Fyffes m.v.COTTICA

frank elliott
11th December 2011, 15:38
Hello everybody interested in Fyffes ships.Thought I would like to tell you that as an ex MN person of the good days of 1950 and 1960's that when I retired from Br Telecom me and a friend decided we would really like to treat ourselves to a trip back at sea and particularily head off for South America. It was 1995 and we went as passengers on the 'Cottica' the ship was a small though nearly new vessel of 4660 grt.and sister to the 'Coppiname' and 'Jarikaba' All three ships carried up to 8 passengers.The voyage began at Fyffes warehouse in Portsmouth and we went to Vlissingen Holland where we picked up allsorts of secondhand goods sourced on the Continent to take to Guyana and Suriname.Then headed off to Paramaribo Suriname. Georgetown,Guyana to unload. Then to Niew Nickerie Suriname to load bananas then Jarikaba plantation near Paramaribo to load more bananas and then back to Portsmouth. Great time ! F.

stan mayes
11th December 2011, 17:31
Hi Frank,
Just the kind of trip I would like to have -much better than
a cruise in the huge floating hotels at sea nowadays..
Regards,
Stan

terence
15th December 2011, 21:39
hi frank how long was the trip and if you dont mind the cost please, terry ex fyffes man
cheers

dunballdocker
15th December 2011, 21:44
mentioning fyffes, they had a place in shaldon that is a holiday complex now right on the river that runs to teighnmouth,,any one remember sailing up to shaldon,,

frank elliott
16th December 2011, 16:54
Hello Terry. Answers to your questions are : It was a 41 day trip Portsmouth to Portsmouth and it cost as far as I remember and it was 1995,was 950 pp about 24 a day. Great value for a fantastic voyage to some never to be forgotten ports.Things that happened will never be written into the prayer book! My friend Howard Wickes and I got the OK from our wives to do this last fling and off we went. Niew Nickerie off up some jungle river in Suriname was the most fabulous 4 days and then Paramaribo ( the crew called it Paradiso ) for 3 days really was that. Georgetown in Guyana up the Demerara river was a bit rough,we were warned to be a bit careful there.However,Howard made a cine recording of the full trip,it was so good that Fyffes referred it to the BBC and it was shown on a travel programme shortly afterwards.The ship was wonderful,great food,lovely accomodation,though a lot of Fillipono crew,but good. F.

terence
16th December 2011, 22:02
hey thanks for the info frank that was cheep for 41 days
a few years back well not so long a go i sent them an email
to go on a trip but they said they did not do them no more
got very fond memories of fyffes cheers mate
terry

terence
16th December 2011, 22:20
hey frank put a photo on sn of mv cottica,
dont think there as been one on ?
cheers
terry

stan mayes
17th December 2011, 00:31
That was a very enjoyable and cheap cruise Frank -
it reminded me of my short trip in Fyffes Manistee..
29th October to 9th December 1948.
Tilbury - Kingston -then Jamaican ports of Luzia - Montego Bay -
Oracabessa - Port Antonio - homeward had engine trouble and went
into Horta Azores for repairs then London for discharge..
It was like a cruise and we were paid for it!!
Stan

frank elliott
17th December 2011, 15:10
Thanks Terry. Yes indeed. We were to learn that within a year of that Cottica voyage that Fyffes deciced to exit shipowning and just charter in ships to their requirements. They sold the 3 ships Jarikaba, Coppename and Cottica ( as reasonably new) to a Spanish company that converted them to refrigerated fish factory ships.The ships were reefers and capable of about 20 fridge containers on deck.Allsorts of junk down below and containers on deck with chocolate,dairy products,packeted food,onions, apples,potatoes,tractors,trucks etc on deck outward bound then Bananas and mostly empty containers home.
I have copy of the cinecamera record on about 5 hours of cassettes.Im sure I have a few photos if I can find them in all my clobber.Like everything else, must look them upand try to get picture of Cottica into SN. How do U do that from a photo? F.

terence
17th December 2011, 20:52
hi frank, so u dont have a printer?
regards
terry

Jim S
19th December 2011, 18:48
Ships Monthly of March 1995 had a two page article "A Captain and his Ship"
describing Cottica. - A footnote stated that the fare for a 35-38 day round trip was 1980 per person. Accommodation comprised one single and three double en suite cabins.

terence
19th December 2011, 21:03
hi jim so how come frank got it for 950?
terry

Jim S
19th December 2011, 21:39
Terry,
I haven't a clue that was the price quoted by Cargo Ship Voyages Ltd of Woodbridge, Suffolk.

I was going to say maybe he had to work his passage but some might take it the wrong way.

Mind you sometimes all that you read in magazines even good ones such as Ships Monthly can be wrong.
The article that I mentioned has Cottica's speed as 20 knots - I doubt it, by the horsepower and size of ship 16 knots may be nearer

Jim

terence
19th December 2011, 22:58
cheers for that jim , yep 16 knots is about right
frank might get back to us /
regards
terry

frank elliott
20th December 2011, 16:45
Hi. Jim S + Terry. 16 years ago and all I'm going by is memory.It was 1995 when a was near a proper .There wouldn't have been too many takers then for a trip into the 'almost' unknown for 1980 pp.That may have been the quoted price for a double and 1980 would have taken a person on a 'round the World' with Bank Line or some German,French or Danish Companies at the time. Also I doubt if my friend Howard would have stumped up at that price. I now have found a postcard picture of the ship,I see that she only carried 20 ft.containers,I suppose limited by shoreside abilities in small S.America ports.Anyway she is of 4666grt and5320bhp and quoted speed of 16 knots. Terry, I do have a printer/copier,rarely used and never for uploading pics,only for printing off typescript.So wll have to figure out how it's done.Do U still want pic.of 'Cottica'. Jarikaba was the first of the 3 and had 3 holds of 9 decks and looked a proper ship.The Coppename and Cottica followed with 3 holds and 10 decks so the foreend of the ships were built up and did not look so proper.

R58484956
20th December 2011, 17:07
Photo of bridge of Cottica on page 40 and on page 37 photo of Coppename both on www.photoship.co.uk, "old ship picture galleries "C"

David E
20th December 2011, 23:28
That was a very enjoyable and cheap cruise Frank -
it reminded me of my short trip in Fyffes Manistee..
29th October to 9th December 1948.
Tilbury - Kingston -then Jamaican ports of Luzia - Montego Bay -
Oracabessa - Port Antonio - homeward had engine trouble and went
into Horta Azores for repairs then London for discharge..
It was like a cruise and we were paid for it!!
Stan

Stan
She was a nice old ship- I did seven trips in her at intervals through the '50s. Always the same run, UK-Kingston-Port Antonio-Oracabessa-UK.She was too big to do the alternative Fyffes trip of those days, to Tiko in the Cameroons.Solid too-we rode out a very severe hurricane
in the Autumn of '55 with only minor damage-scared but safe!

Dave E

terence
21st December 2011, 00:00
thanks lads for all the info hey [tiko] hell of a place
but saying that would not mind going back
well any where would do
cheers
terry

bob nightingale
21st December 2011, 10:30
Hi all,
good memories of Tiko,walked back from village ,along narrow gauge railway line a few times. Trains were Wood burning pre 1st world war german built if memory is ok.
Bob.

DickG
15th February 2012, 12:54
COTTICA

I am engaged in writing a book about the reefers of the Dutch company Seatrade. I have a photograph of COTTICA with Seatrade funnelcolors. I am looking for information about Seatrade employment of COTTICA. I suppose she was chartered some time, possibly as from 1992? Look forward to any news on this.

Dick Gorter
Netherlands

samaru
14th May 2012, 17:00
My wife and I went to Suriname on the MV Cottica in 1999. The round trip price was 1980 per person. I have a copy of the steaming log. The total mileage was 8356 and the quoted speed of 16knots is correct. A bottle with my address and message with position which I threw overboard was found and replied to in April 2004 in the Bahamas and another one in 2006, again in the Bahamas. Samaru Hi. Jim S + Terry. 16 years ago and all I'm going by is memory.It was 1995 when a was near a proper .There wouldn't have been too many takers then for a trip into the 'almost' unknown for 1980 pp.That may have been the quoted price for a double and 1980 would have taken a person on a 'round the World' with Bank Line or some German,French or Danish Companies at the time. Also I doubt if my friend Howard would have stumped up at that price. I now have found a postcard picture of the ship,I see that she only carried 20 ft.containers,I suppose limited by shoreside abilities in small S.America ports.Anyway she is of 4666grt and5320bhp and quoted speed of 16 knots. Terry, I do have a printer/copier,rarely used and never for uploading pics,only for printing off typescript.So wll have to figure out how it's done.Do U still want pic.of 'Cottica'. Jarikaba was the first of the 3 and had 3 holds of 9 decks and looked a proper ship.The Coppename and Cottica followed with 3 holds and 10 decks so the foreend of the ships were built up and did not look so proper.