Is he still with us

Kenny MacRitchie
20th November 2011, 12:25
Hi all you J&J men was wondering if anyone can remember Mr Hamilton {his 1st name slips me} who was personnel manager in the office at 120 St Vincent St when i was with the company 69-72. Met him first when it was him that signed me on the Glasgow Pool Oct 64 could anyone tell me is he still with us. Kenny

John Cassels
20th November 2011, 19:57
Think you are mean Gordon Hamilton.

Spoke to him about 10 years ago when he was then working for Clyde Marine
( Davie Livingston's outfit ) also in the personnel dept.

Nice guy , actually a bit to nice for a personnel dept.

Angus Murray
23rd November 2011, 17:25
John
I could be wrong, but Kenny might be thinking of John Hamilton who was in Personnel at 120 St Vincent St for many years. I am sure that he was later Persnnel Manager for Ocean Inchcape. I can not recall a Gordon Hamilton, so must have been after i left.

Think you are mean Gordon Hamilton.

Spoke to him about 10 years ago when he was then working for Clyde Marine
( Davie Livingston's outfit ) also in the personnel dept.

Nice guy , actually a bit to nice for a personnel dept.

DCMARINE
24th November 2011, 12:45
John
I could be wrong, but Kenny might be thinking of John Hamilton who was in Personnel at 120 St Vincent St for many years. I am sure that he was later Persnnel Manager for Ocean Inchcape. I can not recall a Gordon Hamilton, so must have been after i left.
Yes Angus - John Hamilton was in Personnel as you say. He was Personnel Manager with OIL in Dundee when I was with them in 1977/78.
Gordon Hamilton rings no bells.
Donald

John Cassels
24th November 2011, 19:40
Gordon Hamilton was a trainee in personnel , joined a couple of years before
I left in '81.
Used to sit next to Helen Barr ( lucky guy ) and used to pull up a chair and
join the interview- as trainee of course .

Kenny MacRitchie
27th November 2011, 13:46
John
[QUOTE=Kenny MacRitchie] Angus
Yes it was John Hamilton i now recall the name he signed me on the Glasgow Pool in 1964 while he worked there it was a surprise when i met him again in J&Js office years later he picked up his own hand writing in my Discharge Book right away

oldman 80
8th September 2012, 13:13
[QUOTE=Kenny MacRitchie] Angus
Yes it was John Hamilton i now recall the name he signed me on the Glasgow Pool in 1964 while he worked there it was a surprise when i met him again in J&Js office years later he picked up his own hand writing in my Discharge Book right away

Yes John Hamilton - 120 St Vincent Street, one hell of a decent bloke I seem to recall. He signed me up for Denholms in 1972, and packed me off to Gothenburg to stand by the new buildings for Seateam.
A couple of years (about) later I bumped into in Dundee quite by accident. He recognised me immediately and we headed for some place for a coffee and a yarn.
He told me he was then with OIL as personnel officer, and wanted to know how things were going with Denholm. I had just completed my first voyage as C/O at that time and was a bit disillusioned with the OBO I had done that 1st trip as C/O on (Eden Bridge).
As I was on leave at the time, John asked if I'd like to do a brief familiarisation trip on one of the OIL boats out of Dundee, just to see if I liked it. (Supernumary - no remuneration)
I jumped at the opportunity and a few days later was on my way up to the North of the Shetlands on the Oil Harrier .
The weather turned foul, and I mean foul, and we eventually had to to run for shelter in the Shetlands. Hell it was bad, galley shut down - only sandwiches available and how those wheelhouse windows survived those seas smashing into them escaped me. The cargo was saved - more by good fortune than anything else - well the lashings all held but only just.
Clearly those ships were going to be hell in the winter months so I just stayed with Denholm after all.
Good bunch of guys on board - I seem to remember.
I was greatfull to John for at least giving me the opportunity to go out with them and see what it was all about.
I also became aware that those guys who worked for oil thought a great deal of their employers, never a bad word said about them. You can be sure John H. must have played a major part in that scenario.
I sure hope he's still around, and remains in good health.

James_C
8th September 2012, 14:04
Gordon Hamilton was a trainee in personnel , joined a couple of years before
I left in '81.
Used to sit next to Helen Barr ( lucky guy ) and used to pull up a chair and
join the interview- as trainee of course .

John,
Was there not a Gordon Craig in the Denholms personnel office who also ended up in Clyde Marine?

Gulpers
8th September 2012, 19:30
John,
Was there not a Gordon Craig in the Denholms personnel office who also ended up in Clyde Marine?

There was a Gordon Craig. I'm sure I first met him in 1972 when he was working in Personnel whilst studying at Glasgow University.