Cavallo

Fairfield
28th June 2004, 14:32
Large ro-ro for Ellerman/s Wilson Line built at Middlesbrough and photographed on the Clyde at Port Glasgow getting work done to correct stability-too much of it evidently!!

fazak
20th October 2006, 21:17
Hi,
I did five trips on MV Cavallo but not the one pictured she must be a more recent vessel as I beleive the on I sailed on was eventually scrapped. I sailed on the Cavallo from May 1968 until December 1968 completing five trips to the Med and back each time signing off and on at West india docks in London. At the time I was a deck boy, there were two of us and we had to do week about as peggy keeping the mess clean and fetching the meals from the galley and washing up. Those were the days.
Roy

steve d
19th December 2006, 21:39
Hi MV Cavello was built in Smith dock middlesborough about 1978 she was sistr ship to the MV Cicero also built in Smith dock, As you rightly point out she was unstable as was the Cicero, The large obolong structure forward of the funnels is the modification and was known as a Flume tank. The suposed idea of this tank was it had a series of baffles inside and was filled with water and as the ship rolled the water was always at the high point of the roll and would stop or dampen to the roll ( it didnt work this ship would have rolled in a drydock) I beleive the Cavallo never actually came into service with Ellermans and the cicero was disposed of to a Brazillian company by around 1981.

Locking Splice
20th December 2006, 09:51
Hi All,

Remember the Old Cavallo used to come into the Granville Docks at Dover during the late 60's early Seventies, nice looking little cargo Ship. Am sure either new Cavallo or Cicero foundered in the North Sea during 1970's. Not sure which one.

Berst Regards

Locking Splice

steve d
20th December 2006, 11:49
Ship which foundered in north sea was the Hero sometime in late 1977.
I had the " pleasure" of being in the north sea that day and it was the scariest time i ever had at sea.

Warder54
17th September 2011, 10:54
Hi, I joined the old Cavallo in East India Graving dock, worked by while work was carried out, signed on and had 2 happy trips round the Med. Managed to grab a day at home when we docked at Dover. It was a happy ship carrying a few passengers as well as cargo (Watneys beer to Beirut and Oranges from Cyprus to home if I remember right!)
Fond memories, wish I had a pic or 2

Mike Elliott

bondyboy63
28th September 2011, 10:26
Hi, I joined the old Cavallo in East India Graving dock, worked by while work was carried out, signed on and had 2 happy trips round the Med. Managed to grab a day at home when we docked at Dover. It was a happy ship carrying a few passengers as well as cargo (Watneys beer to Beirut and Oranges from Cyprus to home if I remember right!)
Fond memories, wish I had a pic or 2

Mike Elliott

Hi Mike
I did 6 trips on the Cavallo during 1957, a very happy ship with a great Captain Fred Briggs. Mostly to the Mediterannean but a couple of trips to Scandanavia. It was my first ship and I was the galley boy.
I have attached a photo of the Cavallo, hope it uploaded OK.
Regards
Chris Bond

Warder54
28th September 2011, 19:21
Many thanks Chris, now I have pics of both ships I sailed on. (MV La Estancia was the 1st)

paul rennison
4th October 2011, 13:10
Hi Mike
I did 6 trips on the Cavallo during 1957, a very happy ship with a great Captain Fred Briggs. Mostly to the Mediterannean but a couple of trips to Scandanavia. It was my first ship and I was the galley boy.
I have attached a photo of the Cavallo, hope it uploaded OK.
Regards
Chris Bond

Hi Chris I never sailed on Cavallo but had many good times on Wilsons Line MV Spero with Capt Fred Briggs in the late 60's, he was as you say, a brilliant old man, he used to like to being invited down to the Pig n Whistle on her for a pint (double diamond on draught 2/- pint!) and a game of darts, not an easy game given the bar's location on her and the vagaries of N. Sea crossings.
Cheers & happy days,

Paul
(Pint)

bondyboy63
4th October 2011, 16:22
Hi Chris I never sailed on Cavallo but had many good times on Wilsons Line MV Spero with Capt Fred Briggs in the late 60's, he was as you say, a brilliant old man, he used to like to being invited down to the Pig n Whistle on her for a pint (double diamond on draught 2/- pint!) and a game of darts, not an easy game given the bar's location on her and the vagaries of N. Sea crossings.
Cheers & happy days,

Paul
(Pint)

Hi Paul. we used to have Hull Brewery Export on the Cavallo but I can't remember the price of it, I do remember though that cigarettes were 9 shillings a carton (1957).
Fred Briggs allowed the crew one Christmas to buy a bottle of booze each to take home off the ship, the next morning most of the deck crew were drunk and fighting on the deck in front of passengers, Fred Briggs said he would never do that again.
Cheers
Chris

guinnessmick
14th October 2011, 16:19
i sailed on the cavallo as galley boy in 1961 a good ship all round i believe the new cavallo is still sailing belongs to the canadians now