Bought in Shanghai

Jardine
21st December 2011, 12:29
Read the 'Bought in Japan' thread with interest. The Diamaru in Kobe was a great place for the BF men.

How many of you shopped in 'The Friendship Store' in Shanghai.

I bought an Red Army black fur hat and parka style jacket in the early 60s. The winters in Hsinkiang and Chingwangtau were no problem with that gear on. Still have them today and experience strange looks from the old guard around HK who recognise the jacket from the bad old days.

tony poutch
21st December 2011, 12:54
Read the 'Bought in Japan' thread with interest. The Diamaru in Kobe was a great place for the BF men.

How many of you shopped in 'The Friendship Store' in Shanghai.

I bought an Red Army black fur hat and parka style jacket in the early 60s. The winters in Hsinkiang and Chingwangtau were no problem with that gear on. Still have them today and experience strange looks from the old guard around HK who recognise the jacket from the bad old days.

I bought a soft leather coat which was my pride and joy and I had it for years,my 4 and 6yr old sons soaked it in a bath of cold water and toilet bleach,and that was the end of that

MikeK
21st December 2011, 15:33
Besides the usual decorated eggs etc we bought some .177 air rifles from there. very good quality for the money and used to pass hours at sea shooting at (and missing !) flying fish up on the bow. Also frightened the wits out of some shitehawks in Calcutta but the thick feathers just bounced the pellets off.
Was anyone there during Mao's red revolution ? Thousands of chanting demonstrators and the mission all but invisible behind a web of bamboo scaffolding where a hoard of blokes were chiselling off any western style sculptures. Along the Bundt the Hong Kong and Shanghai Bank got similar treatment with bloody great chunks of the Viking ship sculptures that were mounted on every corner raining down onto the street below. Our Chinese crew were messed about something rotten when they went ashore to visit relatives.
All very spectacular, albeit a bit frightening for us gwei lo !
Does the take over of the Eastern Moon by Red Guards ring any bells with you Jardine ?

Andrew Craig-Bennett
21st December 2011, 17:58
Was brought up on the story of the BF 2/O in the Red Guard era who, in compliance with the Company rule book, but contrary to his Master's very clear instructions, plotted all the way to the berth, was spotted, and spent rather a long time as a guest of Mao.

We had an absolute company rule (afloat and unwritten, but approved of ashore, equally unwritten) that you never, ever, paid any attention to Naval blokes who sidled up to you in Hong Kong and asked if you could possibly get a good look at whatever it was that took their fancy, and maybe sketch or photograph it, when you were next in Shanghai, Tianjin or wherever.

But I do remember the Seaman's Club* and the Peace Hotel** jazz band (aka the Old Man Orchestra) .

* Shanghai Club, as was

** Cathay Hotel, as was

Come to think of it, I have just called to mind standing in a chemists shop in Nanjing Lu a few years ago with a bunch of colleagues, when the very pretty girl who was with us, now happily married, living in Cambridge and a great loss to merchant shipping, collapsed with a fit of the giggles, on overhearing a shop assistant say, "Yes, of course, we have the Chinese ones, and if you are willing to spend a little more for greater security, we have the Japanese ones, and if you are feeling really confident, we also have the British ones!"

The giggles spread, and we all had to leave the shop in a hurry!

Julian Calvin
21st December 2011, 18:52
Still have my original "Little Red Book" (unsigned by the author). How much is this worth now? Also bought the air rifle. They were very powerful. Still have the furlined hat and gloves, both in good condition, from the trip to Hsingkiang. Must have been the Atreus in '69.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
21st December 2011, 20:06
English or Chinese version?

I remember my original English language one as being printed on quite nice paper with a sheet of tissue paper over Mao's portrait but the ones hawked in the streets these days are printed on rubbish and are I think fakes.

Jardine
21st December 2011, 20:09
The 'Little Red Book' remains one of my treasured pieces from those days.
Also bought a slide rule in the friendship store which had 'Faber Castell' written on it.

Jardine
22nd December 2011, 12:51
You're never too old to get caught. Some time ago I took the short train journey to Shenzhen and bought half a dozen memory sticks carrying a well known Japanese name. These were special....32GB. Yeah right!!!

DURANGO
22nd December 2011, 13:57
You're never too old to get caught. Some time ago I took the short train journey to Shenzhen and bought half a dozen memory sticks carrying a well known Japanese name. These were special....32GB. Yeah right!!! I have been trying to contact you by private message and by email with no luck , would you by any chance know how to get the email address of the Shanghai seamens hospital I spent a month there back in 1962 I paid off sick from the British tramp ship Worthy Down I always promised myself that I would take a trip back there one day I may just do it in 2013 if I,m still around , I have tried to find the email address but have had no luck I know the hospital is still there from photos that I have picked up on from the internet I still have my Chinese visa printed on rice paper to allow me to travel from Shanghai by train to Hong Kong and I also still have the three train tickets that I was given at the time best regards Dave .

DURANGO
22nd December 2011, 14:02
You're never too old to get caught. Some time ago I took the short train journey to Shenzhen and bought half a dozen memory sticks carrying a well known Japanese name. These were special....32GB. Yeah right!!! I just picked up on the place you name as Shenzhen it sounds familar to me did that used to be the crossing from mainland China to the new territorys best regards Dave .

Jardine
22nd December 2011, 14:25
I just picked up on the place you name as Shenzhen it sounds familar to me did that used to be the crossing from mainland China to the new territorys best regards Dave .

That's correct Dave!

Jardine
22nd December 2011, 19:17
I have been trying to contact you by private message and by email with no luck , would you by any chance know how to get the email address of the Shanghai seamens hospital I spent a month there back in 1962 I paid off sick from the British tramp ship Worthy Down I always promised myself that I would take a trip back there one day I may just do it in 2013 if I,m still around , I have tried to find the email address but have had no luck I know the hospital is still there from photos that I have picked up on from the internet I still have my Chinese visa printed on rice paper to allow me to travel from Shanghai by train to Hong Kong and I also still have the three train tickets that I was given at the time best regards Dave .

I'll make a call and revert.

DURANGO
23rd December 2011, 06:21
I'll make a call and revert. Thanks for that any help would be great best regards Dave .