civil servant strike

senior pilot
22nd November 2011, 13:23
have just read that the R F A have voted for industrial action along with the civil servants

George.GM
29th November 2011, 09:29
Can't quite see what the RFA have to strike about.
They are not affected by pension sub increases as the RFA pension
is non contrbutary. 40 years in you get half pay and pro rata. Plus
a lump sum. Not at all bad.
Anyway, most of them will either be at sea or shoved off to anchor so it does't really matter.

Anixtu
29th November 2011, 19:14
They are not affected by pension sub increases as the RFA pension
is non contrbutary. 40 years in you get half pay and pro rata. Plus
a lump sum. Not at all bad.

RFA employees are in one of the civil service pension schemes and have exactly the same motivations to strike as any other civil servant.

What the OP didn't mention is that not the entire RFA is striking, only the RMT segment. Nautilus members were not balloted.

LouisB
29th November 2011, 19:49
RFA employees are in one of the civil service pension schemes and have exactly the same motivations to strike as any other civil servant.

What the OP didn't mention is that not the entire RFA is striking, only the RMT segment. Nautilus members were not balloted.

Will that just apply to ratings and p.o's then. Most officer grades are Nautilus I believe.

LouisB

NoR
29th November 2011, 19:56
Who cares ?

Satanic Mechanic
29th November 2011, 20:01
Who cares ?

(Jester)

Ron Stringer
29th November 2011, 20:07
The government may be cutting the pensions (and at the same time increasing the contribution amount and retirement dates) of civil servants but don't worry lads, there is no danger that they will be doing the same for the pensions of MPs and business leaders. We may be all in this together, but they aren't.

Anixtu
29th November 2011, 20:11
Will that just apply to ratings and p.o's then. Most officer grades are Nautilus I believe.

Some ratings (including POs) will, I'm sure, be on strike, but it will be interesting to see what the turnout is, given the low turnout for the ballot. I wonder what proportion of ratings are union members these days. About 2/3rds?

Officers are represented by Nautilus so will not be participating in the strike, having not been balloted.

LouisB
29th November 2011, 21:32
Some ratings (including POs) will, I'm sure, be on strike, but it will be interesting to see what the turnout is, given the low turnout for the ballot. I wonder what proportion of ratings are union members these days. About 2/3rds?

Officers are represented by Nautilus so will not be participating in the strike, having not been balloted.

One easy way is to put the vessel to sea. I don't know about the ratings but I think the contracts of employment are possibly different regarding officers irrespective of Nautilus. The RFA is now a fully integrated part of the 'Fleet' these days so I wouldn't imagine any strike action that would affect movements or vessel requirements.

Interesting perspective however if there is disruption - I know that during the seamans strike wayback that crews of RFA's broke picket lines to rejoin their vessels. Eventually, and possibly to save face the NUS gave dispensation to RFA seafarers.

LouisB

Anixtu
29th November 2011, 23:35
One easy way is to put the vessel to sea.

I know that was done during the RMT strike in 2000, but I don't see the point for a 1-day strike.

I don't know about the ratings but I think the contracts of employment are possibly different regarding officers irrespective of Nautilus. The RFA is now a fully integrated part of the 'Fleet' these days so I wouldn't imagine any strike action that would affect movements or vessel requirements.

There's no contractual restriction on industrial action for either part of the RFA workforce, just the usual woolly stuff about when the NDA applies.