A Bank Line Christmas.....

Alistair Macnab
23rd December 2011, 22:29
Many years have passed since we were all guests of then current Lord Inverforth aboard his ships all over the world and able to toast his photograph looking down from his position alongside the good Queen Elizabeth in the saloon bulkhead at Christmastime.

Some of us even recall the sterner countenance of the first Lord Inverforth who was Andrew Weir, the more benevolent-looking Morton Weir as Inverforth II before it was the youthful visage of Inverforth III - Roy Weir.

They say, 'clogs to clogs' in three generations which was certainly the fate of Bank Line and while we need not be concerned by the fate of the Weir family which has moved on to different things, we can shed the odd tear for the Bank Line we knew and loved and which promised and gave so much for most of us. Bank Line's demise was a mirror of the fate of the entire British Merchant Navy and I often wonder why British shipowners collectively and uniformly threw in the towel when containerization happened?

Well, that thought is for another day. Here we are in 2011 at the cusp of 2012 and we are still rarin' to go! Whether redundancy, dismissal or resignation was the way forward, we all survived in new, mostly better directions but always grateful for the life-giving experiences as young men of the world, sailing the seven seas in all weathers and sharing our good fortune in all the world's greatest seaports.

Did anyone have it better?

Have a Merry Christmas with Thanks to God and as the collective Inverforths said in their seasonal message to us all over the span of the years: "Have a Prosperous New Year"!

sparkie2182
24th December 2011, 00:00
If i may cross the company lines from the Cunard ...............just for once.

A Happy Christmas to you Alistair and to all Andrew Weir's "Old Boys"..........it was always a pleasure to visit your ships in many far flung ports.......and exchange a few cases of beer and a couple of "Walports" specials.

We all seemed to meet the same fate one way or another in the end, but it didn't seem to do us any harm.

It must have been a good upbringing.

Best regards to all at Bank's.

S2182.

Alan Rawlinson
24th December 2011, 10:37
Many years have passed since we were all guests of then current Lord Inverforth aboard his ships all over the world and able to toast his photograph looking down from his position alongside the good Queen Elizabeth in the saloon bulkhead at Christmastime.

Some of us even recall the sterner countenance of the first Lord Inverforth who was Andrew Weir, the more benevolent-looking Morton Weir as Inverforth II before it was the youthful visage of Inverforth III - Roy Weir.

They say, 'clogs to clogs' in three generations which was certainly the fate of Bank Line and while we need not be concerned by the fate of the Weir family which has moved on to different things, we can shed the odd tear for the Bank Line we knew and loved and which promised and gave so much for most of us. Bank Line's demise was a mirror of the fate of the entire British Merchant Navy and I often wonder why British shipowners collectively and uniformly threw in the towel when containerization happened?

Well, that thought is for another day. Here we are in 2011 at the cusp of 2012 and we are still rarin' to go! Whether redundancy, dismissal or resignation was the way forward, we all survived in new, mostly better directions but always grateful for the life-giving experiences as young men of the world, sailing the seven seas in all weathers and sharing our good fortune in all the world's greatest seaports.

Did anyone have it better?

Have a Merry Christmas with Thanks to God and as the collective Inverforths said in their seasonal message to us all over the span of the years: "Have a Prosperous New Year"!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well said Alistair - an excellent summing up of how many of us feel.
I'll drink to the prosperous bit! - and will also drink to absent friends.

However, the end was predictable for the Bank line unique network of routes and trades with the advent of dedicated container ports and the concept of feeder services way back in 1970. It took 15/20 years to get up to speed worldwide, but it was plain to see as it built up, even without the magic of hindsight! Seems odd in some ways that the switch from sail to steam was successfully negotiated, but not the one from breakbulk to containerisation.

As for the Weir family, I personally do feel grateful - and I have no complaints. We were all free to pursue whatever path we chose, and nothing else came close to the overall experience that the Bankline offered. It's worth reflecting that all great enterprises are the result of the sum of the thousands of parts played by the ' foot soldiers ' in that organisation, but above all it was the vision, direction, persistance, and sheer enterprise displayed by the Weir's that blossomed. I tend to agree with the saying that " A successful business is the result of making more right decisions than wrong ones ", and so it proved for 100 years or so. The company deserves it's place in history alongside other famous shipping names.

A happy Christmas, and roll on 2012.

China hand
24th December 2011, 19:37
A very Merry reply to you also Alistair. Moshe would like to send Hag Sameachs to Hamish as well. Bank or Zim? Well , sink or swim, Happy Festive Season to All in our rather weird but likeable little club.

Moderators: this includes Y'all.

Steven Lamb
24th December 2011, 19:55
Merry Xmas Captain.
I remember Xmas all too well on the "Ivybank" (5 weeks Singapore at anchor)
Great ship & great set of lads - both sober & drunk !

All the best
Rgds
Lamby
Sparky on 'GTIA' / 1977

Johnnietwocoats
25th December 2011, 10:28
A very Merry Christmas to all.

Alan Rawlinson
27th December 2011, 09:24
A very Merry reply to you also Alistair. Moshe would like to send Hag Sameachs to Hamish as well. Bank or Zim? Well , sink or swim, Happy Festive Season to All in our rather weird but likeable little club.

Moderators: this includes Y'all.

China hand - Seasons greetings and a happy new year from Cornwall...

Your ' weird ' adjective has got me wondering all through the Xmas! I asked the Missus and on balance, she thinks I qualify!

( I know - if the cap fits, etc!)

Cheers

China hand
27th December 2011, 19:25
China hand - Seasons greetings and a happy new year from Cornwall...

Your ' weird ' adjective has got me wondering all through the Xmas! I asked the Missus and on balance, she thinks I qualify!

( I know - if the cap fits, etc!)

Cheers

We All qualify Alan, as do our Good Ladies for putting up with us weirdos.
Happy New Year,
May the non-weird god/bible/koran thumping, believers stop blowing each other and us idiots up, and just let us do what we do best:grumble.
(about others, of course: "not me sahib, other man sahib")(Fly)