End of a Line

skymaster
12th January 2006, 20:48
Were the Mahsud3 and Maihar2 the last two ships buit for brocklebanks?

Mike

john g
13th January 2006, 13:40
I believe they were the last ordered in Brocks colours and the first to be constructed , for Brocks, outside of the UK. I remember as a Brocks apprentice engineer the order being announced on the BBC news under the Cunard banner, at the time the UK shipbulding industry was in crisis and orders going abroad (Sweden)were not good news.The last UK constructed Brocks boats were Mahout and Markor.
There was a trend of Swedish built vessels for Cunard Brocklebank under the Moss Tanker flag then a followed by a fleet of bulk carriers built in Spain.
I don't know exactly when Cunard Brocklebank ceased trading but I believe most of the operations were charter work up to the end...john g

Billy1963
13th January 2006, 14:46
According to the Ships List. Brocklebanks disappeared in 1983

http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/lines/brock.html

Tony Crompton
13th January 2006, 18:02
I have often wondered what happened to Brocklebank people right at the end. Were they just "Sacked out of hand"? I wonder if many went to Cunard on the bulk carriers though they did not last long,also at that time Cuinard were getting rid of ships like there was no tomorrow.

How the world changed. When I joined Brocklebanks in 1956 there was no question that you had a career for life and would end up as Master if that is what you chose.

The last ship I was on was the Mahout in 1975, Piloting her into Middlesbrough Dock. They came to Middlesbrough to load steel and railway lines. By the mid 70's nearly all the heavy steel was being shipped out in bulkers of 20-25,000 dwt. These all had enormous steel hatches with none of the hassle of loading it into general cargo ships. These ships could load a full cargo in the time it took to put a few railway lines in a Brocklebank hold with the relatively small hatches.
--------------------------------------
Tony C

john g
14th January 2006, 15:35
Tony thats a good question . Are there any Brocks bods out there who saw it all come to an end ,if so how did it all happen ?or did people just drift away . I must be honest I left early 70's and thought the writing was on the wall the for the general cargo with days in port with good runs ashore. Suppose we were lucky in those days without realising it.

jordiboy
14th January 2006, 18:28
In the early 1960s with CP, used to take up to three weeks to load full load of general cargo at several Continental ports then cross the atlantic to Canada and the lakes took another three weeks drop of here and there then pick up full cargo of flour or grain for Liverpool. Then did it all again wonderful life.

Cunarder
15th January 2006, 02:12
John G - Yes we were indeed lucky - and no, we didn't realise it - or at least I didn't. How I kick myself now for not making better use of the times, sometimes weeks, we spent in port!

Alan Marsden

michael james
15th January 2006, 08:49
John G - Yes we were indeed lucky - and no, we didn't realise it - or at least I didn't. How I kick myself now for not making better use of the times, sometimes weeks, we spent in port!

Alan Marsden

How I agree with you Alan, we enjoyed the times obviously , but had we known they were to disappear so quickly, we would have savoured
them more and our memories would have been even more nostalgic !!!

Mike Wild
30th January 2006, 17:20
As indicated in a previous post I've only just got around to these postings, but I might be able to help with yours. I joined the newly formed Cunard Brocklebank in 68 after my interview with a guy called Phil Brand in Cunard Building on the Pierhead. On paper it meant you could be posted to Cunard, Broccklebank or Moss Tanker ships, with Port Line being added not much later. I know as a cadet I sailed on Masirah (twice), Mangla, Markhor, Scotia and Port Nicholson, then Lustrous, Malancha (Alaunia as was) and Port Caroline before transferring into the cargo division office in London.
Eastern Services division was a joint venture with P&O scheduling the Red Sea and India run on a one for you one for me basis, then taking on the Port Line BluePort service to South Africa. Meantime, ACL and ACT were being run in seperate offices as full blown consortia, with very little obvious CB input.
Cunard Arabian Middle East Line (CAMEL) was an attempt to plant CB in the forefront of the massive growth inb the Jeddah containerisation trade, with Port Sudan and Hodeidah as feeders, but with the canal reopened it was too easy for anyone to join the trade and undercut the rates. They didn't use in house vessels anyway, they were all Sea Containers Hustler class container ships.
By then old Brocks men like Tony Spriggins, "Nobby" Grayson and Bob Winlo were esconsed in the office. Even Hal Ackerley was prised from his beloved Tilbury office for a while.

I left around 84, by which time ships were being sold off left right and centre with no use left for tweendeckers. Think when I started we had 57 ships. When I left there were 8 and most of those were fruit ships. It was certainly the end of an era