Mersey Mammoth

KEITH SEVILLE
10th December 2011, 09:37
Mersey Mammoth (Floating Crane) was towed out of Liverpool Docks early this morning by tug Hibernia - currently passing Gas Fields in the Irish Sea - 2.7 knots - heading westwards.
She has been sold for further service as far as I know, not sure yet
which port she is destined for.
Heard conflicting reports of either Rotterdam or Ghent.
Waiting for confirmation. Tugs AIS still showing Liverpool.

Regards
Keith

Compass Rose
10th December 2011, 21:03
I did hear a whisper that she is off to Flushing (Vlissingen) Holland for dry docking. Then possible onto Georgia, but this is unconfirmed.

BillH
11th December 2011, 09:42
I did hear a whisper that she is off to Flushing (Vlissingen) Holland for dry docking. Then possible onto Georgia, but this is unconfirmed.

Quoted as sheltering last night at Dale Roads in Milford Haven

KEITH SEVILLE
12th December 2011, 21:24
Just noticed on AIS Tug Hibernia with Mersey Mammoth at the moment
East Point Lynas, I would think taking shelter.
Destination given as Flushing eta 0600/16th, this weather permitting.

Regards
Keith

Compass Rose
15th December 2011, 16:03
Tug Hibernia and Mersey Mammoth are now leaving Lynas anchorage en route to Flushing, Hibernia is showing ETA 21st Dec 22:00

Compass Rose
15th December 2011, 21:09
Both have gone back to anchor after a lot of activity, guess they are planning to leave a little later

KEITH SEVILLE
19th December 2011, 17:34
Mersey Mammoth apparently now under tow of tug Hibernia, bound Flushing
where due 1200/23rd December 2011 - Weather Permitting.
I think she must be approaching North Devon coast by now as she was off South Wales some 12 hours ago, towing at a reasonable speed.

KEITH SEVILLE
20th December 2011, 07:19
Mersey Mammoth with tug Hibernia, West of Sennen Cove -Lands End.
Speed: 6.5 Knots bound Flushing.

Pat Kennedy
20th December 2011, 11:03
Keith,
I was in New Brighton yesterday and noticed that there was a floating crane in the Liverpool dock system, looked like Langton from my perspective. Its a large crane with yellow jib, but there is nothing on AIS.
regards,
Pat

Compass Rose
20th December 2011, 12:47
It's the GPS APOLLO pat, brought in by the tug Hibernia to lift the linkspan into place for the new ferry stage, which has already been damaged during the recent winds.

Pat Kennedy
20th December 2011, 18:35
It's the GPS APOLLO pat, brought in by the tug Hibernia to lift the linkspan into place for the new ferry stage, which has already been damaged during the recent winds.
Thanks for that Compass Rose, I see her now on AIS, in Canada 2 branch.
Is she here for just one job, or are Peel keeping her as a permanernt replacement?
Pat

Compass Rose
20th December 2011, 21:14
Not too sure Pat, possibility just waiting for the Hibernia to return to take her back down South, but it does raise the question as to why she has been left assembled, as if to undertake another job locally.

KEITH SEVILLE
21st December 2011, 08:01
Latest info on Mersey Mammoth. Tug Hibernia south of Swanage, Dorset with
tow, speed 6.5 knots bound Flushing.

Compass Rose
16th February 2012, 21:49
I see the GPS Apollo was on the move today, being towed by the Carmet's tug Audrey.

She has gone up the Manchester Ship Canal to Runcorn.
Does anybody have an idea as to the work she is to undertake.

Pat Kennedy
17th February 2012, 10:04
Not too sure Pat, possibility just waiting for the Hibernia to return to take her back down South, but it does raise the question as to why she has been left assembled, as if to undertake another job locally.

I read in the Liverpool Echo that Peel Holdings issued a statement that said the Mersey Mammoth was 'old and knackered, and very expensive to keep going'.
An odd thing to say considering they are currently offering her for sale in Vlissengen.
They also stated that GPS Apollo is now permanently based in Liverpool.
I take this to mean that they have her on a retainer, but do not own her, and therefore are not responsible for crewing and maintainence costs.

Pat
(Smoke)

Compass Rose
17th February 2012, 14:28
Thanks for that Pat, what you say make sense, Peel have her around but do not have the expense of upkeep and crewing. There was always work of some kind for the Mammoth around the river and docks, so having the Apollo permanently based here must be a win-win situation for Peel.

p.d.
17th February 2012, 20:33
Looked like the GPS Apollo was going to lift a lock gate that was on the quay in Runcorn docks this afternoon,I'm sure someone will be able to confirm? Hard to get any decent photo's down there these days!!

Pat Kennedy
18th February 2012, 11:52
I'm not sure that GPS Apollo is a suitable replacement for the Mersey Mammoth. Certainly sher has a greater lifting capacity, 400 tons as opposed to the Mammoth's 250 tons, but the downside is that Apollo is a sheerlegs salvage barge and has no propulsion and no ability to slew. This means she requires a tug, not just to get her on site, but to manoevre her so the load can be moved in the horizontal plane.
Mersey Mammoth was self propelled, could slew through 360deg, and had a large open deck allowing her to lift and carry objects without the use of any other vessel.
I really feel that Peel Holdings have been rather short sighted in disposing of such a versatile vessel. I once saw her with a twenty ton grab fitted to the light hoist, dredging the river outside Alfred Locks. I cant see GPS Apollo doing that!
Regards,
Pat

Compass Rose
18th February 2012, 16:15
Yes agreed, she is limited and of course has no deck space like the Mammoth.
Although she is self propelled she always takes a tug when on the move. It will be interesting to see how much work she undertakes in the coming months.

Pat Kennedy
18th February 2012, 16:46
Yes agreed, she is limited and of course has no deck space like the Mammoth.
Although she is self propelled she always takes a tug when on the move. It will be interesting to see how much work she undertakes in the coming months.

Yes she does have propulsion apparently, for six knots in harbour, but because she is registered as a salvage barge, it seems she has to have a tug wherever she goes, or so I have been told.
Pat

p.d.
18th February 2012, 19:51
GPS Apollo today in Runcorn docks,sorry about the quality,it gives a good comparison with the 250 ton crane that used to do all the lifting in the canal.

Compass Rose
18th February 2012, 20:38
GPS Apollo today in Runcorn docks,sorry about the quality,it gives a good comparison with the 250 ton crane that used to do all the lifting in the canal.

It certainly does, thanks for the photo and information p.d.

Degzie
15th May 2012, 12:32
I see that the Mersey Mammoth has been renamed LARA 1 under the Panamanian Flag. Owner HAPO PARTICIPATIES BV.
Degzie

Degzie
12th August 2012, 14:45
i see that the Lara 1 (Mersey Mammoth) is back in the liverpool Dock System since the 25th july12. I wounder if she is on charter toPeel holdings? Anyone got any info?

Pat Kennedy
12th August 2012, 17:28
i see that the Lara 1 (Mersey Mammoth) is back in the liverpool Dock System since the 25th july12. I wounder if she is on charter toPeel holdings? Anyone got any info?

Degzie,
I took a photo of her a couple of weeks ago, berthed in West Canada Dock, and asked the same question.
No answer came the firm reply!
So if anyone knows, they're not saying.
Regards,
Pat
(Pint)

Compass Rose
12th August 2012, 18:42
The galley buzz doing the rounds says that she is on charter to peel operated by GPS. But this is unconfirmed.

Also. the cab of Mammoth, sorry LARA 1 is painted bright yellow

Pat Kennedy
12th August 2012, 19:34
The galley buzz doing the rounds says that she is on charter to peel operated by GPS. But this is unconfirmed.

Also. the cab of Mammoth, sorry LARA 1 is painted bright yellow

If thats the case, the question must be asked, why did Peel Ports flog it off in the first place, claiming, per a company spokesman that it was 'Old and knackered'
Furthermore, it does not seem to have moved in two weeks, so a charter doesnt make much sense.
Regards,
Pat

Compass Rose
12th August 2012, 20:05
Her first job on arrival was to work on Gladstone lock gates. I would expect to see her working on the 12 Quays when the repairs are ready to proceed.

pop282828
3rd March 2013, 19:37
I believe it is under charter to peel ports and it is programmed for two years work on the liverpool two project.

bob nightingale
3rd March 2013, 20:27
I was under the impression that she was sold because she would not pass the 25year survey,because she had grounded and had damage on bottom.
bob.

pop282828
3rd March 2013, 23:04
No just one of her voights was damaged but repaired and it was alll ok

pop282828
7th March 2013, 00:34
If thats the case, the question must be asked, why did Peel Ports flog it off in the first place, claiming, per a company spokesman that it was 'Old and knackered'
Furthermore, it does not seem to have moved in two weeks, so a charter doesnt make much sense.
Regards,
Pat

Smoke and mirrors at work there is a big story here if you look closely

Allan Wareing
7th March 2013, 08:42
Having looked through the previous posts I wonder if any of you are interested in the attached pics of the MSCCoy 250 ton crane passing Statham in the Canal, just above Latchford Locks. Taken by me in May 1937 with an old 'Box Brownie' type camera. Things aint like they used to be!,
Regards ,Allan.
(ex telephone boy, Latchford Locks)

Pat Kennedy
7th March 2013, 09:04
Having looked through the previous posts I wonder if any of you are interested in the attached pics of the MSCCoy 250 ton crane passing Statham in the Canal, just above Latchford Locks. Taken by me in May 1937 with an old 'Box Brownie' type camera. Things aint like they used to be!,
Regards ,Allan.
(ex telephone boy, Latchford Locks)
Its an amazing piece of machinery Allan, I saw it moored at Runcorn about four years ago. I wonder if it is still there, or has it now gone for scrap.
Regards,
Pat(Thumb)

pop282828
7th March 2013, 10:56
Thanks for that Pat, what you say make sense, Peel have her around but do not have the expense of upkeep and crewing. There was always work of some kind for the Mammoth around the river and docks, so having the Apollo permanently based here must be a win-win situation for Peel.

Very close to the real reason here

pop282828
7th March 2013, 11:00
I see that the Mersey Mammoth has been renamed LARA 1 under the Panamanian Flag. Owner HAPO PARTICIPATIES BV.
Degzie

I cant find any details of this company HAPO PARTICIPATIES BV.*

Compass Rose
7th March 2013, 12:32
I cant find any details of this company HAPO PARTICIPATIES BV.*

Here's a link to there website
http://hapobarges.com/

pop282828
7th March 2013, 14:37
Here's a link to there website
http://hapobarges.com/

Thank you been on there web site still think this was all a peel plan