Alhambra

witchy
11th January 2006, 01:16
Hello,(wave)
Thanks for checking out my inquiry. Im hoping someone can help me out here.
I am looking to find as much information & especially photos (if anyone has got any or knows a site in which to find) of the vessel Alhambra.

The only info i have is that it was in an accident with another vessel the John T Berry. This took place in the newcastle area of new south wales (Australia)

Any info or pics you might have i would really appreciate it..
Thx

Witchy

P.S JUST FOUND SOME EXTRA INFORMATION ON THE VESSEL I AM LOOKING FOR ..............................
Alhambra. Iron screw steamship, 766/497 tons. #24758. Built London, 1855 for the Peninsula & Oriental Steam Navigation Company; reg. Sydney, 56/1883. L 209.2 ft. Later operated by McMeckan, Blackwood & Co. Ran on Melbourne - New Zealand route, also to Adelaide, and Japan. After useful service in the passenger trade, cconverted to a collier. As such, struck the wreck of the John T. Berry which stove in several plates; sank near Port Stephens, NSW, June 1888. Crew reached safety.
[LN],[SAN - lost on Oyster Bank, Newcastle incorrect],[ASR - lost July 1888],[DG - 642 tons, July 1888],[WL - 642 gross, foundered seven miles east of Newcastle, possibly after striking a derelict vessel.],[LAH - 766 tons],[DG - 642 tons]
Note - the John T. Berry went down off Port Stephens.

SO ANY INFORMATION OR PICTURES OF EITHER VESSEL OR CAPTAIN /CREW OR EVEN POSSIBLE WHEREABOUTS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED (Read) (flowers)

tanker
11th January 2006, 10:17
This is A Shot taken from me of ALHAMBRA in Barcelona Middle 80s.
Is that you search?
Gp

R58484956
11th January 2006, 14:37
Welcome witchy to the site enjoy it and a happy new year to you.

witchy
20th February 2006, 00:00
Thankyou for your welcome note :)

witchy
20th February 2006, 00:08
Thanks for your time & effort in sending a note & pic .. however this is not the Alhambra i am looking for :( The one im looking for is a steamer built 1855.. Became shipwrecked June/July 1888
Anyway thanks again for your time :)

Bruce Carson
20th February 2006, 01:47
Hello Witchy,
Welcome onboard. Hope you enjoy the information and camaraderie here.

Can't find a picture, but here is a history of the ship.
http://portal.pohub.com/pls/pogprtl/poghistory.display_document.pdf?p_id=1071

Bruce C.

ruud
20th February 2006, 06:12
Ahoy Witchy,
I'm afraid not being a great help on this thread, but here some facts.
Alhambra, Captain G.J. Babot,Capt. J.H. Faruhar, Master I. M. P. McElhinney,
Alhambra. Steamer.
In 1862, 10 December, collided with the Pilot schooner Rip, just outside Port Phillip Heads and was considerably damaged.
On 11 December 1871, involved in collision with brig African Maid, Port Phillip.
In June 1873, involved in collision with steamer Otway, Yarra River, Melbourne.
1880 Season-Feb 26
The steamer “Alhambra,” which sailed from Halifax at 4 p.m. on Tuesday, the 17th inst., bound to Cow Bay, returned to this port, arriving here yesterday morning. Captain McElhinney furnishes us the following report of the passage: “Had nothing to note until we arrived at the mouth of Cow Bay, where we entered on Wednesday night (the evening after leaving Halifax), when the weather set in foggy, accompanied with rain and a strong breeze from the South. There was considerable ice in the Bay to the North-East of us, but the weather being so thick, could not enter the Bay, and was compelled to head off shore; consequently getting into the ice. The wind continued blowing fresh from the south, with very thick weather until noon the day following, when the wind shifted to the West and N. W., blowing hard until Friday, driving us into heavy ice. We were at this time about 30 miles to the East of Scaterie [sic] Island, where we remained, drifting about, until last Tuesday morning, before we got out. The ice then slackened, which enabled us to sail and steam ahead, getting into clear water about 50 miles SE of Scatarie. As the wind at this time was blowing a gale from the East, decided not to attempt to proceed to Cow Bay, and returned to this port.” The “Alhambra” had sufficient coal to last her until her arrival here and she is in good condition, suffering no damage form her six days imprisoned in the ice.

http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/miscpics/0/0/2/im/mp002027.jpg

witchy
24th February 2006, 03:52
Hello Witchy,

Bruce C.
Dear Bruce ,

Thankyou for you help in my search for info on the Alhambra .... so kind of you to take the time. If you should come accross any more or a picture i would greatly appreciate it...

Thanks again
Regards

Witchy

witchy
24th February 2006, 03:55
Ahoy Witchy,
I'm afraid not being a great help on this thread, but here some facts.
Alhambra, Captain G.J. Babot,Capt. J.H. Faruhar, Master I. M. P. McElhinney,
Alhambra. Steamer.
In 1862, 10 December, collided with the Pilot schooner Rip, just outside Port Phillip Heads and was considerably damaged.
On 11 December 1871, involved in collision with brig African Maid, Port Phillip.
In June 1873, involved in collision with steamer Otway, Yarra River, Melbourne.
1880 Season-Feb 26
The steamer “Alhambra,” which sailed from Halifax at 4 p.m. on Tuesday, the 17th inst., bound to Cow Bay, returned to this port, arriving here yesterday morning. Captain McElhinney furnishes us the following report of the passage: “Had nothing to note until we arrived at the mouth of Cow Bay, where we entered on Wednesday night (the evening after leaving Halifax), when the weather set in foggy, accompanied with rain and a strong breeze from the South. There was considerable ice in the Bay to the North-East of us, but the weather being so thick, could not enter the Bay, and was compelled to head off shore; consequently getting into the ice. The wind continued blowing fresh from the south, with very thick weather until noon the day following, when the wind shifted to the West and N. W., blowing hard until Friday, driving us into heavy ice. We were at this time about 30 miles to the East of Scaterie [sic] Island, where we remained, drifting about, until last Tuesday morning, before we got out. The ice then slackened, which enabled us to sail and steam ahead, getting into clear water about 50 miles SE of Scatarie. As the wind at this time was blowing a gale from the East, decided not to attempt to proceed to Cow Bay, and returned to this port.” The “Alhambra” had sufficient coal to last her until her arrival here and she is in good condition, suffering no damage form her six days imprisoned in the ice.

http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/miscpics/0/0/2/im/mp002027.jpg
Dear Ruud ,

Thankyou for the information & pic you sent of the Alhambra ... greatly appreciated... should you come accross any further information or even pictures i would greatly appreciate it...

Thanks again for your time & effort

Kind regards
Witchy

witchy
7th March 2006, 03:06
Hello Witchy,

Bruce C.
Thanks for the info link Bruce muchly appreciated :D

Richard Maskiell
4th April 2007, 12:51
Some information on this vessel: Built by Samuda at Millwall in London in 1855 (registered June 29). Used by P & O in the UK-Spain & Portugal trade, which no doubt accounts for the Spanish name. In 1862 purchased by McMeckan Blackwood of Melbourne (the Blue Emu Line) and left Southampton for Australia on 10 Sep 1862. Sailed in the Australia-NZ service, with several minor collisions over the years. When Union SS Co of NZ in November 1878 took over McMeckan Blackwood's NZ service she was not included in the deal and operated on the Australian coast. Sold in December 1882 to Nipper & See of Sydney and probably used in the coal trade thereafter. Changed hands several times in quick succession. Sank on 30 Jun 1888 after striking the floating derelict John T. Berry near Newcastle; I believe that she may have been engaged in attempting to salvage the Berry.
There is an article in Sea Breezes Oct-Nov 1967 on the Blue Emu Line; most of their ships are illustrated but I think this one missed out. The State Library of Victoria may have a picture in their collection.