Burton's or Norie's - What's your preference?

Jardine
29th November 2011, 18:22
Being an ex Alfred Holt middy the preference was Burton's but I am sure that was due to SMB being an ex Blue Funnel man himself.
What was your choice /preference.

Pat Thompson
29th November 2011, 18:58
Greetings,

Naughties Norical Tables.....they were bigger than Burtons so they had to be better !!!!!

Pat Thompson
29th November 2011, 19:08
Geetings,

Incidentally, we were always told to ask for Burtons/Nories, ie the one you didn't have, when going into a BOT (not I must add to have your BOT examined but them that have been there will know what I am talking about) exam as between Nories and Burtons and the instructions contained therein one could find every formulae you would need to do your navigational calculations and the derivation thereto which should see you through the principles of navigation paper which in Second Mates was the killer paper.

borderreiver
29th November 2011, 19:19
Geetings,

Incidentally, we were always told to ask for Burtons/Nories, ie the one you didn't have, when going into a BOT (not I must add to have your BOT examined but them that have been there will know what I am talking about) exam as between Nories and Burtons and the instructions contained therein one could find every formulae you would need to do your navigational calculations and the derivation thereto which should see you through the principles of navigation paper which in Second Mates was the killer paper.

You took the word out of my mouth. In practice Nories easily to use for day to day work.Belive the havsins in Nories were better

Cutsplice
29th November 2011, 20:46
I only ever used Norries still have it, never used Burtons but did flick through one a couple of times, one tended to stick with the one you started with I started with Norries and never seen the need to change.

Strachan
29th November 2011, 20:47
Being an ex Alfred Holt middy the preference was Burton's

By 1958 the Holts preference had switched to Nories. :-)

rothesian
30th November 2011, 00:48
Nories for me - used it in pre-sea and stuck to it.
Was also advised to ask for Burtons because of the formulae(*))

Jardine
30th November 2011, 09:13
By 1958 the Holts preference had switched to Nories. :-)

That's the year I left. I am surprised there was a change as I one usually stayed with what you started with.

Chris Isaac
30th November 2011, 09:27
I am a Nories man, still have it.
How many others of you underlined each post at the back when you had visited them?

vasco
30th November 2011, 10:02
Nories, then hp41c,30 yrs old and still calculating!

slick
30th November 2011, 11:29
All,
Burtons 1956, thence introduced to Myerscough and Hamilton in 1964 by an enlightened NZ Navigator then supplemented by an HP35 now at weary broken rest but what a machine, what a revelation.
Is it possible to get an HP 35 repaired more particularly the battery pack and charger?

Yours aye,

slick

commander
30th November 2011, 12:19
Norie's for me.Grew up on them at pre-sea. Recall showing them to a deck cadet in later years and he being amazed and baffled by the pages of numbers. He stuck with his calculator thingy.

howardang
30th November 2011, 12:20
Burtons for me because that was the recommendation at Warsash pre-sea, and I just stuck with it. Handy for the formulae and derivations which certainly came in useful when sitting for tickets above Burtons Buildings in Hull:-)

Howard

vasco
30th November 2011, 17:36
All,
Burtons 1956, thence introduced to Myerscough and Hamilton in 1964 by an enlightened NZ Navigator then supplemented by an HP35 now at weary broken rest but what a machine, what a revelation.
Is it possible to get an HP 35 repaired more particularly the battery pack and charger?

Yours aye,

slick

this may be of interest. http://www.hpmuseum.org/hp35.htm
It mentions rpn, which really used to infuriate smarties who knew better. I used to take a bit of sadistic pleasure watching some old men 'nick' my 41, do a string of calculations then find out there was no equal key.

Binnacle
30th November 2011, 17:58
See old thread - Nories v Burtons

Duncan112
30th November 2011, 18:04
The Tamaya calculators in their fitted wooden cases were also very popular, this website might kindle a few memories..

http://www.vintagecalculators.com/html/navigation_calculators.html#NC-2

Boatman25
30th November 2011, 18:07
I always found Burton's suits good value, never heard of Nories

Jardine
30th November 2011, 18:13
The Tamaya calculators in their fitted wooden cases were also very popular, this website might kindle a few memories..

http://www.vintagecalculators.com/html/navigation_calculators.html#NC-2

Calculators! Wash your mouth out Duncan.

Jardine
2nd December 2011, 09:35
Anyone familiar with Baker Position Line Chartlets

vasco
2nd December 2011, 12:50
Anyone familiar with Baker Position Line Chartlets

used them all the time, very handy

Jardine
2nd December 2011, 13:41
used them all the time, very handy

Agreed. I would never be without them.

onestar
2nd December 2011, 16:08
I used Burtons, Norie's and Inman's, but went back to Burton's for the more concise and crisper layouts. All history now!

Strachan
3rd December 2011, 01:44
I remember the kerfuffle when, as a shiny new 2nd Mate, I turned up on the bridge with a set of HO somethings .. Aircraft Navigation Tables .. you with a bit of pre work you could run off 5 stars and have a fix in 3 or 4 minutes. The 'old man' went up the wall. So, to keep the bugger happy I used to do stars when he was in dinner using the HO Tables and then use the generated fix as the DR for his much beloved Marc St. Hilaire. He never did twig why my intercepts were so small.
I guess that my present contempt for officers that use GPS is a mirror of his behaviour. :-)

borderreiver
3rd December 2011, 08:29
I remember the kerfuffle when, as a shiny new 2nd Mate, I turned up on the bridge with a set of HO somethings .. Aircraft Navigation Tables .. you with a bit of pre work you could run off 5 stars and have a fix in 3 or 4 minutes. The 'old man' went up the wall. So, to keep the bugger happy I used to do stars when he was in dinner using the HO Tables and then use the generated fix as the DR for his much beloved Marc St. Hilaire. He never did twig why my intercepts were so small.
I guess that my present contempt for officers that use GPS is a mirror of his behaviour. :-)

Did you ever get a star position plotted on the chart before sunset

NoR
3rd December 2011, 08:45
Geetings,

As I remember it, if you had to resort to the formulae and instructions contained in either Nories or Burtons during the exam, you're chances of passing it were pretty slim.

Jardine
3rd December 2011, 09:42
As I remember it, if you had to resort to the formulae and instructions contained in either Nories or Burtons during the exam, you're chances of passing it were pretty slim.

That's right! The relevant pages were taped up and and any notations resulted in the book being replaced by a similar clean book by the examiner.