Homemade entertainment on board

billwoodwardart
30th November 2011, 17:18
Did any of you sail with creative entertainers?
We were to be at sea for Christmas 1979 and decided to make our own instruments to play in the bar.
The 2/O (Gordon Head, used to be in the Liverpool City Stompers) was a fine guitarist so made a harp.
Mick the 3/eng made a flute from a cooler tube (raised eye-brow from the C/eng, Davy Carr)
R/O "Yank" played the whiskey jugs.
I made a skiffle bass out of the tea-chest the engine-room rags came in and used indicator card cord for the string (another raised eyebrow from C/eng).
We could knock out a half decent "Danny Boy", "Annie's Song" and a bunch of Christmas tunes by the time we were done.
It's always stuck in my mind.
Highlight of the day was seeing a dozen grown men cry when we opened gift boxes from the school kids in Brownsville, Texas. We had all received a letter and presents on Christmas day. So thoughtful.
Bill

gadgee
30th November 2011, 20:36
Bill
You have posted this in Shaw Savill but what ship were you on please?

billwoodwardart
1st December 2011, 03:47
Hi Paul,
I was a "Slow Starvation & Agony" cadet from 75-79, sailing in Malvern Prince, Chilton Prince, Orduna & Laurentic. Promoted to Junior Engr on latter then let go with the mass exodus and moved to Bibby Bros for a couple of years. This was actually on the Wiltshire with Bibby Bros and I didn't realize I'd posted it in a SS&A thread.
More in my profile.
Bill

TOM ALEXANDER
1st December 2011, 08:51
Pacific Northwest - 2nd. mate & I played guitar, 3rd. mate the accordian, and someone else on the tea chest base. Played a lot of skiffle, but did play at a dance at the New Westminster Flying Angel one night. Afterwards, one of our bunch had the bright idea to turn up at the local radio station (CKNW - still in existence) and play there. There wouldn't even let us in the door, but when we spilled back out onto Columbia Avenue we set up on the sidewalk. About 1:00 a.m. by now, but a taxi pulled over, held his microphone out of the window, and got us patched in to the rest of the fleet --- so we did get to play on the radio for a short time anyway. (No - down boys - not that kind of short time - there wasn't a girl in sight.)

Dickyboy
1st December 2011, 09:01
We used to play music over the PA from the bridge on one BP tanker I was on. Saturday lunchtimes as I recall. Anyone could put in a request and supply the required track from their own music collection. The Captain was dead keen on it. It was a very primitive system involving a handheld mic' held over a compaq disc tape recorder. Happy days.... :)

gadgee
1st December 2011, 10:11
Hi Paul,
I was a "Slow Starvation & Agony" cadet from 75-79, sailing in Malvern Prince, Chilton Prince, Orduna & Laurentic. Promoted to Junior Engr on latter then let go with the mass exodus and moved to Bibby Bros for a couple of years. This was actually on the Wiltshire with Bibby Bros and I didn't realize I'd posted it in a SS&A thread.
More in my profile.
Bill

OK Bill will leave here in SSA as you have attracted some additional comments.

tunatownshipwreck
1st December 2011, 20:00
Pacific Northwest - 2nd. mate & I played guitar, 3rd. mate the accordian, and someone else on the tea chest base. Played a lot of skiffle, but did play at a dance at the New Westminster Flying Angel one night. Afterwards, one of our bunch had the bright idea to turn up at the local radio station (CKNW - still in existence) and play there. There wouldn't even let us in the door, but when we spilled back out onto Columbia Avenue we set up on the sidewalk. About 1:00 a.m. by now, but a taxi pulled over, held his microphone out of the window, and got us patched in to the rest of the fleet --- so we did get to play on the radio for a short time anyway. (No - down boys - not that kind of short time - there wasn't a girl in sight.)
I believe I caught one of your practice sessions when you were docked in Astoria in the late 1960s.

billwoodwardart
2nd December 2011, 14:54
OK Bill will leave here in SSA as you have attracted some additional comments.

Paul,
How would a moron go about moving it to the right place? Could a non-moron do it for me?
Bill

gadgee
2nd December 2011, 18:47
Bill
It is doing all right here but probably more of a "Mess Deck" item. I can move if you wish

Regards
Paul