Mv Aranda

IAN MORROW
18th October 2008, 21:37
Hi, I am looking for 3 old sea buddies , (or any one else who may have been a part of a great crew at the time), on board mv Aranda during 1968-69.
They are John Leggett ( from Shepherds Bush ) , who was my cabin mate and Tony Cripps ( from Leeds ) and David McAll ( ? ). They may remember the time we went up Table Top Mountain in Cape Town via cable car on the 8th August 1969 ( I still have a photograph of the day ), or the time we were nearly arrested when taking a seat in the "blacks only" section on a bus in Durban !!
The captain at that time was Captain B. Hammond.
(Thumb)

John Crossland
19th October 2008, 05:32
Hi Ian,

I sailed in Aranda as cadet, voyages 4 & 5 from 16 Mar 1970 to 30 Oct 1970.

I think your dates may be wrong unless you sailed on Aragon in Royal Mail.

1969 Aragon last voy.
Dep Southampton 04 Jan 1969 to South Ameriica
Arr Southhampton 20 Feb 1969

1969 Aranda
Voy.1 Dep Southampton 28 Mar 1969
NZ, Aus. Via Panama

John.H.Clark
20th October 2008, 14:03
I recall being berthed by a brand new A class about 1962, a smart ship. I later saw one that had been converted into a car carrier, a complete mess
John

IAN MORROW
21st October 2008, 21:57
Hi John,
The ship was definetly the Aranda ( not sure of the voy. no.), but we sailed from King George Docks , London, not Southampton. We did go through Panama and onto Aus./NZ. I remember our first port of call was the Bahamas.
Cheers, Ian

ewenlowrie
23rd October 2008, 05:09
Hi, I am looking for 3 old sea buddies , (or any one else who may have been a part of a great crew at the time), on board mv Aranda during 1968-69.
They are John Leggett ( from Shepherds Bush ) , who was my cabin mate and Tony Cripps ( from Leeds ) and David McAll ( ? ). They may remember the time we went up Table Top Mountain in Cape Town via cable car on the 8th August 1969 ( I still have a photograph of the day ), or the time we were nearly arrested when taking a seat in the "blacks only" section on a bus in Durban !!
(Thumb)

lowrie ewen ab sailed on her same trip i was also up on table mountain. i remember us taking the washing machine down to the pig and whistle and filling it up with beer great trip cheers lowrie

David Stockham
19th April 2011, 01:50
I was ships photographer on voyage 6 leaving London on Nov 4th 1970,I was 17,anyone remember?

pbeart1
20th April 2011, 23:08
I was on the Aranda 1st trip with Shaw Saville. Departed London (KG docks). We had the main engine linked to the empty fuel tank and drifted down the Thames for a very short distance as we switched fuel tanks and restarted.

maxdog
2nd September 2011, 15:10
I was on the first two Aranda trips from KG5 as an joiner Electrical Engineer does anyone know where any of the existance any other "vintage" Engineers.
The Chief Electrical Engineer at that time was Mike Saunders (shifty).

pbeart1
2nd September 2011, 20:48
I was on the first two Aranda trips from KG5 as an joiner Electrical Engineer does anyone know where any of the existance any other "vintage" Engineers.
The Chief Electrical Engineer at that time was Mike Saunders (shifty).

Hi ken,
We sailed together on the Aranda .. Paul Beart .. Plum Bum as I was known in those days. If I recall you are from Tayside?. Great trip then I got Married!!! Love to hear from you. Paul

Legard2
17th September 2011, 23:32
I was ships photographer on voyage 6 leaving London on Nov 4th 1970,I was 17,anyone remember?

I was the pianist on Aranda about that time, but can't quite remember exact dates. It was the Ronnie Arnold Trio. Were we shipmates??

Richard

David Stockham
18th September 2011, 03:38
Hello Richard.
The Trio on Aranda with me was headed by pianist Davy Jones,I still talk with him.Great days.
Regards.
Dave.

aranda231
7th December 2011, 22:24
Hi all,

I would like to say my father Ernest Bateson sailed on the MV Aranda ... and he named me after the ship! Please feel free to contact him via my email address which is **************

Email address removed to stop Aranda receiving unsolicited messages. Anyone with info for Aranda can make contact through SN's PM (Private Message) facility.

Gulpers
7th December 2011, 22:47
aranda231,

On behalf of the SN Moderating Team, a warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey!
You will thoroughly enjoy your time on SN and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

aranda231
8th December 2011, 15:59
Please read my blog!

http://themoneypit2011.blogspot.com/2011/12/everything-shipshape_08.html

R58484956
9th December 2011, 14:42
Greetings Aranda and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

BishopBoy
26th June 2013, 14:25
(Thumb)

Hi Ian my name is John Brown from Co Durham originally,i replied once but i think to a different post,i was in that trip 2nd Butcher 26 July/24 October 69, (and you were right it was Aranda sailed from KG5) and i was also on the previous trip 20 March/ ?July 69,i was u/steward but worked with butchers, chief butcher Ron Mallows was from Co Durham also,i went up tablemountain that time on the cable car,im sure our paths must have crossed sometime,somewere, maybe the pig & whistle?, i also sailed on the Akaroa and Arawa,identical ships and crews used to change ships, so to put names to ships is difficult and its about 43 years ago now,good crews on those ships and some really good times,hope you had luck finding your ship mates.

Regards John

greg mellor
14th November 2013, 02:20
Hi Ian,
I was on the Aranda's maiden voyage for Shaw Saville from KG5 docks and the captain was Brian Hammond....Greg

tony mullen
25th April 2014, 02:18
John are you still active on the site,would like to ask you about your trip and ports you visited on the 14th july 1970 trip. kind regards. tony mullen

BishopBoy
26th April 2014, 13:00
John are you still active on the site,would like to ask you about your trip and ports you visited on the 14th july 1970 trip. kind regards. tony mullen

Hi Tony,sorry i cant help you on that,my last voyage on The Aranda was 21 July 69 /24 October 69.I was on the Akaroa 6 APR 70/23 AUG 70,
Regards John Brown

tony mullen
27th April 2014, 00:20
thank you John for your reply. if anyone was on the Aranda july -oct 1970 maybe they could correct or agree with me on the ports of call. London-canary islands-cape town-fremantle-Melbourne-Sydney-Auckland-rarotonga-pitcairn island-Tahiti - panama-the azores-London.
interestingly someone mention their cabin mate was an AB who worked as QM named Con, well it's a small world as that was my cabin mate when I sailed on her in 1970 .

HaswellIan48
8th August 2014, 21:59
(Thumb)

I remember John Legget and the butcher John Brown, do you remember Ian Williams 2nd baker? Did first 2 trips as Aranda.

sailorvee
30th October 2014, 11:27
Greetings, I was on The Aranda,Name is Aubrey. I think last voyage of 69 or first of 70 but I do remember KGV being cold and wet and the pub we used is now a very fancy block of flats.......
I think Curacao for bunkers as first port, Tahiti certainly, and then all the usual suspects. Nothing so exotic as Pitcairn.
I was a P.R.S. One of my weirdest recollections was of a woman who came to a dance, immaculately turned out, except she still had her curlers in. I always wondered where she was going on to after the ball was over! (The offense for getting caught was "Broaching ships cargo." Maybe it still is.)