Those in Peril

Tom Inglis
7th December 2011, 12:59
Captain Ian Cook, who went to sea on "Prometheus" in 1944 , stayed with Blue Funnel until he passed Master's Ticket then joined Straits Steamship co. Singapore, then was a pilot in Penang, then New Zealand [Timaru and Gisborne] He is now retired and living in Taupo, New Zealand and has written a book about his "56 year love affair with ships" The Book "Those in Peril" is a great read for anyone with an interest in ships, harbours and pilotage, but even greater interest to ex Blue Funnel guys who will recognise the tales he relates about encounters with Pinky Johnston, Peter Cruikshanks, Dick Denning,Bill Rocket, Desmond Stewart etc and his voyages around Borneo, Thailand and Burma with Straits.
A wealth of memory jogging.
For more details have a look in the Books and Magazines forum under the heading "Those in peril"
Enjoy the read and the nostalgia.
Regards
Tom Inglis

Jardine
7th December 2011, 15:21
I recognise all those names Tom.

Tom Inglis
7th December 2011, 16:31
I recognise all those names Tom.

Yes I guessed you would Jardine. The book is full of memorable tales about loads of people we know of and in many cases have sailed with.

Tom

Jardine
7th December 2011, 17:57
Yes I guessed you would Jardine. The book is full of memorable tales about loads of people we know of and in many cases have sailed with.

Tom

A few more Tom. Bold and Johnny Rae(JC Rae I think). Not long promoted the Ch.Off when I left.

Jardine
14th December 2011, 15:28
Captain Ian Cook, who went to sea on "Prometheus" in 1944 , stayed with Blue Funnel until he passed Master's Ticket then joined Straits Steamship co. Singapore, then was a pilot in Penang, then New Zealand [Timaru and Gisborne] He is now retired and living in Taupo, New Zealand and has written a book about his "56 year love affair with ships" The Book "Those in Peril" is a great read for anyone with an interest in ships, harbours and pilotage, but even greater interest to ex Blue Funnel guys who will recognise the tales he relates about encounters with Pinky Johnston, Peter Cruikshanks, Dick Denning,Bill Rocket, Desmond Stewart etc and his voyages around Borneo, Thailand and Burma with Straits.
A wealth of memory jogging.
For more details have a look in the Books and Magazines forum under the heading "Those in peril"
Enjoy the read and the nostalgia.
Regards
Tom Inglis

I recall a former Pilot/HM in Penang around this time (1950s onwards) was a diminutive Scotsman named Len McLeod. I don't know if he was in the Blue Funnel. He was involved in a sheep or cattle farm in Oz