George Irwing - Durban Castle 1942

Irwing
31st December 2011, 12:12
I am trying to find out some more information about one of my ancestors, George Irwing who was a Chief Engineer on Union Castle ships in the first half of the century.

He trained as a civilian pilot and then as an instructor in 1915 and shortly after joined the Royal Flying Corps; his RFC record shows that he was Chief Engineer with Union Castle from 1910 until taking up flying.

He must have returned to his original occupation, as I have found that he was Chief Engineer on the ss"Durban Castle" when she effected the evacuation of the Greek royal family to England in 1942 (copy of London Gazette attached).

Most of the information online about Durban Castle relates to the murder of the actress onboard in 1947. I would like to find out more about George's career with Union Castle; I have looked at the Union Castle Register site but there is no information there.

(I have posted in another of the forums about a George Irwing in the Royal Navy; this is not the same man, they are cousins).

Kind regards
Sharon

ray1buck1
31st December 2011, 12:54
Sharon

There was a George Irwing age 62 with 40 years service signed on the “Roslin Castle” as Ch Engineer in Liverpool 4th November 1948 he was 5’ – 4 ½” in height weight 154 lbs the ship arrived in New York 29th November 1948 having sailed from Liverpool 9th November 1948 she sailed again 9th December 1948 for South Africa

There is a record of a George Irwing aged 65 signing on the “Alcyone Hope” in Avonmouth 21st August 1951 as Chief Engineer the ship arrived in Seattle November 1951 having sailed from Melbourne Australia

Ray

Irwing
1st January 2012, 14:04
Sharon

There was a George Irwing age 62 with 40 years service signed on the “Roslin Castle” as Ch Engineer in Liverpool 4th November 1948 he was 5’ – 4 ½” in height weight 154 lbs the ship arrived in New York 29th November 1948 having sailed from Liverpool 9th November 1948 she sailed again 9th December 1948 for South Africa

There is a record of a George Irwing aged 65 signing on the “Alcyone Hope” in Avonmouth 21st August 1951 as Chief Engineer the ship arrived in Seattle November 1951 having sailed from Melbourne Australia

Ray

Hello Ray,

Thank you very much for that information; you are so kind.

Those records definitely relate to him, as he was born in mid-November 1885. Irwing is frequently mis-spelled, even in official documents and that makes research more difficult.

Many thanks
Sharon

JULIAN2013
16th February 2013, 09:25
hello just today visiting the grave yard here in Zanzibar found the memory of the seilors from the MV DURBAN CASTLE the grave indicating that the ship drowned here in zanzibar on 19th may 1960 if some one need information pls contact me jully_peter2002@yahoo.com

Chris Isaac
16th February 2013, 10:54
Please send me a Private Message with your email address.
I am currently rebuilding a web site dedicated to all ex Union Castle and other British and Commonwealth staff.
I will send you a form to complete that you can give as much information as you already know and I will ask for further information
Regards
Chris