 1:250. These kits are already on my shelf for years.

With the naming of the 4m-barque Kruzenshtern, von Krusenstern is honoured for leading the first Russian circumnavigation, exploring Alaskan waters (than a Russian colony), the Aleuts, Kurils, east coast of Kamchatka and other island as well as shipping routes to Japan. After his return to St. Petersburg he was appointed Admiral and head of the Sea Cadet Corps as well as honorable member of the Academie of Science in St. Petersburg. In 1841 he was appointed Generaladmiral. Bearing his name is quite an honour for the ship.

Best regards,
Werner