Shaw Savill Society

brandane
2nd January 2012, 07:35
The next New Zealand Reunion will take place in Picton, South Island over the weekend of 28-29 April 2012. The NZ Society would warmly welcome those wishing to attend from Australia and other members abroad. For further information please contact Jamie by private message or email.
Jamie Shedden
Shaw Savill Society
Reunion Co-ordinator

waiwera
2nd January 2012, 12:18
Unfortunately cannot make it this year, but please post some pictures on SN for us SSA people in the UK! Hope it all goes well - You always were a great organiser Jamie!

brandane
3rd January 2012, 01:22
Hi John ~ good to hear from you ~ you must try to get to one of our Reunions.
Did you sail with Mick Bullock ~ he was junior third on Cross in 1968/69 ~ he is captain of containership now ~ and still at sea on Papua New Guinea coast.
I have some magnificent cine film footage of the Cross in these wonderful days.
All the Best for 2012 ~ cheers Jamie

waiwera
5th January 2012, 17:30
Yes think I remember Mick Bullock. Jeff Eade and Keith Lyons as J/3/0's on the cross - we must all be around 65 years old now!
Great if you could post some of your cine film on U Tube?? - certainly wish I had invested in a cine camera - or at least taken more 35mm slides but c'est la vie. Yes will try and tie on a NZ visit with one of your re unions. Regards John

Duncan112
5th January 2012, 17:50
Sailed with Mick in CNCo, on the mighty ship that is my avatar great shipmate and bumped into him in Lae after he had retired from CNCo, good to hear he's still around.

gadgee
5th January 2012, 21:29
Yes think I remember Mick Bullock. Jeff Eade and Keith Lyons as J/3/0's on the cross - we must all be around 65 years old now!
Great if you could post some of your cine film on U Tube?? - certainly wish I had invested in a cine camera - or at least taken more 35mm slides but c'est la vie. Yes will try and tie on a NZ visit with one of your re unions. Regards John

Sailed with Geoff Ede when he was 2/0 on the Star. Here is a link to his current(?) bio:-

http://www.severnlink.com/uploads/profiles/geoffrey-ede-severn-link.pdf

pbeart1
5th January 2012, 21:49
The next New Zealand Reunion will take place in Picton, South Island over the weekend of 28-29 April 2012. The NZ Society would warmly welcome those wishing to attend from Australia and other members abroad. For further information please contact Jamie by private message or email.
Jamie Shedden
Shaw Savill Society
Reunion Co-ordinator

Any of you guys in the Shaw Saville Society know what happened to Mike Saunders (Shifty)? He was Chief Elect on the Atanda and had been on the Cross and Corinthic, possibly also the Northern star
Thanks ... Paul Beart (Plum)

brandane
6th January 2012, 00:25
Hi John

Thanks for two other names we sailed with ~ Keith and Jeff ~ remember them both very well.
Thanks Paul for the link to Jeff's very successful business ~ always good to know what old shipmates have done with their lives.
Any news on Keith?
Would gladly upload Shaw Savill cinefilm on to You Tube or indeed here on SN if I know how to do. Most of my cinefilm is now on DVD ~ so how easy to transfer to online webpages? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have one short piece of film of the Last Shaw Savill ship ~ containership Dunedin leaving port of Auckland for the last time. I have footage on Southern Cross and Northern Star ~ some of which Des Cox used in his movies Ships to and from NZ.
Cheers Jamie

brandane
6th January 2012, 00:31
Hi Paul B (Plum)

I recall Shifty very well on NStar - but no idea where he can be located.
Can ask some of our engineers in NZ ~ Len Tarleton keeps in touch with many in UK and often attends UK reunions so I am sure can find out any news on him. Wally Watson is now Vice Chairman of UK Society ~ so he will be able to update any news on engineers ~ watch this space!
Cheers Jamie

brandane
6th January 2012, 00:37
Hi George

Mick has been home for Christmas - not sure if he still home but will let him know that you have been in contact. Mick and I became good buddies when we sailed on Southern Cross in 1969 ~ we sailed round world voyage and cruise to Japan ex Australia same trip.
Cheers Jamie, Auckland NZ

pbeart1
6th January 2012, 16:54
Hi Paul B (Plum)

I recall Shifty very well on NStar - but no idea where he can be located.
Can ask some of our engineers in NZ ~ Len Tarleton keeps in touch with many in UK and often attends UK reunions so I am sure can find out any news on him. Wally Watson is now Vice Chairman of UK Society ~ so he will be able to update any news on engineers ~ watch this space!
Cheers Jamie

Thanks Jamie,

I would be appreciative. I sailed with Len Tarleton when I was a Junior Lecky on either the Suevic or Corinthic; one of the great guys of this world.
Regards
Paul beart (Plum)

KIWI
7th January 2012, 23:03
Did any member of SS&A Society sail with a engineer Johnny Mallard?I sailed with him on P&O's Maloja & he contacted me here in Wellington when he was on either Southern Cross or Northern Star but have lost contact since.As an aside I lent him my car to go for a run up to Paraparaumu which I pronounced Pakeha fashion Paraparam.He got as far as Otaki before asking directions.He of course did not associate the sign posts with my verbal directions & went on for twenty or more k's. KIWI