Queen Elizabeth

R58484956
9th January 2006, 11:36
Today 9th January in the year 1972 the Queen Elizabeth "caught fire" and was burnt out in HK harbour, a very sad day for a magnificent ship.

non descript
9th January 2006, 11:40
Yes, absolutely and I liked your use of Quotation Marks...........

Tonga

Marcus Cardew
9th January 2006, 19:28
Ah Well!
There is a little bit of her still surviving. I have an 'aluminium & perspex' main deck 'you are here' sign, (from her last stop at pier 92).. maybe I should scan it in...

rmsqe1
10th January 2006, 01:28
Ah Well!
There is a little bit of her still surviving. I have an 'aluminium & perspex' main deck 'you are here' sign, (from her last stop at pier 92).. maybe I should scan it in...
Marcus, I would love to see a picture of this sign , is this possible? I am the curator of the RMS QE Historical Society and have a very large collection of the ship including a full set(24 sheets) of hand drawn Documentary Drawings of EVERY PART OF THE SHIP! (lines, shell plating, sheer profiles, full working deck plans etc.)

R58484956
10th January 2006, 12:27
A warm welcome rmsqe1, I served as an engineer on QE1 for many years, she was a pleasure to work on and the pay was good, never had a major breakdown or come to think of it a small one either,once had a hot bearing in the tunnel, but a hose pipe played on it kept it cool enough to keep going. Lost the vacuum once or twice but nothing serious. She was one of the greatest ships to ever sail the oceans.A happy new year to you.

rmsqe1
12th January 2006, 00:42
Thank you so much for your welcome R58484956 !!
If ever you feel like talking privately about your time and the work you did on the Lizzie - truly the worlds greatest ship- then I would love to hear from you as I am doing research for a future book on her. God bless, Ringo Varisco. Curator, RMS QUEEN ELIZABETH HISTORICAL SOCIETY

Andrew Fisher
17th January 2006, 23:50
Thank you so much for your welcome R58484956 !!
If ever you feel like talking privately about your time and the work you did on the Lizzie - truly the worlds greatest ship- then I would love to hear from you as I am doing research for a future book on her. God bless, Ringo Varisco. Curator, RMS QUEEN ELIZABETH HISTORICAL SOCIETY

Delighted to hear that you are writing a book on this stunningly beautiful and supremely well engineered ship, put me down for an advance copy!!!!!!!

davidcalgary
18th January 2006, 05:12
I have recently been talking to someone who served on the QE during the war. How could he get in touch with you?

billmaca
18th January 2006, 14:18
I did a couple of trips on the QE in 1960 then trasfered to the Mary when she went into the drydock I worked in No 2 boiler room as a fireman the 3'rd on the watch was a very flambouant type he used to come into the boiler room with a spotless uniform jacket slung filmstar style over his shoulders and a white silk scarf student style round his neck

R58484956
18th January 2006, 14:21
On the QE(1) we engineers were normal, none of that flamboyant stuff.

Frank Holleran
18th January 2006, 19:41
No disrespect to anyone...one of the engineers on the old Lizzie (mid sixties) was a shortish blond haired guy (shirt lifter) very flambouyant, didn't get on to well with old Jack Humphreys who was the Donkeyman, leader of the dayworking firemen (hard old bugger). Saw him drop three ABs in the working alley-way one day.
Regards
Frank.

billmaca
18th January 2006, 22:55
that was our 3rd ok

Frank Holleran
19th January 2006, 00:18
Some of the dayworkers were painting out the engineers locker room, and he mentioned, that he was getting out in Southhampton to join some millionares yacht in the Meddie....think it would have suited his life style. (Each to his own)

R58484956
19th January 2006, 12:26
Jack Humphries leading hand on a watch, as you say a big fellow, but also a very nice chap other names Kapper chief storekeeper, Jim Bird from Liverpool, H Dawkins both stores, Wally Pinchin LH and Jim Old LH. All good men wonder where they are today ?.

Frank Holleran
19th January 2006, 20:11
My one and only Passenger job..on the beach in Southhampton, so gave the Old Lady a go..Jack was a decent guy, had an offsider, with him, a Ginger haired welsh guy, him and Jack used to run the dayworkers between them... Did a bit of time dayworking, and in one of the Gennie rooms (Greaser) had a Aussie Engineer?..Good memories though, Market Diner, and the dances' round at Seamans mission.
Regards
Frank

rmsqe1
30th January 2006, 20:54
I have recently been talking to someone who served on the QE during the war. How could he get in touch with you?
Thanks so much David, he can get in touch with me at Ringo Varisco, RMS Queen Elizabeth Historical Society, Muenchener Str. 137, 86633, Neuburg Donau, Germany or at email rvarisco10516391@aol.com
Would love to hear what stories he has to tell. best wishes Ringo.

helen
3rd June 2006, 00:59
When did you sail on QE? My dad Radio Officer 4 years late 40s.
Helen

Jeff Taylor
18th October 2006, 15:50
I sailed on QE on a westbound transatlantic in 1968, and through an acquaintance with Cunard contacts got a letter of introduction to Commodore Marr. He was kind enough to give me a top to bottom tour including letting me hold the helm for a brief time and having the staff captain show me the working alleyway and one of the engine rooms. Quite a thrill.

rstimaru
19th October 2006, 16:52
I was on the QE in 1962/1964 in the Hospital. She was a good ship but not as frendly as the Mary. I still have the cuttinging and pictures of her on fire and ultimate demise in my shipping collection Bob

neil maclachlan
19th October 2006, 17:22
Hi Former seafarers,
I am one of the old school who admired the design of ships of the 30s ,40s & 50s. In those day's they all had a proper nautical appearance,looked the way ships should look. I have been collecting 12O0 scale models for the past 14 years, my son buys them for me for birthdays and at xmas ( THESE ARE MY TOY'S) My favourites being the ,Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mary,QE 2, P S Waverley and The Royal Yacht Britannia. The Queen Elizabeth is by far one of the nicest ships that sailed the oceans, and it was a sad day when she caught fire in Hong Kong and became a total loss. Thank God for America, at least they had the sense to keep the Queen Mary alive and usefull.
Neil Maclachlan.

Trader
20th October 2006, 16:07
Here are 3 photos that I took of the "Lizzie" in Southampton in 1955.

Thought that they might be of interest to someone.

A fine looking vessel. They don't build them like that any more.

Trader.

R58484956
20th October 2006, 16:21
Many thanks trader for showing photos of my old "home",she was a pleasure to sail on.

Kaskazi
25th March 2007, 15:59
I entered New York on the QE in early September, 1960. As a student, I was of course travelling cheapest - note the security gate to keep the steerage rabble from contaminating the superior classes!

R58484956
25th March 2007, 16:41
Security gate known to us as the hurdling gate, when one was eyeing the passengers who were always the other side of the gate, one would hurdle over the gate to get amongst them. One had to work fast as the trip only lasted 4/5 day and we felt it our duty to show the ladies British hospitality.

Syd young
25th March 2007, 16:52
Hi Former seafarers,
I am one of the old school who admired the design of ships of the 30s ,40s & 50s. In those day's they all had a proper nautical appearance,looked the way ships should look. I have been collecting 12O0 scale models for the past 14 years, my son buys them for me for birthdays and at xmas ( THESE ARE MY TOY'S) My favourites being the ,Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mary,QE 2, P S Waverley and The Royal Yacht Britannia. The Queen Elizabeth is by far one of the nicest ships that sailed the oceans, and it was a sad day when she caught fire in Hong Kong and became a total loss. Thank God for America, at least they had the sense to keep the Queen Mary alive and usefull.
Neil Maclachlan.

I keep trying to get triang minic ships from ebay but nearly always get outbid,is that you??
I have QM1,QE1,Aquatania,Titanic,Caronia,Neuw Amsterdam,United States Britania Hospital ship,Glouscester Castle,Canberra and the Saxonia and Iveria.Cant get near most Union Castle ones as they seem to go for crazy money(EEK)

Kaskazi
25th March 2007, 17:48
"one would hurdle over the gate to get amongst them" sounds very predatory doesn't it.
So that's what that gate was for! How considerate of Cunard - and I notice they added a couple of feet to it after you were there. Quite right too, 'cos there was no way us poor sods could compete with those smart uniforms you guys ran around in!

shaniac
9th May 2009, 09:06
Jack Humphries leading hand on a watch, as you say a big fellow, but also a very nice chap other names Kapper chief storekeeper, Jim Bird from Liverpool, H Dawkins both stores, Wally Pinchin LH and Jim Old LH. All good men wonder where they are today ?.

Hi there

I'm doing some research on behalf of my Mum who is Jim Bird's daughter. Did you know him? Unfortunately he died in the 60's. We are off to New York in June and were hoping to go to the Market Diner to see if there are any photos of him, do you know if the place still exists? Do you have any photos of him?
Would love to hear from you
Regards

SoniaNoton
14th November 2009, 23:26
My dad, Peter Noton worked on the Queen Elizabeth in the 60's. He's not computer savvy so i thought i'd come here on his behalf!
He remembers some of the names mentioned in this thread.
Dont know if anyone remembers him? He started as a greaser and worked up to engineer (i think, will have to double check with him)
He was a big Sinatra fan and says people will remember him for 'always singing'!

Bobgayton
17th May 2014, 18:12
No disrespect to anyone...one of the engineers on the old Lizzie (mid sixties) was a shortish blond haired guy (shirt lifter) very flambouyant, didn't get on to well with old Jack Humphreys who was the Donkeyman, leader of the dayworking firemen (hard old bugger). Saw him drop three ABs in the working alley-way one day.
Regards
Frank.

Hi
I remember Jack Humphreys well. A big bruiser of a man.
The Queen Elizabeth was my first ship, I joined her after the strike in 1966 as a fireman. I did quite a few trips to New York and a Medi cruise and Caribbean cruise on her.
I finished up as steering gear greaser so had a fifth of a mile hike to work each watch as we lived in the focs'l head. The working alleyway was a real culture shock with bookies, hawkers, sandwich sellers, craps games and all kinds of cherished jobs which must have been passed from father to son.
Happy days.

ben27
18th May 2014, 00:29
good day trader,sm,21st october,2006,01:07.re:queen elizabeth.#21,i have been looking at old post's.and found your very good photo's of the queen elizabeth,its good that you have these,a reminder of when they built great liners,thanks for posting regards ben27