sly grogging.

danny rafferty
29th December 2011, 11:09
Sly grogging,I don't suppose they use the term now,or do they.Its 54years since I heard the term, but its one i remember well, as I suppose allot my age do..71. N/Z 1958... the pubs closed their doors at 6 pm and if you was not already inside, you had to sneak round to the back and hope the landlord let you in, can never remember not being let in, ; and on occasion to my regret.; As i mentioned in a previous thread i was a 17 year old peggy, a lad out with the men,plenty of money from the shore pay we earned, no women to distract you...just serious grogging, delightful days, I only spent 2 years at sea after which i spent many years underground as a coal miner, but them 2years i spent at sea, and the 10 weeks at gravesend sea school are very special memories

trotterdotpom
29th December 2011, 11:25
The pubs are open till all hours these days, Danny. They have been for years. Sly grogging still goes on though - ask any husband!

John T

ernhelenbarrett
30th December 2011, 07:17
Once when on the Port Vindex at Beauty Point slowly loading apples the 2nd Mate persuaded the Captain that we should have lifeboat drill on a Sunday!!. We motored up to Launceston and as we were then classed as Bona-fide travellers the local cop allowed us into the pub, came in with us and closed the door from the inside...this was on a Sunday!! We had a great time but ended up rowing most of the way to Beauty Point as we had run out of fuel!! The Captain was NOT pleased but we were very "happy"!! That 2nd Mate was named Ian North who was killed on the Atlantic Conveyor during the Falklands War.
Ern Barrett

tondav3137
29th June 2012, 20:45
Sly grogging,I don't suppose they use the term now,or do they.Its 54years since I heard the term, but its one i remember well, as I suppose allot my age do..71. N/Z 1958... the pubs closed their doors at 6 pm and if you was not already inside, you had to sneak round to the back and hope the landlord let you in, can never remember not being let in, ; and on occasion to my regret.; As i mentioned in a previous thread i was a 17 year old peggy, a lad out with the men,plenty of money from the shore pay we earned, no women to distract you...just serious grogging, delightful days, I only spent 2 years at sea after which i spent many years underground as a coal miner, but them 2years i spent at sea, and the 10 weeks at gravesend sea school are very special memories

I think all the lads who were on NZ run went sly grogging, one time in Bluff we where all in a bar grogging just down the road from the police station when the boss of the bar got a phone call from the police that they where about to raid the bar,with that we where taken around the back and hid in a field till the police left, then we all trooped back in and carried on where we had left off , one of the great places for sly grogging was Ma Gleesons where you paid for a bed but never used to get passed the law tondav3137

jimthehat
30th June 2012, 00:27
I think all the lads who were on NZ run went sly grogging, one time in Bluff we where all in a bar grogging just down the road from the police station when the boss of the bar got a phone call from the police that they where about to raid the bar,with that we where taken around the back and hid in a field till the police left, then we all trooped back in and carried on where we had left off , one of the great places for sly grogging was Ma Gleesons where you paid for a bed but never used to get passed the law tondav3137

remember the sly grogging well,so noisy in the pubs with the radio blasting out the trotting races and a bookmaker taking bets.Every port the we bank liners went to in the south island always had some pub doing the business.

jim

tom roberts
30th June 2012, 11:40
Re Sly Grogging or after hours drinking,when I was fishing in Ireland around Dingle we used to use a pub where the landlord had the best excuse for breaking this rule,he would throw us out and close the pub then let us in 5 mins later, his logic was allthough he had to close at half 10 nobody had said he couldnt open again at 20 to 11,the same pub had no mens loo when we asked him where to go he answered outside the door and any where a mile on the right.

cheddarnibbles
3rd July 2012, 16:59
Had a great night Sly Grogging in Lyttelton some 50 years ago when 3rd Mate on Hinakura. We kept one eye on the door for fear the cops turned up........and they did........in the form of the local police pipe and drums band complete with kilts and sporrans playing out the old year (1962 ) with Auld Lang Syne. The Stornawegian crew were great company.