Gowanbank

Fairfield
30th June 2004, 22:24
Taken on the Clyde in 1976 waiting to dock at Greenock with a sugar cargo.

tanker
1st July 2004, 15:43

Hi Fairfield
exellent series of sisters british bult in 1964 Hazelbank-Maplebank-Nairnbank
Rowabank- and Irisbank .
GOWANBANK was broken up under greek flag KAVO GROSSOS
hello
GP

Fairfield
1st July 2004, 19:44
Thanks for the information on her scrappng.Did not know her fate.

tanker
8th October 2005, 16:20
Here is the shot of KAVO GROSSOS ex GOWANBANK seen in Genoa 1984.
Gp

Tmac1720
8th October 2005, 17:29
Gowanbank built by Harland and Wolff Belfast yard number 1674 Launched 1st December 1967 delivered 30th January 1968.

Sister Maplebank H&W Belfast yard number 1673 Launched 24th May 1967 delivered 15th August 1967 both 10365 tons for Andrew Weir & Co.

The other three close sisters were:-
Nairnbank - H&W Belfast yard number 1665 Launched 6th May 1966 delivered 7th July 1966 10541 tons
Hazelbank - H&W Belfast yard number 1654 Launched 27th January 1964 delivered 20th May 1964 10507 tons
Irisbank - H&W Belfast yard number 1655 Launched 25th June 1964 delivered 9th September 1964 10526 tons

PJW
23rd November 2005, 21:29
I spent six and a half months on Gowanbank as senior apprentice in 1977. She was a good ship. We joined in Durban and paid off in Durban having sailed across the South Atlantic, through the Magellen straits, up the West coast of South America, Then went through Panama, loading in the US Gulf for New Zealand. Then up to Singapore and the Far East loadied for the East african coast and back to durban for pay off.
It was a regular Bank Line trip with lots of hard work and even harder play.
PJW.

Principe_Perfeito
4th May 2006, 13:20
Here is link to a photo at Riversea of the North Korean-flagged KANG DONG ( former IRISBANK ):
http://riversea.tugtalk.co.uk/memories/kangdong1964.htm

Best regards from Lisbon,
Paulo Mestre

soapy
7th May 2006, 23:25
sailed as 3/0 in 72-73 Capt.Ireland in command.these six sisters plus the "shirra" &
"teviot" from Doxford's yard where,for my money, the best looking ships bank line had.
the "gowan" being the last of the H&W series is possibly the last traditional midships
cargo vessel built in the british isles.

Duncan Mackay
27th January 2007, 14:30
I was senior apprentice on the maiden voyage of the Gowanbank along with Paul J Wilkinson from Torquay and David Elborn from Belfast. The master was Charlie Howe, Mate David Ward , 2/0 ? Sinclair, 3/0 Charlie Hill. This trip lasted 18 months and we signed of in Rotterdam . She was a happy ship and I enjoyed my time on her I would love to hear from any guys who served on that trip.
Duncan Mackay

xrm
27th January 2007, 15:20
I sailed with David Elborn when he was 2/O - can't remember the ship off hand. He was getting married when we paid off. Roger Vine was the 3/O - I was Senior Apprentice at the time. We were on the "copra run".

kwg
19th March 2007, 09:24
I was senior apprentice on the maiden voyage of the Gowanbank along with Paul J Wilkinson from Torquay and David Elborn from Belfast. The master was Charlie Howe, Mate David Ward , 2/0 ? Sinclair, 3/0 Charlie Hill. This trip lasted 18 months and we signed of in Rotterdam . She was a happy ship and I enjoyed my time on her I would love to hear from any guys who served on that trip.
Duncan Mackay

Capt. Howe...There's a name from the past, master of the Fleetbank in 1961 when I was Apprentice. He went head-first down the forward oil tank, narrowly missed the floor steam pipes, made a bit of a mess of himself but no broken bones.

Duncan Mackay
12th November 2008, 01:26
On the Gowanbank in late 1968 we sailed from Rangoon heading for Calcutta where the crew would be paying off. There was much excitement among the crew they had the Indian version of the channels.

Several days before arrival in Calcutta , on a Sunday morning the master Charlie Howe knocked on my door and said what are you doing Mr Mackay, I said nothing much, he then said come with me down to the crew accommodation aft and get the other two apprentices to collect several canvas sacks and join us.

We went down into the accommodation and into the first cabin where 4 men had their cases/trunks packed ready for the off. He instructed them to empty the cases/trunks onto the deck , needless to say they protested and he turned them upside down and among their personal effects
were tins of jam, knifes , forks , spoons , tins of milk , mugs , plates etc etc this all went into the sacks. We then went into every cabin and same procedure, we filled 14 sacks. Even his own steward had a pan confiscated.

We took the filled sacks on deck and asked him what will we do with them, REPLY - throw them over the wall and that will teach everybody not to pilfer ships stores. He was some guy , stern but a brilliant seaman.

Charlie Stitt
12th February 2009, 13:24
H&W Belfast got no more build orders from Andrew Weir after the Gowanbank. I heard there was a bit of a fallout so from then on all of Weir's ships were built at Doxford or Swan Hunter yards, and fine looking ships they were. For so many years a Bankboat could always be seen alongside the fitting out berth at Harland's,so from early 1968 it just seemed so strange and a pity not to see one there. ever again.

Waighty
12th February 2009, 13:42
H&W Belfast got no more build orders from Andrew Weir after the Gowanbank. I heard there was a bit of a fallout so from then on all of Weir's ships were built at Doxford or Swan Hunter yards, and fine looking ships they were. For so many years a Bankboat could always be seen alongside the fitting out berth at Harland's,so from early 1968 it just seemed so strange and a pity not to see one there. ever again.

Was 2/O on Gowan 1974. Joined Rotterdam at 0100 on a bitterly cold, wet Feb morning at some bulk terminal. They's just had an oil spill during bunkering. Sailed at 0300 for anchor outside in a gale while we secured ship. Then Emden to load VWs for Houston - arrived 0800, sailed 1400! Western Ocean did its worst. Houston in to City Docks, unload, back out to anchor, then back up to load for Aus. Old Man was a complete nutter and was eventually relieved in Aus at Port Philip Roads. Then sugar to Singapore I think, then Far East Africa run. Paid off in Capetown in Oct. Charlie Cain was C/E. One cadet went doollally in Melbourne and attacked another cadet. All good fun. Lot of pay rises in 1974 owing to Callaghan's handling of the economy. Somethin like 25% in 9 months!

Kevin Todd
25th February 2014, 13:57
As a new member am enjoying navigating the site. Came across this message of 10 years ago and realised I was on board at the time of the photo. I paid off the Gowanbank at Greenock on 18/08/76 having joined in Bombay on 06/01/76. Anybody else out there?

POSH GEORDIE
13th November 2014, 15:40
I relieved Kevin on the Gowanbank, loaded around Europe for Persian Gulf, then sub continent for Maputo( Hearts, Clubs, Diamonds and Spades) paid off in Durban (Hearts?) after 8 months, not the most exotic of trips but I was hooked for the next 16 years

Kevin Todd
13th November 2014, 16:30
Hi there Posh Geordie (and anyone else out there).

Wot exactly is a Posh Geordie then? I was born and raised in North Shields and I ain't never been accused of being posh!! Marilyn is but then she's from Harrow, what do you expect.

Glad to hear from you. You must have joined with Dave Lee amongst others. Dave and I corresponded a short while ago, turns out that he took over my luxury suite when he joined in Greenock. For me it was a really good trip, Africa / Orient run (East & South Africa, Bangkok, Singapore etc. before paying off in Greenock. Had arrived there with a cargo of sugar from Mauritius). Gowanbank was my first trip with Bankline, Weirbank & Testbank were to follow before I left for shorter trips with Denholm Maclay on the 'Conbulkers'.

All the best
Kevin

POSH GEORDIE
13th November 2014, 19:46
Hi Kevin,
It is Dave Lee, not posh not even a Geordie. The sixer on the Gowanbank was a proper Geordie and rest of lads could hardly understand him, I'm from a bit further south so I was the posh Geordie.http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/images/smilies/jump3.gif

Kevin Todd
15th November 2014, 09:34
Morning Dave,
My first thought was that it may have been you (the "I relieved Kevin" bit seemed to suggest that!).

Blimey, 16 years before the masts is impressive. I managed 10 before leaving to get married in 1981.

I've seen the photos you posted in 'BLN'. I recently dug out my old files and will be posting some pictures & mug shots of my own soon. Keep watching.
Kevin