Mounts Bay arrival Portland

STRAWBERRY
12th January 2006, 19:51
Mounts bay is due to arrive Portland Q4 Berth about 10.40 tommorow (Friday)

Bob S
13th January 2006, 19:48
Portland or Portsmouth? The "seawaves" site shows her at Portsmouth.

STRAWBERRY
13th January 2006, 20:46
No Bob, she arrived at Portland today (Friday) at 1015. She is the biggest ship to ever berth at queens pier 4. Two tugs in attendance Wyke Castle and Sandsfoot Castle. Andy

Bob S
14th January 2006, 15:41
Thanks, saved me from a "disappointing" trip to Portsmouth this weekend.

wigger
22nd January 2006, 10:01
Hi,

Any ideas how long she will be alongside at Portland? I wouldnt mind getting a few pics of her.

Wigger.

jbryce
22nd January 2006, 10:41
What is the former Portland Naval Base used for now? Is Mounts Bay on a courtesy visit, or is the harbour still used by the RN?

wigger
22nd January 2006, 11:13
What is the former Portland Naval Base used for now? Is Mounts Bay on a courtesy visit, or is the harbour still used by the RN?

Portland seems to be becoming quite a busy place! The Portland Port website (www.portland-port.co.uk) says that it has won a 5 year contract with (CINCFLEET) to provide 2 deep water berths for warships and Support ships. Each time I get down to Portland there has been at least 2 RN/RFA vessels alongside.

jbryce
22nd January 2006, 21:11
Thanks for that reply,
seems like they closed the place in haste as they don't seem to have sufficient berths in existing dockyards. It won't be a problem for long, if they continue to decimate the fleet.

STRAWBERRY
23rd January 2006, 19:14
Portland Port Have big plans to redevelope the berths making them larger (Possible new Navy carrier berths perhaps?) RFA Do indeed have a 5 year contract, and commercial tankers of all sizes frequent the port for Bunkers and Hull inspections.

Bob S
24th January 2006, 18:56
Hi,

Any ideas how long she will be alongside at Portland? I wouldnt mind getting a few pics of her.

Wigger.
Hi wigger,

Mounts Bay is due in Portsmouth on the 30th January, might be easier for pics.

Cheers

Bob

STRAWBERRY
24th January 2006, 19:00
I have heared today that RFA Mounts Bay will remain alongside in Portland until Mid February. I will keep you updated if you like wigger?!

wigger
25th January 2006, 06:20
Thanks Guys!

I am hoping to get down to Portland this weekend so I'll try and get some pics. When we used to live at Weymouth, on a busy weekend there might be 6 six ships berthed on Queens pier. Is Mounts Bay taking up more than one berth? Apart from some photos I've seen recently of a Leaf class Tanker on Q-pier I think the largest vessels I ever saw on there there were County class Destroyers.(going back a few years)!

Bob S
25th January 2006, 11:31
Read somewhere that HMS Manchester & St Albans arrived in Portland yesterday (24th)?

STRAWBERRY
25th January 2006, 19:44
Wigger, Mounts bay takes up Q4 and half of Q2 (New Numbers than the MoD used to have.) If you have a good zoom on your camara, a good vantage point would be the Verne Prison tunnel, or the RN Cemetary. you could also get a good photo from castletown beach near the port entrance!

wigger
25th January 2006, 20:57
Thanks Strawberry!

Bob S
29th January 2006, 18:20
I have heared today that RFA Mounts Bay will remain alongside in Portland until Mid February. I will keep you updated if you like wigger?!

Your right, her arrival at Portsmouth is now showing as cancelled.

STRAWBERRY
29th January 2006, 20:32
Not just a pretty face Bob, I'm full of facts and other stuff (I'll leave it up to you to make the neccessary comments) When I get an actual date for her departure from Portland I'll let you know, but I doubt if anything is set in stone, not with a new build (well, you know how many defects new builds get before the owners are happy to accept them into service.) I recall, Sir Galahad had thousands (we nicked named her "Wallflower") Andy

R.Philip Griffin
30th January 2006, 00:08
When I saw the info on various ships in Portland, I had a wild guess that you might live somewhere near. Then being brilliant I checked your profile and discovered my wild guess was correct.
Thanks for your humour. I'm sure your wife is both pleased and sorry that you were a champion barbed wire hurdler, still she won't have to attend the Family Planning Clinic anymore.
Rgds Grifmar

STRAWBERRY
30th January 2006, 19:23
Thanks grifmar for those encouraging words, yes, I do indeed live on Portland (Born and Bred, but don't hold that against me) My house overlooks Portland harbour, and Lyme bay (which is nice!) I have not told the wife yet about the accident....If I did, not only will the wife change the locks....my Daughter will dis-own me too, and I love my wife's Chicken and onion Casseroles! Cheers Andy

Rory Bhoy
21st March 2006, 22:33
She's in Pompey at the moment. I join her for my 4 month stint in Portland early April.

Green Shutters anyone?! (*)) (Pint)

STRAWBERRY
22nd March 2006, 19:39
What??? My Wife????

STRAWBERRY
22nd March 2006, 19:40
She's in Pompey at the moment. I join her for my 4 month stint in Portland early April.

Green Shutters anyone?! (*)) (Pint)

Rory Bhoy, pop round for a coffee on the Tugs if you have a spare moment!

Rory Bhoy
28th March 2006, 17:32
Rory Bhoy, pop round for a coffee on the Tugs if you have a spare moment!

I'll certainly do that as soon as I've settled in, cheers Andy pal.

Rory Bhoy
16th September 2006, 11:37
Hardly managed tae get a spare minute to myself during the day Andy pal, sorry about that! :(

STRAWBERRY
16th September 2006, 12:16
Hardly managed tae get a spare minute to myself during the day Andy pal, sorry about that! :(
Not to worry, the offer is still open when ever you're in portland! Andy

herbietheone
6th February 2008, 07:06
Seems that the Illustrious is due to be alongside this weekend.