Falklands 30th Anniversary

tidespring82
4th December 2011, 12:26
There are rumours in the press that there could be an unprecedented celebration of the 30th anniversary of the Falklands Conflict next year, a small group of ex RFA crew members would like to contact as many people as possible who served on the 22 ships that went south in 82, including STONNERY. I already know a number of members served, but would like to hear from anyone else please, so we can get something organised if the celebration comes off. Thank you all in advance.(==D)

George.GM
11th December 2011, 11:55
Hi Peter
I see that Glasgow University intend to mark the anniversary by taking a team of Argentinians to dig up the battlefields.
Not very sensitive do you not agree ?
Perhaps you can think of a way of stopping it or should we just leave it to the Falkland Islanders to refuse them permission.

Satanic Mechanic
11th December 2011, 12:04
"Celebration"?????(EEK)

Stephen J. Card
11th December 2011, 12:54
Chap walks into a pub and whispers to the landlord, "Pint of bitter, please."

Landlord says, "What's that?"

Again he whispers... very strained.... "Pint of bitter, please."

Landlord asks, "What's the matter with your voice?"

Chap says nothing, but pulls down his scarf revealing a horrible nasty scar running from ear to ear.

Landlord exclaims, "Where did you get that?"

Chap says painfully, "Falklands."

Landlord asks, "Those bastar*s did that to you down there?"

Chap nodds.

Landlord says, "Well for a start we know how to treat aFalklands vet. The pint is on the house... and another! When you are finished here, go into the restaurant and order whatever you want... have some wine too. It is all on the house, we know how to treat a Falklands vet!"

Chap says, " Mucho gracias senior."

Told to me just a few weeks ago by a retired Royal Marine sailing in SAGA RUBY.

Hawkeye
16th December 2011, 20:55
There are rumours in the press that there could be an unprecedented celebration of the 30th anniversary of the Falklands Conflict next year, a small group of ex RFA crew members would like to contact as many people as possible who served on the 22 ships that went south in 82, including STONNERY. I already know a number of members served, but would like to hear from anyone else please, so we can get something organised if the celebration comes off. Thank you all in advance.(==D)

Does this also incude the STUFT Ships? Like St Edmund?

tidespring82
21st December 2011, 20:27
Does this also incude the STUFT Ships? Like St Edmund?
Hawkeye it will include EVEYONE who served down south if it comes off(Scribe)

Hawkeye
22nd December 2011, 01:19
Hawkeye it will include EVEYONE who served down south if it comes off(Scribe)

Ok. I'll pass this on to my coleagues who went south.

King Ratt
22nd December 2011, 17:15
There seems to be a wee bit of sabre rattling going on down in South America. Perhaps a 30th Anniversary celebration might calm them down a bit.

Satanic Mechanic
22nd December 2011, 17:50
There seems to be a wee bit of sabre rattling going on down in South America. Perhaps a 30th Anniversary celebration might calm them down a bit.

Yeah thats right, us celebrating the deaths of their countrymen is going to make them feel real peaceful

Coastie
22nd December 2011, 18:02
Might make them think before they try anything again!

Norm
23rd December 2011, 01:09
If the Argiies had won, they would be having a "Malvinas Day" celebration every year!!

Coastie
23rd December 2011, 01:40
Probably! Like a mini "Day of Independance"!

24362972gmh
5th January 2012, 21:43

My Uncle Petty Officer E J Lewis (Jack) served on the Tidespring during Falklands War did you know him?

sparkie2182
5th January 2012, 21:54
"Might make them think before they try anything again!"

Yep........It sure worked in Germany between WW1 and WW2.

sparkie2182
5th January 2012, 22:21
At least someone agrees with me.........ref another thread.

QUOTE.............

"Britain might have lost the Falklands war if Argentine forces had held on for another week, the commander of the task force said yesterday on the 20th anniversary of the invasion.
Admiral Sir John "Sandy" Woodward said the conflict was "a lot closer run than many would care to believe."

By the time of the Argentine surrender, British losses were mounting while rations and ammunition were running low. "We were on our last legs," the admiral said. "If they had been able to hold on another week it might have been a different story."

The admiral recalled sending the land forces a signal on June 6 saying that his battle group at sea was going to be totally exhausted by June 14, the day the Argentines eventually capitulated.

"We won the Falklands war with a degree of luck," he said yesterday. His comments are in line with the military consensus that the war was a far more desperate operation than was understood at the time.

On the day before the islands' liberation, the admiral wrote in his diary: "We are now on the cliff edge of our capability. Frankly, if the Argies could only breathe on us, we would fall over! Perhaps they're the same way: can only trust so, otherwise we're in for a carve-up."

UNQUOTE.

Not to mention had the Argentine air force acquired a handful more Exocets...........we were down to June 14th as it was!!!!!!!!!!!

Around 75% of our fleet had been sunk or damaged.

Less than 10% for the Argentine air strike force had been lost.

The book on the Falklands "war" by Sir Max Hastings (the first reporter into Stanley) is worth reading before reaching for the glass of self congratulatory champagne.

The finest fighting men in the World, and a lot of luck won the day............Well done to each and everyone involved.

The U.K. Government of the day had every chance of avoiding conflict and did not do so.

Please take the time to read Hasting's book............. it may change your views..........it may not.

For any armchair adventurers...............this may be of interest..............by Sir Sandy............>>>>>>>

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/falklandislands/8571442/Britain-can-do-nothing-to-prevent-Argentina-retaking-Falkland-Islands.html

As this thread is bound to become circular, this is my last.................regards to all.

R58484956
6th January 2012, 14:45
Greetings 2436 etc etc and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

tidespring82
25th January 2012, 08:34
Further to my original post, if anyone who served on RFA ships in 82 is interested, a group of ex RFA crew members is organising a get together in Plymouth in June (hopefully on the 14th), please drop me a line and let me know if you would like to come along and join us for what promises to be an excellent day, meeting old shipmates and catching up on what we have all been doing for the last 30 years.(Pint)